LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

prob with surging.... at a dead end i need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post prob with surging.... at a dead end i need help

ok i really need someone that lives in oklahoma that would be willing to help me with my camaro. im at a dead end and out of options.. it runs great when its cold but once it warms up the rpms start fluctuating but not super bad, and when you drive it, it starts kinda cutting out and surging on me i dont know if it has something to do with the fuel system or what. if you go to some of my other posts i have asked but i still never really had an answer to my? i thought it might have been a vaccum leak but turns out its not there is no hissing/high pitch sound. and i did the propane thing and rpms did not change... if i am not able to get it fixed im going to put it up for sale... or trade for something else... i hate to do that but im fed up...

its very frusturating
Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

When is the last time the O2 sensors were replaced? Unplug them (front two before cat(s)), drive around and see what happens.

Year? Mods?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Teching In

When is it actually surging? At idle, WOT, top end, low end, or anytime in between?

I know I have a little surging when coming to a stop every once and a while but i think that's mostly because of a bad tune.

I am also seeing surging at the top end of 2nd/3rd gear when at WOT and i've replaced fuel pump, opti, coil, plugs and wires, you name it and it still won't go away. It did however get much less when i upgraded to the 255 walboro pump, so mine may still be fuel related.

Give us a little more specifics and it would help in trying to figure it out. Wouldn't want you to sell your car just because of this!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Unplug your MAF to keep the car in open loop and see if it persists. Sounds a lot like a faulty O2 or MAF screwing with the fuel trims. What codes is it throwing? One faulty sensor can trip several random codes.

When my driver side O2 quit I pulled 3 DTCs: random misfire, one of the banks was too lean, and a precat O2 fault on sensor 1 bank 1. The car was fine until it went into closed loop. The idle would drop about 100-200 RPM and the engine would stutter with light throttle.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

ok thanks guys and ive changed all of the fuell system except for fuel rails and lines and regulator. and i have a billet MSD opti (not just the cap and rotor) and its surging at about 45 mph and above. the faster i drive the less it does it lol and when it surges at low rpm it almost dies on me. and the 02s are new but they are the universal 02s.. i have #42 lb bosch 3 inkectors and a walboro fuel pump..and i only have the 02s after the cat because i have headers and have no cat. and its not throwing any codes. the tune is a mail tune from pcm for less, i think i just need to have it dyno tuned to get dialed in real good.. but i'll try unplugging the maf and see what happens.
and i'd like to get it fixed so i can out it in storage before winter really hit hard, that way i can still tinker with it in storage.

i really apreciate everyones help and input
Old 01-23-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are using what o2 sensors? Anything other than gm ones is going to cause you nothing but problems. Spend the money and get the right ones, and not Bosch.

You have headers, how did you extend the wiring to the o2's ? Did you buy a harness to extend or did you splice it up and extend it yourself?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Ok guys I unplugged the maf and it didn't even stay running it started and check engine light came on and died... And I extended the 02s myself and I am using ones from orileys I told them I did not want bosch lol, oh and when I hit the gas at 4300 rpm blackish gray smoke comes out of the exhaust, could an exhaust leak cause maj. Prob?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

What the hell is going on with our LT1s lately? I have seen many cars with the similar symptoms including mine.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Continuity test your extensions and put the right o2's in it. Your car is running rich as noted by the black smoke. Pull your spark plugs and replace them. You are chasing your tail and doing more harm than good. Get the above corrected and go from there. Putting cheap o2's in your car and looking for the car to perform flawless is like pissing in the wind. If you crossed a wire doing your own extensions or not have a good connection in the heat circuit of the o2 is going to cause the symptoms you have. Then add to the fact of not having the right o2's.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I will buy the new 02s and extensions and go from there but it'll be next month before I can purchase them because I have to change the fuel pump in my 95 s10 l.ol damn fueling issues.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a surging problem too...

mine only does it at idle, after its warmed up after driving. weird, i know.

it surges and then stabilizes it self. any idea?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

I have surge at any cruise speed below 40 mph during very light throttle.. My solution go fast or use more throttle.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

ok guys did some research this morn and found something out, check the throttle position sensor, they say that when they start going bad it has the symptoms of what were experiencing. i'll order my new one from jet performance on the 3rd cuz thats when i will have the money, if anyone that is having this similar prob wants to get another tps and try to see if it helps and or fixes it plz do, that way the rest of us will now what to do and if its worth spending the extra to get the best. i hope this helps fix our prob.
im still going to get the 02s and proper extensions.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackjack325
i have a surging problem too...

mine only does it at idle, after its warmed up after driving. weird, i know.

it surges and then stabilizes it self. any idea?
mine does almost the same thing
Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are replacing the tps make sure you elongate the mounting holes for adjustment. Set tps voltage .67 closed throttle,and make sure you see 5v w.o.t. key on, engine off. Test this first before you buy a part that may not be needed.

Quick Reply: prob with surging.... at a dead end i need help