LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I might be having opti problems again..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I might be having opti problems again..

I have a 93 trans am that I love so much that I turned it into a little street monster lol. 80mm turbo ms2 aeromotive fuel system the works. I turnd it on and ran fine untill it turned off and never wanted to start again. I checked fuel and it was good I check spark and no spark...

I have a msd distributor with msd coil and msd 6al with a 2 step and msd plug wires. this set up has been on the car for a few years. and its been run off the stock ecu, megasquirt is fuel only.

I check spark from coil and no spark so I got a brand new msd 6al because i thought it was part of the problem. I install it and I got spark at the coil now. so I try to turn it on and nothing...

I check to see if im getting spark to the plug and it pulses but with a big pause in between sparks. like: spark....crank crank....spark

so I check the ecu and it checked out fine, I check for codes and it only gives me 12 and 12 means its working.

so I think that the rotor might have bursted inside or somthing like that because this is strange to me. oh and btw motor only has like 3 miles on it... that includes cap and rotor.

any thought on what could be happening?

I just now replaced the distributor and still nothing...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

check your ICM??
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blk3rdgen91
check your ICM??
I have no way of checking it. and iv called all sorts of auto parts and they say that they cant check it so today I orderd a new one and it should be here tomorrow. Im crossing my fingers.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yellowlt1ta
I have no way of checking it. and iv called all sorts of auto parts and they say that they cant check it so today I orderd a new one and it should be here tomorrow. Im crossing my fingers.
here is how you check ICM and find out if the opti is no good

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spark, Fuel, Compression. That's what you need for it to run. Check each of those.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Teching In

It had fuel, compression, and some spark but not consistent enoph to start up the car. I did the icm check but that doesnt really check the icm so I just replaced it and then I got good spark. but still not starting. so I refreshed my firmware on my ms2 and started right up!

so now I cant finaly put it all back together and start some tuning. hopefully no more problems.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your speaking in tongues lol. Can or cant finally put it back together? I'm drunk but I'm guessing ya got it fixed. lol post a vid.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jaycenk
your speaking in tongues lol. Can or cant finally put it back together? I'm drunk but I'm guessing ya got it fixed. lol post a vid.
the problem was the megasquirt 2 ecu. the firmware on it was messed up so it had to be reflashed.

here is a quick video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlQ-KwTCcfY

Quick Reply: I might be having opti problems again..