LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch pressure plate resurfacing yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pressure plate resurfacing yay or nay?

What's up guys? I need some advice and opinions on whether or not I should try and get my a pressure plate I have lying around resurfaced or just get a new one with a kit. First off the pressure plate I have is a centerforce dfx with the weights on it, also the surface on it when I got wasn't wavy or warped from what I can see of course that can't be seen by the naked eye but the clutch didn't have very many miles before it was removed from a buddy's car. I would like to get a competition 4 puck or 6 puck and run it with this PP or if it's not worth it I would just buy a whole new kit. My power goals in the near future will probably be around 550 to the wheels. Anyone who has done this or any other info would help be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Depends. I would not do it as your taking off material and if you take to much off you could lose clamping force. Run down is if you take .005 you could get away with it. However if you take .010 off you would have more open space for the clutch disc to run. Now I am not an expert but I dont know if the springs are allowed to move farther up and push the disc closer. I would just end up buying a new kit. That way I would not have to worry about it.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 93QWKZEE
My power goals in the near future will probably be around 550 to the wheels.
IMO if you are planning on making anywhere close to that power level the last thing you want to do is use a hodge podge clutch.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm leaning toward a whole new setup for the price of Comp Clutches and all the good feedback from everyone,I'm Just going with them.To bad they don't make a twin disk for LTx's.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The PP will lose clamping force the longer it's torqued down to a disc. A fresh plate would be better.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can resurface it but you have to bolt the thing back together. I have done this with good and reliable results. Any competent machine shop can disassemble it and reassemble it but the re-assembly nuts (grade 8 BTW) should be staked well to prevent backing off.

I have personally seen new pressure plates that were not totally flat for whatever reason. This is likely due to it been cheap Chinese **** but as we all know, thats about all there is left for us at the moment. If you decide to resurface, obviously do as little as needed but there can be benefits to doing this meaning a perfectly flat friction surface.

Also IIRC, due to the physics of a diaphragm spring, the removed surface of the PP will not significantly, negatively impact the grip of the clutch. I think it was clutchnet that explained this to me. Might be wrong though, could have been BS.

Last edited by wrd1972; 12-05-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

This is where I get confused some say you can and some say don't do it because of clamping force will be lost. Centerforce says don't do it and to just buy a kit if replacing,But there are a buttload of companies that sell just the discs???Competitiion clutch being one of them! ACT also say it can be done.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93QWKZEE
This is where I get confused some say you can and some say don't do it because of clamping force will be lost. Centerforce says don't do it and to just buy a kit if replacing,But there are a buttload of companies that sell just the discs???Competitiion clutch being one of them! ACT also say it can be done.
Centerforce is looking to sell clutch kits. Duh. You just have to decide for yourself based on the amount of wear to the current PP.

Quick Reply: Clutch pressure plate resurfacing yay or nay?