LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

4.10 GM gears ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012 | 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Default 4.10 GM gears ordered!

I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself an early birthday present. Does anyone have any experience with these GM 4.10 gears on a LE heads and cam LT1? Is there a dramatic increase in acceleration? I went with the GM gears over the Motives because I heard that the Motives tend to whine, whereas the GMs are supposed to be as quiet as stock. Im hoping that there is a big difference in performance, because the only thing left for me to buy is nitrous.
Old 03-20-2012 | 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll be pleased. If youre an auto you'll be hitting 4th gear so fast you'll wonder where the other 3 gears went...lol
Old 03-20-2012 | 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Oops forgot to mention I'm M6
Old 03-20-2012 | 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Did you get AAM gears? They're the ones I have and they don't make any noise. I just put in some 85w140 lube after running 75w90 for 3k last year....trying to cushion the gears alittle and the diff runs alot hotter with the 4.10s. Unless you are able to run sticky tires you won't see a big difference in acceleration, all your going to do is spin the tires. If you try sticky tires with those gears in a 10 bolt and M6 you're going to need a new rear end. If you can try to get a ride in somebodys car that has gears to see if you like it. Just don't set yourself up for disappointment with the improvement they give.
Old 03-20-2012 | 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I got summit gears 4.10 in my auto and they are quiet as can be.
Old 03-20-2012 | 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by guppymech
Did you get AAM gears? They're the ones I have and they don't make any noise. I just put in some 85w140 lube after running 75w90 for 3k last year....trying to cushion the gears alittle and the diff runs alot hotter with the 4.10s. Unless you are able to run sticky tires you won't see a big difference in acceleration, all your going to do is spin the tires. If you try sticky tires with those gears in a 10 bolt and M6 you're going to need a new rear end. If you can try to get a ride in somebodys car that has gears to see if you like it. Just don't set yourself up for disappointment with the improvement they give.
I don't take the car to the track so i don't plan on running slicks anytime soon. Its just a mod I wanted to do to compliment the cam and give it a little more grunt for the street.
Old 03-20-2012 | 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

It will be a whole new car with 4.10's....much more responsive and better driveability with the cam everywhere from low speeds creeping around parking lots, to actually being able to cruise in 6th @55 mph without lugging the engine. I put in motive 4.10's in my 6spd car; yea, they do have a slight whine but worth it. You might want to invest in a 10 bolt girdle while your doing this swap for added insurance; that's what I did.
Old 03-20-2012 | 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ahritchie
It will be a whole new car with 4.10's....much more responsive and better driveability with the cam everywhere from low speeds creeping around parking lots, to actually being able to cruise in 6th @55 mph without lugging the engine. I put in motive 4.10's in my 6spd car; yea, they do have a slight whine but worth it. You might want to invest in a 10 bolt girdle while your doing this swap for added insurance; that's what I did.
OMG I forgot all about that.. The surge in the parking lots pisses me off so much. I look like a teenager learning how to drive a stick for the first time

Quick Reply: 4.10 GM gears ordered!