LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

valvetrain questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valvetrain questions

Ok so im going to put 1.6 rockers in my car to raise the lift and get some more out of the cam hopefully. Now I'm probably also going to have to get longer pushrods because the builder used stock length with the cam and he said they were marginally long enough with the 1.5 rockers currently on it. is there a way to measure the pushrod length without an actuall pushrod length measuring tool? i went into the local parts store and asked if they could get one and they had no idea what i was talking about and i looked on comp cams and they want more for shipping then they do for the tool... id like to not have to pay $40 for a $15 tool... so if there is a way to measure this without the tool or somewhere that sells the tool for like $20 with shipping
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can slap some marking compound on the valve tip then with the engine warm turn it over a few times and then check out the patern on the tip.
The pattern doesnt need to be perfectly centered , it just needs to be within the center third of the valve and a narrow as possible.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

i'll need the 1.6 rockers to do that wont i? I dont have them yet, havent quite desided which brand to go with and what do you mean by valve tip? sorry you gona have to explain a little more im kinda valvetrain impared lol

btw thanks for the quick response
Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep you'll need all the parts that are going to be used to mock it up correctly, but doing it with the 1.5s on there will tell you if they are the right length for that set-up, if they are too short for 1.5s they will be too short for 1.6s.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

ok so explain what do you mean by valve tip? i'd kinda like to go try this lol

never mind google rocks lol ill go check it out :p
Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

so ill need to take the rocker off and put the marking chalk or whatever on the tip or on the rocker? put the rocker back on and then turn the engine over? and how will that tell me if the pushrod is long enough?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A magic marker works well as does a dry erase marker. Just mark the top of a valve and rotate the engine a couple of revolutions. The magic marker will wear off where the pushrod is rubbing on the valve. It should be real close to the center.

Try this article for a pretty good read.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...gth/index.html
Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

the engine has 6000 miles on it, do you think the tips would be marked just from use? which would eliminate the need to use the marker and run it... if i just loosened the rocker and looked?

thanks for the article was somewhat helpful in understanding what your saying... if the pushrod is to short there will be a mark twards the inside of the spring... if its right it will be close to center and if to long it would be closer to outer edge.

I wonder if comp could tell me what length of pushrod to use since there the ones that designed the cam they should know what works and what doesnt??? or am i expecting to much lol
Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the valve not only goes up and down but it spins in the guide as well.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

ok so just looking wont work, ill have to go out and mess with it next weekend when i get back to it.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

o and the next question is once i get the rocker loose how do i reset it? ive never done it before... as in getting the lifter *pumped up* and setting valve lash... and once i do one would it be good to go ahead and do them all? the rockers have poly locks on them... how do those work?

Quick Reply: valvetrain questions