Is that ok?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

It explains a lot.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys so help me trouble shoot. I am able to drive my car because I got an extension from DMV. Man my car run good and it should. I have new plugs, new wires, new egr, new o2 sensors, new CAT, new water pump, and new opti.
I bought some stuff called CRC 05063, I was told that it will bring down the NO when its time to smog test. But thats just a temporary fix.
What I plan to do even though Ive been told it shouldn't make a different is reset the PCM and run hotter plugs? What type can someone suggest to me?
Anything else I should try??
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
This is getting expensive and ridiculous. Quick back ground. I had long tubes on my 95 z28 all stock. It was time for smog so I took the off and put on some legal california mid length headers,
Took the car to get smogged and it didn't pass because of high HC (and nothing else everything else was perfect), I was told to give it a tune up, so I did. new plugs, wires, and o2 sensors.
Second time it didn't pass. I was told it needed a new opti and water pump. So I replaced those. With the second smog it was high HC again but it did drop.
Now I put in a new opti, water pump, and more new plugs because some of the plugs burned on the headers. Took it to the shop today and this time it was high NO. This was never a problem with the other smogs test.
At 15 mph max is 483 I had 784
At 25 mph max is 494 I had 742

With my other two smog test my NO was under 230 for both test. Now its so high, Im totally confused. Can anyone help out, what can cause a high HC all of a sudden??
i'm not in kalifornia, but if you hc is high, you've got an air leak somewhere. check your exhaust for leaks in front of the o2 sensors.
if you have the ability to look at datastream, look at them, to see that they're toggling fully and properly. while you're at it, get an infrared thermometer. run your engine at 2500rpm for about a minute or so. immediatly check inlet and outlet temps of your cats. outlet should be about 150F hotter.
check your ignition timing if it's movable.

i'm just taking a bunch of guesses here....hope they help......
Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

As you can see here this was my previous smog test. the NO was fine but the HC didn't pass. Fast forward to new plugs, wires, opti, water pump, o2 sensors, CAT, and now I have a new EGR I'm about to put in...what else can I do??
looks like your cat's workign beautifully, with over 14%co2.

no is generally in the realm of the egr valve, and if you're getting too much egr too soon, this can also raise hc.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A warm/hot engine will help in reducing your HC. It will increase your NOx and your CO, but since those are both under control I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
A warm/hot engine will help in reducing your HC. It will increase your NOx and your CO, but since those are both under control I wouldn't worry about it too much.
He fixed the HC with a tuneup and then failed on NOx to a massive extent.

So, OP, here is an easy quick check. Get your hand in the back, on the diaphragm of the EGR valve with the engine running. Then, push it towards the outside of the valve. Does the engine stumble?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05HD

So, OP, here is an easy quick check. Get your hand in the back, on the diaphragm of the EGR valve with the engine running. Then, push it towards the outside of the valve. Does the engine stumble?
OK, my engine is hot right now..Ill try it first thing in the morning.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It won't be that hot...try it now!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05HD

Okay went outside and pushed it towards the outside valve. Yes the car feels like it wants to cut off..
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay went outside and pushed it towards the outside valve. Yes the car feels like it wants to cut off..
Alright good, now we are making progress, we know the passages are clear enough to function. Next, we need to figure out if the solenoid is working.

Do you have a vacuum gauge and enough hose to run it up to the windshield? We need to tape that gauge to the windshield, plumb it back to the outlet side of the solenoid (hose that goes to the EGR valve) and go for a drive.

Quick Reply: Help!! Car won't pass smog for the 3rd time