LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Ticking noise w/ Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Ticking noise w/ Video

I Have a 1995 Z28 Camaro and ive had this ticking noise for a couple months now, it just recently has gotten worse, most likely due to the cold. It also today developed a new noise thats kinda hard to explain. I tried to film it the best i could. I cant quite figure it out, I pulled the valve cover off one day and there was alot of moisture ( the white/tan looking goo) caked on the inside of the valve cover. Im hoping it might just be something with the EVAP system. Is there anything easily accessible that I could try? This is my daily driver and only have time on the weekends to tear it apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xn5Q9aQB9k

Let me know what you think, im running out of ideas. And money.....

This ticking noise is starting to drive me insane
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Launching!

That sounds kinda like an exhaust leak to me... but I dunno

Have you tried unplugging your EVAP system to see if it makes a difference?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Yeah I think the original ticking noise was an exhaust leak, I tightened the header bolts about a month ago and they were definitely a little loose. I snugged them up and the noise was still there, so I was thinking it could be the gasket. But this new noise is a little odd..... When its warm, if I rev it up to about 3k and let it fall it has an odd, almost screeching noise that gets quieter and more high pitch as I wait a minute or so. Im going to play with the EVAP tonight to see if thats causing the screeching noise. I have some new lifters coming soon, got a good deal on them. Back when the original ticking started, I was thinking it was a bad lifter. The motors got about 140k on it now so I figured I will start freshening some things up as I go.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like an exhaust leak. A little seafoam though the throttle body will tell you pretty quick if you have a leak or not. If you see blue seafoam smoke anywhere else then out the tailpipes you have a leak.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

exhaust leak
Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Teching In

After tearing it apart last night to get to the lifters, I found that in the number 7, the lifter closest to the driver actually had a flat spot on it. The lifter was chewed up pretty bad by something, and it had a couple more flat spots forming. It was nowhere near to being round. When I put it all back together Ill check for some exhaust leaks.

Ill get some Pics of the lifter up soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

I am having this EXACT problem. it goes away for the most part after the car warms up, but it sounds terrible for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

I was thinking of doing a valve adjustment to see if that fixes it. Did replacing the lifters do anything, or did it end up being an exhaust leak?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Yeah I ended up doing a cam swap within the process of fixing the issue, I really had no other choice. The lifter made some odd indents on the camshaft so I had to replace the cam too. I ended up going with a small Comp Cams 304. But the ticking noise I had didn't go away it was always there even when it warmed up. I tightened up the header bolts while I was at it, I have the locking type bolts. I don't know if that helped any, cause I'm almost positive it was a valvetrain issue. In the video below you can see how badly the lifter was chewed up.

Here's the video of the swap.

Quick Reply: LT1 Ticking noise w/ Video