LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Swapping from Dynatech to Pacesetter LT headers.. install and coating options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011 | 03:37 PM
Banned

Default Swapping from Dynatech to Pacesetter LT headers.. install and coating options?

So pretty soon I'm going to make the swap from the Dynatech ceramic coated LT headers I have in the car to some Pacesetter LT's. I'm doing this simply for ease of installing the rest of the system... If anyone is familiar with the Dynatech headers they don't offer the Y pipe that fits them anymore, and none of the aftermarket ORY's fit them. I've been through several of them and I'm at the end of my patience trying to make them work.It sucks because they are great headers and really nice quality. I don't want to just get a Y pipe made because the shops around here charge an arm and a leg, it won't be mandrel bent like the rest of the exhaust, and it won't be stainless.

So what I've got now is a set of Pacesetter LT's (painted), a stainless Pacesetter Y (the 6LE one), full Magnaflow 3" catback, 3" E cutout, and CME valance/tips. This way I will be able to bolt up the whole system myself and it will all be stainless.

I just finished stripping all the paint off with aircraft stripper and now I need to get them coated. I have some VHT high temp ceramic/silica primer and flat aluminum header paint, but I have heard some bad things about this stuff and I DEFINITELY don't want the paint to bubble and have to take them back out.

Ceramic coating isn't an option right now, the coating would cost more than the headers lol. Anyone have experience with ceramic powder coat on headers, or have any other suggestions on what I can do to get a good durable coating on them? The car is rarely driven only in the summer.

Also with the pacesetters, they are advertised 1 3/4 primarys but on the inside ports right where the tubes meet the flange, the welds protrude a lot into the tubes which looks like it would choke off flow a bit. The dynatechs are clear through with no obstructions. Will this restrict power at all?

Sorry for the long *** post lol Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-2011 | 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

The pacesetters are a good quality, and that paint should hold for a while.
I never used anything and mine rusted up some.
Old 12-21-2011 | 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

if your worried about the weld on the primaries just take a die grinder or even a drill with a small grinding stone and grind em down.
Old 12-21-2011 | 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its a little late now but for what you paid for the new headers and Y, you could've purchased stainless mandrel bends and had a Y-pipe made...or have an existing one modified to fit the Dynatechs...
Old 12-21-2011 | 10:44 PM
Banned

I thought about that but then I'm worried about the rest of the exhaust mating up to the custom Y... it seems like it would be a PITA where as with the pacesetter setup I can just bolt everything together easy peasy

Originally Posted by VinR1
Its a little late now but for what you paid for the new headers and Y, you could've purchased stainless mandrel bends and had a Y-pipe made...or have an existing one modified to fit the Dynatechs...
Old 12-22-2011 | 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

The ceramic coating is really the only way to go. High temp paints rarely work (I used VHT... looked great for about 30 minutes).
Old 12-22-2011 | 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

I just bought some of this to try this weekend or next on a set of Pacesetter painted LT's for a bolt on car I'm building for someone. I love POR stuff so hoping this will work.

http://www.por15.com/FACTORY-MANIFOL...ductinfo/FMGH/

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2011 | 08:43 PM
Banned

I totally forgot about the POR-15! So I could put it in a paint gun and spray the headers with it? Any idea how much you would need for coverage on a pair of long tubes? 8oz or pint?

Any curing or baking required?

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
I just bought some of this to try this weekend or next on a set of Pacesetter painted LT's for a bolt on car I'm building for someone. I love POR stuff so hoping this will work.

http://www.por15.com/FACTORY-MANIFOL...ductinfo/FMGH/
Old 12-22-2011 | 08:48 PM
Banned

Hmm what about the POR-20 Aluminum? They are closed right now so I'll have to call tomorrow to find out all the info. That 20-aluminum seems like it might have a more polished finish. I'm also curious about the high temp paint and top coat combos, they have one called sterling silver that sounds like it would look really nice.
Old 12-24-2011 | 06:18 AM
Banned

Anyone have experience sand blasting? I just picked up a little spot blaster gun and some crushed glass media to practice with. Would I degrease the headers before or after blasting, or both? Or do you just blast them wipe them down and coat?
Old 12-24-2011 | 06:29 AM
10 Second Club

Always degrease before then wipe down right before painting.

Quick Reply: Swapping from Dynatech to Pacesetter LT headers.. install and coating options?