LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Build me a 383...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be the first to say that a 383 on $3000 budget is near impossible to properly build. I only went 383 with my build when I mic'd my crank and found that it was to bad to be ground. I ended up spending just under $5000 dollars for my forged 383. Unfortunately the car is still slow because I have still have a stock stall with that big cam and motor.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

alright guys so realistically, what is the most hp i could get for 3k and how would ya'll do it? and i've got a friend whose dad builds engines for a living and he said he'd help me. any suggestions or anything welcome... even if your just as lost as i am hah
Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_muscle
alright guys so realistically, what is the most hp i could get for 3k and how would ya'll do it? and i've got a friend whose dad builds engines for a living and he said he'd help me. any suggestions or anything welcome... even if your just as lost as i am hah
Your friend's dad probably doesn't have the experience with LT1s so I would rule that out as advice on how to get the performance you want.

You are posed with two choices: Gamble with the 200k short block and add a heads/cam package, or rebuild the bottom end and do a cam swap.

Pros of option 1 - 400+whp easy using GOOD parts.
Cons of option 1 - Likely a seriously short lifespan of the stock shortblock. Could last another 20k, could last 500 miles...there's just no way to tell.

Pros of option 2 - Far more reliable than option 1, allows for future enhancements without risk of needing a rebuild.
Cons of option 2 - 350-360whp, since you won't have any money left over for any headwork, just a basic cam swap, supplemental parts, and tuning.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for option 2 and I am sure most will agree. Start fresh with room to improve on what you already have.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

i'm liking option 2 much better just because i'd rather just do it all at once and not take a chance. what would you think about a 355 federal mogul/sealed power summit racing rebuild kit for 600$ with forged pistons? too cheap? if that would work i could have it rebuild for about 1000 when you count in odd and end things which would leave me with 2k or so to actually build it... i was thinking get a LE or AI package and put it all back together and have it tuned. but again i know i've got to be missing some things. that's why i'm asking ya'll first!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_muscle
i'm liking option 2 much better just because i'd rather just do it all at once and not take a chance. what would you think about a 355 federal mogul/sealed power summit racing rebuild kit for 600$ with forged pistons? too cheap? if that would work i could have it rebuild for about 1000 when you count in odd and end things which would leave me with 2k or so to actually build it... i was thinking get a LE or AI package and put it all back together and have it tuned. but again i know i've got to be missing some things. that's why i'm asking ya'll first!
I would avoid the Summit kit altogether. Since you're looking for reliability on a budget, I would have the stock rods reconditioned (minimal expense), have the stock crank turned (minimal expense, just about indestructible), and a good set of oversized Mahle forged pistons (a good budget piston - Mahle actually makes the OEM pistons in the LT1. Just take a look under a stock LT1's piston head).

For bearings and rings, let your engine builder decide on what's best. That way you put the ball in HIS court if anything were to ever happen to the motor. That way your hands are washed from the situation.

Having said that, I would request good Clevite bearings and Total Seal rings. They've treated me well so far and countless other guys on the forum.

Your assumed price of $1000 to rebuild the bottom end will still not get you very far, even using the above economical option. The machine work (boring, line honing, hot-tanking, magnafluxing, assembly, etc.) will cost more than the sum of the parts. Plan on at least $1500 for the bottom end. That leaves you with ~$1500 for a cam swap plus tangibles - enough to do it (most of the way) properly. There's a few threads explaining exactly what I just described and the associated costs. A few keywords in the search bar should get you the info you need.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with 3k I'd go with a cam only set up Hot cam or CC503 and get some good springs and good supporting parts for the cam swap so you can reuse them when you want to do anything more with the car LIKE the 383 build or a H/C/I set up

just my .02
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Read, read, read, and read some more. Talk to anyone local who builds/races LT1's. Maybe find a "mentor" with a engine or HP similar to what you want and talk to him. The classified section on here can be a real friend to your budget, but you have to know what you are looking at and what you want. A few weeks ago I bought a 385" balanced rotating assembly from a trusted seller on here that I've bought from before for $700 plus shipping. He even let me make payments! Eagle 4340 forged crank, Probe +.040" Forged Flattops, Scat 4340 I beam Rods. The 2 downsides: the rods are 5.7" instead of the 6" I'd prefer (I'll get over that) and I found this deal about 2 months after doing heads/cam on my stock bottom end. I wish I had waited and just did it all at once now, but who knew a deal would come along.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got a unused motor that i builded in 2006, 346 ls1, prepped shortblock, patriot stage II heads.cam, fast 90 NW90 and so on.. 11,4 comprs

i really tried to do a good job, multy layer head gaskets. ls7 lifters, comp cam chromoly pushrods, and take good care of all the little parts, and though its just a little 346 that thing ended up costing alot of money,
honestly i see big *** motors here on the classfields for simular prices all the time..

the plan was to use it in my car this summer, but i do admitt i think about goin 383 with it all day long.

i dream about bulding a 400cid+ aliminium motor. but honestly that is not goin to happen any time soon.. and for me to build a solid 383 shortblock and get a patric G spec'd cam and use my top end would really cost about half the price it would cost me to get the 4xx motor.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their is a 355 LT1 short block for $1600 on LTxTech... brand new.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zraffz
Their is a 355 LT1 short block for $1600 on LTxTech... brand new.
If you are talking about the one that ddr698 is selling, that is a great deal. Doug is a stand-up seller too.

Quick Reply: Build me a 383...