LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dumps off y pipe, street cars..need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Dumps off y pipe, street cars..need advice.

I know people are running this setup. Im trying to get an idea of sound, and how tolerable it can be and ground clearance. Ive searched and come back with alot of dumped true duals but not y pipes.

Right now i have Jet hot long tubes, hooker off road y pipe, 3 inch manual cut out, to 2.75" I pipe into a flowmaster muffer of some sort. I love the sound of the car, but i know that flowmaster is hurting me. I cant seem to find a deal on a good used cat back. I remember buying a SLP LM-1 for 100$ awhile back and now everyone thinks there rusty *** cat back is worth 300$ or more!

My goal is to ditch the 3" manual cut out, Im tired of messing with it, its killing my ground clearance as well. The jet hots and hooker y tuck up nicely, the cutout is another story with its flange. Today i was thinking about just a dumped y pipe, but i want something that wont make me want to blow my brains out, but still frees up horsepower, and doesnt kill ground clearance. My first choice is a used hooker aerochamber or magnaflow catback, with a 3" I pipe. But with the prices for a used one, and having to find one forsale its hard to stay with the idea. This is what got me thinking about the dumped y pipe, but it would have to be compareable to a hooker or magnaflow catback sound wise. Also looking to keep ground clearance because i want to lower the car a little at some point, nothing crazy, mostly want the front end to come down a little.

Anyone have input or vids? lessons learned? ( or thoughts on how weird a trans am looks with no visable tail pipes? lol)
Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your gonna be setting off car alarms left and right with a dumped y..
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sound will be a bit louder, and you will have some drone inside the car. Ground clearance shouldnt really be a concern if your using something similar in size to a dynomax bullet muffler which tucks up nice and tight under the car. This setup is definitely not for everybody and could become rather annoying if this is your daily driver.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

How is your cut out angled? Is it angled down? Itf thats the case it chould be angled to the side. I dont see how your down on clearance b/c of the cutout......... Id just look for a used electric cut out and call it a day...........
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a magnaflow universal 4x9 dumped off my Y and at idle you can just hear it a little at cruise speeds its a mellow rumble and at WOT it just screams. Ground clearance is pretty good, I did have to smack the rear seat pan with a BFH a few times to tuck it up tho. TBH I'm not 100% satisfied with it, but it is definitely a good bang for the buck daily drive-able setup. I've got a video if you'd like to hear it.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

the hooker y pipe moves the cutout back to where it cant tuck up as nicely.

^ wysemunky, are you running long tubes and ory? if so post that up.

the reason i want to do this is because when the car was put back together i drove it a few times with 2.75 pipe into the 3inch y pipe. massive exhaust leak since it was just sitting there, but she had alot more power it seemed.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

put a bullet and a turn down on the end of the y pipe and call it a day.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A 2 1/2" X pipe with dual 4 X 9 Magnaflows, dumped or run to the back.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep long tubes and ory http://youtu.be/XMhneJ7JRyg
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Here is mine with an ORY and dynomax bullet muffler with a turn down. Very loud, you get used to it though. Your eyes will tear up when sitting in traffic (fumes). Have a friend rip on it down the street and then you will realize why everyone looks at you at stoplights. My friend would not pass it for inspection because it didn't exit outside the vehicle, I don't know what your rules are like. I ended up putting a magnaflow on it which drastically reduced the noise in the cabin but still has a loud tone when driving behind it.

I found my used magnaflow with like 5000 miles on it for $125 on craigslist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2rU...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

you will eventually get sick of it. sometimes sound can be deceptive.... may not sound that loud by yourself, but you might find yourself yelling to talk to a passenger.
if its a race car, do a muffler on the y.
if you drive the car several times a week, just put a catback on it. you probably wouldnt see much of a difference at the track either way, honestly.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

If you are worried about it being annoying, it probably will be. I'd stick with a catback, it's worth it if you dd the car at all.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would have laughed my *** off if it blew your plate cover off lol
Old 12-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Captain Double Post

the rule is the exhaust has to go past the rear axle ,at least that is the rule for ohio
Old 12-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Captain Double Post

i dont like dumped y pipes, if your going to do that go duals, after my duals i hate y pipes, but honest i would just get a decent catback, lt1s have a pretty good sound to them
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was running a dynomax bullet off my y pipe and it fit perfect under the car. The muffler was inside the DS tunnel so clearance was no issue ever. Now drone on the other hand could be a bit much at times for others in the car.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

I was thinking about driving the car more, it literally just sits all week. i drive the lexus. Trans am is 20-30minutes away from where im living. I drove it yesterday down to where i live. It needed that BAD. Thought to myself, maybe ill just drive it this week. Come out this morning and find my window bashed in.

Anyways about the exhaust. I like the sound of it now, but i know its just holding power back. And im sure a dumped y pipe will drive me nuts without exhaust tips, trans ams kind of need them to look right.

I found my used magnaflow with like 5000 miles on it for $125 on craigslist!
Thats what id love to find, but hell, people think they are gold for some reason now around here.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
the hooker y pipe moves the cutout back to where it cant tuck up as nicely.

^ wysemunky, are you running long tubes and ory? if so post that up.

the reason i want to do this is because when the car was put back together i drove it a few times with 2.75 pipe into the 3inch y pipe. massive exhaust leak since it was just sitting there, but she had alot more power it seemed.
A 3" Y single system is only rated to 370 hp before becoming a restriction, a 2 1/2" dual to 500 hp. An article from the past stated at the 600 hp level, the Hooker Y created a restriction of 70 HP ! What could it be at 400 hp ? I believe those are FWHP numbers.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Nothing is better than TD’s. My only problem with the car is trying to race people, once you get to a stop light they don’t want none
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ao8...el_video_title
Old 12-11-2011, 03:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you like the sound of it now then you could always just add an electric cutout for those times you want to be rowdy and need that extra power. I agree that a dumped bullet would get annoying pretty quick, but since I am running a full sized magnaflow muffler, I would say if anything it is too quiet and I am considering doing the X pipe with dual magnaflow bullets. I never hesitate to drive mine where ever or when ever, I drove 4+ hours to bowling green and back for the shootout, I have it out almost every weekend cruising and I drive it whenever I wanna go get groceries or don't feel like taking the f250 . I have no problems having a conversation in it even with the radio on, I also don't have to turn the car off to go through drive-thrus which a few of my friends have to do.

I hate to hear that somebody smashed your window I hope you have full coverage with a low deductible. I also would have laughed if I had blown my makeshift plate cover off.

Quick Reply: Dumps off y pipe, street cars..need advice.