LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fan(s) turn on too soon...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan(s) turn on too soon...

Or do they. If anyones been paying attention, I have the car with the mystery "mods" that I keep accidently finding. Now to the question...

Shortly after starting the car, even when its 20 degrees outside, my fan(s) will kick on. I cannot believe that they need to be on yet, so I was wondering if someone had done something to make them come on sooner, where would I check for this? I should time it, but I'm sure its barely running for a minute, if that when the fan(s) come on.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

How about an SES light? Fans come on when the SES is on.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Oh, yes... I figured it was the other way around. That pesky light goes on and off all the time. I dont have a way to find out what the car is trying to tell me right now, and autozone and orielly have been of no help when it comes to scanning.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, there is your mystery. Find what is causing your trouble code(s) and your fans will stop running.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

I was hoping I could avoid that, but I guess its come to that. Next week I'll track down something to scan with.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What year is your car?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm only guessing, because i know nothing about your car what so ever. When my SES came on my fans always did to, it said i had a bad egr solenoid
Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Its a 95, its been trying to tell me something since I picked it up, and I just havent found help in that department yet. I changed the o2s and cleaned the MAP and it ran like new(it had a nasty misfire before). I'm waiting for a new elbow (because I've got all types of holes in mine) and then I will be cleaning intake and throttle body and prolly replacing the MAP. I also stopped the PVC from going to the TB to keep future oil out... that stuff is nasty.

I have 150kish miles on it, and everywhere that its leaking from makes sense and I was hoping that I'd accidently get the SES to quit flashing at me. After finding the U/D pulley, and the air foil and a couple other things that were not mentioned to have been on the car, I figured I'd ask about the fans. I'm not familiar with these cars and didnt even think about the fans coming on because of the light.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

If you are going to work on your own car, you gotta have a way to scan. It is essential as any wrench in your toolbox. Otherwise, you are just going to guess, throw parts at it and waste more money.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I'm aware of that, there were just a number of obvious wrongs from the beginning so I figured I'd take care of those first and then see what the computer wants to tell me.

Quick Reply: Fan(s) turn on too soon...