LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can I get rid of this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012 | 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Can I get rid of this?

Can anyone tell me if I need the hose that goes from the passanger side valve cover breather to the passanger side of the throttle body? I am trying to get rid of unnessasary clutter under the hood. Can I just put a cap on the throttle body where the hose is meant to go and put in an aftermartket breather on the valve cover? Thx
Attached Thumbnails Can I get rid of this?-camintakebefore.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012 | 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

I capped the TB and use a breather on the VC. Its debatable if its good or not to do.
Old 02-29-2012 | 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Two votes for it being okay from my garage. I'm sure someone will chime in on why you shouldnt tho...
Old 02-29-2012 | 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

The hose from the throttle body to the valve cover is part of the pcv system and that air is accounted for with the MAF. When not using this complete system you are introducing unmetered air into the combustion chamber however minute it may be.
Old 02-29-2012 | 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

guppymech is right. However there hasn't been much proof either way. Having said that I've deleted mine long ago.
Old 02-29-2012 | 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Aside from the unmetered air introduced, I don't see how putting a breather on really cleans up anything. You remove a hose, but add a breather. It lets smelly crankcase fumes out and possibly causes oil residue on the valve cover. My vote is to leave the hose on and let the PCV system work as intended.
Old 02-29-2012 | 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

My question is how is it being metered by the MAF? If its venting pressure from the crankcase then going directly into the throttle body that means its no where near the MAF let alone re-entering the system in front to flow through the MAF?
Old 02-29-2012 | 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shbox
Aside from the unmetered air introduced, I don't see how putting a breather on really cleans up anything. You remove a hose, but add a breather. It lets smelly crankcase fumes out and possibly causes oil residue on the valve cover. My vote is to leave the hose on and let the PCV system work as intended.
It plugs the hole in the VC
Old 02-29-2012 | 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
My question is how is it being metered by the MAF? If its venting pressure from the crankcase then going directly into the throttle body that means its no where near the MAF let alone re-entering the system in front to flow through the MAF?
You're not understanding the LT1 pcv sytem correctly. Air from the air filter that has passed through the MAF comes out the side of the throttle body goes into the passenger side valve cover though the engine and out the pcv valve on the drivers side of the intake manifold (passage way connected to lifter valley) from there it goes back into the inside of the intake and is mixed with the rest of the air from the throttle body and burned.

Last edited by guppymech; 02-29-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2012 | 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

A performance engine has no business sucking oil into the intake.

Run a catch can system.
Old 03-01-2012 | 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Originally Posted by guppymech
You're not understanding the LT1 pcv sytem correctly. Air from the air filter that has passed through the MAF comes out the side of the throttle body goes into the passenger side valve cover though the engine and out the pcv valve on the drivers side of the intake manifold (passage way connected to lifter valley) from there it goes back into the inside of the intake and is mixed with the rest of the air from the throttle body and burned.
Yep, it is important to know how things work. The PVC air is like the rest of the air that passes through the air filter. It just takes a longer way around. If you have no MAF (like a 93), then that part of the equation is negated.
Old 03-01-2012 | 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx much everyone, since I am going SD, it's going to be removed. Shbox & Guppy, you really explained it well. Thx.
Old 03-01-2012 | 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good thread, i've been wondering the same thing, and since I have a 93, it's going to be removed then since my hose is cracked anyway.
Old 03-01-2012 | 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fuzzyjk
Thx much everyone, since I am going SD, it's going to be removed. Shbox & Guppy, you really explained it well. Thx.
I am SD and I still have it. Just sayin...
Old 03-01-2012 | 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Aside from the emmisions benefits, the PCV system helps to remove moisture from inside the motor than can possibly lead to quicker breakdown of engine oil and to a lesser degree, corrosion on metallic surfaces such as the top of non aluminum rockers. As the engine heats up and cools down and also depending on weather conditions, you will certainly build up this moisture inside the motor and there is no way to avoid it. BTW, that white creamy stuff under the oil filler cap, its moisture.

In the old days before the PCV systems, the motors had road draft tubes which were long 1" metal tubes connected to the back of the intake and they hung down about 18" behind the motor. The moving car would create a vacuum draw on the road draft tube and ventilate the inside of the motor and help remove moisture from inside the motor.

Removing the PCV IMO has no performance benefits period and can only negatively impact things such as long term reliability of you motor so whats the point?

The biggest negative impact with our PCV and most other PCV systems, is the introduction of oil back into the engines pie hole as a result of upgrades and revving to higher RPMs. I fought this problem for a while and it was bad enough that if you looked into my intake plenum, it was totally coated with oil and from time to time, you could smell oil burning out the exhaust when enough built up and it dripped into a runner.

The solution to this problem as already stated, is to install a PCV oil catch can in the hose between the PCV valve and the front of the intak, just below the throttle body. To this day, I no longer have any oil contamination in the plenum of my intake plus I have a much cleaner running motor.

Lastly if the PCV is deleted, there is no system in place to remove the normaly genertated moisture from your motor as inteded by the manufacturer and I cant see how that can be a good thing.

Last edited by wrd1972; 03-01-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2012 | 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of catch can are you running?
Old 03-01-2012 | 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pillarpod
what kind of catch can are you running?
Its made by Norris Motorsports and cost around $100 from WS6store.com and is worth every penny. It is a very high quality machined aluminum body with a removable top plus it has a drain valve on the bottom. It comes with a mount that can attach nearly anywhere and I have mine mounted on the front of the driver side head.

After about a thousand miles of driving, there might be around 1/4" to 1/2" of oil collected in the bottom so in reality, I would only have to empty it every 10K miles or so.

Old 03-01-2012 | 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where's that hose going to and is it open to air or sealed off?
Old 03-01-2012 | 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Where's that hose going to and is it open to air or sealed off?
In stock form, there is a metal tube from the PCV valve to the front of the intake. I removed the metal tube, replaced it with a rubber hose and the catch can installs right in the middle of that hose. Very easy install.
Old 03-05-2012 | 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

um this could be wrong but i was always told that tube was to release the oil vapors in the vc.. therefore your intake would be pulling it out with the vacuum it makes. when you remove that hose you are preventing oily fumes from goin into the intake.. the breather in its place would act as a vent not and induction site... which explains also why you may see some higher hp cars that have a line going from each vc to a lower point on the header so the vacuum made by the exhaust can replace that suction

ive heard of and seen this used in several different occasions, but feel free to correct me if im off

Quick Reply: Can I get rid of this?