Old 03-29-2012 | 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you ever check the cat/s?
Old 03-29-2012 | 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

93z383 for lt1wismen..lol..imo he is
Old 03-30-2012 | 08:00 AM
Launching!

Thanks man.. I'm just trying to help, that's all. With all the blood, sweat, and tears I've put into building my car from scratch and learning how to do everything myself I know how much it sucks to have problems with your car and not know what else to do.

If you're anything like me you don't have the money to take it to a speed shop every time there's a problem, and not only that but I wanted to learn how to do everything myself. I've dealt with just about every problem in the book and gone through every install imaginable... I learned a lot and try to help out others who are going through the same things. I was just trying to give some friendly advice and get e-raged by some douche bag like I just killed his dog or insulted his mother. lol love the internet...

I hope your buddy gets his problem sorted and if you need any help shoot me a PM.
Old 03-30-2012 | 08:00 AM
Launching!

Btw are any codes coming up at all? SES light flashing erratically or nothing at all? It's tough with these cars because the SES on mine wouldn't come on even when my opti was bad. It was a brand new MSD pro-billet (like a 600$ unit) and it came bad right out of the box. It happens pretty often with what seems like all the opti brands. The car would start, idle, and drive fine until I went any more than part throttle. It was hit or miss, sometimes it would drive smooth, sometimes it would miss, and sometimes it would cut off all together but fire right back up again. Sure as **** it was the fuggin opti.

Clogged cats are rare, but can definitely happen, I wouldn't rule it out. O2 sensor? Not likely, but could be contributing. Your symptoms are pretty serious though. Seems ignition related though. Dead cylinder is also possible, but should throw a code. It sucks because it could be so many things and diagnosing it is next to impossible without swapping parts or having the codes.

Another thing is the PCM... mine got water in it once and the car exhibited bad opti-like symptoms like yours and what I described earlier. It's doubtful but it could happen. Luckily once it dried out it was all good.

If you have the stuff available or if you don't mind letting your buddy use your car as a guinea pig, the best thing you can do is swap known-working parts and see if it helps.

Last edited by 93z383; 03-30-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2012 | 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93z383
Thanks man.. I'm just trying to help, that's all. With all the blood, sweat, and tears I've put into building my car from scratch and learning how to do everything myself I know how much it sucks to have problems with your car and not know what else to do.

If you're anything like me you don't have the money to take it to a speed shop every time there's a problem, and not only that but I wanted to learn how to do everything myself. I've dealt with just about every problem in the book and gone through every install imaginable... I learned a lot and try to help out others who are going through the same things. I was just trying to give some friendly advice and get e-raged by some douche bag like I just killed his dog or insulted his mother. lol love the internet...

I hope your buddy gets his problem sorted and if you need any help shoot me a PM.
yea i know what you mean..thanks alot well probly be working on the car this week..ill let u know the progress
Old 03-30-2012 | 03:04 PM
Launching!

+1 on the clogged cats. Easiest way to tell is check the temperature with a heat gun. If everything is working properly it should be somewhere in the 400-500 degree range after a normal drive. My friends truck was doing the same thing and wouldn't shift out of third. I unhooked the converter and bam, ran like a champ. Usually if it is the converter it will throw a random/multiple misfire code and a MAF code.
Old 03-30-2012 | 03:56 PM
Launching!

i've had a chandler on mine for quite a while. seems to be a good unit for me.

double check that the plug wires are on the right plug.

Quick Reply: Lt1 wisemen wanted