LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP HELP opti swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP HELP opti swap

so i bought new everything msd for the ignition, and when asking the ppl at the parts store i bought the msd opti with the clover drive, but my early 94 lt1 has a spline shaft drive, and when i pulled the old opti off i didnt pull the cap and mark timing, stupd me i know, but i was expecting an easy swap, now im having to sell the opti and buy another one, but my problem is idk where my timing should be, can i check it and set it like my 327 sbc, set the #1 piston tdc, and allign the rotor with #1 plug wire???? need some advice, and btw i take 400 for the brand new msd opti fro LATE 94-97 lt1
Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing that 94 style opti has a missing tooth so you can only install it one way.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're getting worked up for no reason. There is a key on the opti shaft. Line it up and you're good to go. Spin the motor or opti all you want, as long as the key lines up there's no problem.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Then there is the issue of the LT1 not needing ignition "upgrades" till you have nitrous or boost.

Ask questions first, we would rather help you avoid mistakes than fix them.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing I always do when when replacing the opti, I fire the motor up as soon as it is installed to ensure it is properly aligned. Much easier to do this before re-installing the water pump and other parts and then get bit in the *** casue you were not holding your mouth right.

The motor will run just fine for a few seconds without the cooling system to perform this test.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you bought the parts new why can't you return them for the correct ones?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Hell I offered to sell him all my 95 stuff thats extra since Ive got a pullout motor to build Then he can keep the vented opti & not look back Right??? Cant help em unless they want help He was talkin about some kit & drillin on the cam wtf Itll be here if he wants it
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM

well i was having problems with it just cutting off, nomatter what rpm range or anything, and all mechanics pointed toward opti, and a friend who has owned one for years told me to replace the module to, so i replaced opti coil module plugs wires, etc, and the reason im freakin out is because on first glance i didnt see the groove or keyslot in the shaft, and i havent been out to the shop since the post, and look on nook and tranny .com they sell a kit to convert them, but the way they explain it makes it sound really half assed and dangerous do to the fact of putting your cam out of balance.
i appreciate the help but my father and grandfather are excellent mechanics and they both told me if your gonna do it do it right, so thats why im upgrading everything, and @96capricemgr, idk how you knew what i was planning for this car but eventually(like years) spray and a possible rear mount turbo,
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by guppymech
If you bought the parts new why can't you return them for the correct ones?
had them for longer than 90 days, i work all the time and no time to wrench on the car
Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ignition "upgrades" will do nothing but wear out plugs and opti faster on a car at or below the heads/cam level.
So you are going to cause excess wear and tear for those years.

First thing I bought for my car wan an aftermarket ignition setup, all it did was eat plugs and cause problems, I LEARNED from my mistake.

Quick Reply: HELP HELP opti swap