LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Who here has these Proform valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here has these Proform valve covers?

I've been looking into some dress up stuff for the engine bay and these black Proform valve covers just sexy as hell, #141-131.

I know about the alternator clearance. What I wanna know, is if they're prone to leaking?

Also, do I really need oil cap breathers? It seems like every other LT1 I see has those. My Z28 only has bolt-ons if that matters.

ALSO, I'd like to get a nice looking oil filler cap. Do I need to cap off the other two holes? I can't tell if they're open or not.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've ran them for 10 years, changed rockers 3 times with the same gaskets and never had a leak. Leave the baffles out and hook up the PCV valve connection. I used push in fill caps for the holes.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With a b-body accessory bracket they clear with some grinding and reclocking the backhalf of the alternator.

All three holes are open and push-in, no tabs or notches, threads or anything. You could just plug them.

They don't leak so long as you keep the gasket aligned right which is harder with these than stock.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had these for 2 years no problems here just put a dab of silicone on the gasket and u will never have to worry about it
Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Had them for a couple of years now. Love them. And no leaks
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a lip pn the inside that will prevent them from sitting flat. depending on the gasket thickness some people wont have an issue. I did on my LT4 heads. i shaved it down a little and they were fine.

i had black first but switched to polished.

Last edited by Nastyc4; 02-03-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but.....

I had a set for a while on my '96 Z-28. After I bought them, rather than "shave" the alternator, I took them into work, where I milled a notch to clear the alternator, and then we formed and welded in a piece, to cover the opening. I installed them and was really excited about how they looked. But over time, the bolts would loosen, and the covers would lose tension against the heads, and they'd leak.

I'd snug the bolts, they'd stay tight for a while, then they'd loosen, I'd snug, they'd loosen. I went through this for about 2 months, and I then noticed thatthe top of the cover was beginning to "sag", probably from a combination of the engine's heat, no internal bracing, and my continual snugging the bolts, in order to keep them from leaking.

I removed them a short time later, and trashed them. Too bad, because they really looked good...

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
There is a lip pn the inside that will prevent them from sitting flat. depending on the gasket thickness some people wont have an issue. I did on my LT4 heads. i shaved it down a little and they were fine.

i had black first but switched to polished.
I agree, I had to do the same thing.

I was putting my post together as you were posting your reply, so I didn't see this post until after I clicked "post reply", saw your post, and it jogged my memory.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant speak for fbody guys mine is obviously on a Ybody. I shaved the alternator a tad and added washers to the brace at the manifold point to raise it and it fits without having to cut the cover.

if someone has a pic of the underside i can explain the part that needs shaving
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a set on my Gen 1 motor. I bought them about 10 years ago in the chrome version. Never had a leaking problem or problem with the bolts. The chrome did start peeling off since it sat outside for a few years without being driven.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

I have had them on my car for six months now without any problems, as for the oil cap I went to Advance Auto Parts and they had a push-in chrome bowtie one that looks just like the top of the breathers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
I cant speak for fbody guys mine is obviously on a Ybody. I shaved the alternator a tad and added washers to the brace at the manifold point to raise it and it fits without having to cut the cover.

if someone has a pic of the underside i can explain the part that needs shaving
All I had to do is shave one bolt down on the back side of the alternator and it fit like a glove, took all of 15 minutes
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a set of polished ones on my 414 and a set of black ones on my 350. I got some water splattered on the polished ones and over the winter it corroded them a bit. Totally my fault though. Other than that they look and work great.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So far, it looks like I was the only one to have any problems with them....
Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I'm gonna try these out. Thanks for the input.

So is the PCV valve connection the other option besides oil cap breathers? I don't recall seeing that done often. Then again, I haven't really paid any attention to that kinda stuff until now.

Quick Reply: Who here has these Proform valve covers?