LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

recommended opti replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
Dynaspark life time warantee and if you have a issue the owner will personaly call you to make sure its resolved. They went back to the mit. optical sensor and havnt had any issues.
Running one for 2yrs and absolutely couldn't be happier with performance and the service they deliver. - Had the stage III when I was running a POS Delteq setup and when it died, sent it back and got the stage II for 100.00 rebuild fee (and it was rebuilt) and have been loving it ever since. I haven't had an opti last more than 12months until this one.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya ive had my dynaspark for over a year now. Granted i dont drive my car much but when i do i beat the **** out of it. A buddy of mine is doing the advanced life time one and is holding up and you cant beat the price if ur on a budget.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

I went through 3 optis. My last one which still works for 2 years now. I was pissed that they were getting moisture in it, so I opened it up and put RTB on the seals and no problem. Now if that means that I got a good one or the RTB worked I dont know.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really, it's gonna be hit and miss for you no matter what, but certain brands improve your chances like AC Delco, ACCEL, Dynaspark, OEM. Chandlers have some that are DOA. I've heard nothing but bad about Duralast Optis. I've read good and bad about MSD. Maintaining the rest of your engine is gonna have a lot of bearing on its longevity. Some people get leaks in the front and the balancer throws oil up and it gets in the opti. That's what happened to mine. Someone let a leak develop and when I pulled the opti off, oil came pouring out. Contaminated all the coolant I drained. >_<
Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Chandler is holding up very well.

I think a lot of it is the installer...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
I have 2+ years and 10,000+miles on a cardone select all new unit from advance auto parts.. It has a lifetime warranty, they can't turn u away at the counter if you have a warranty issue, you don't pay for shipping units back and forth and it's only $200...
It's a no brainer buy one @ your local advance or online for a discount..
I did however fit mine with an MSD cap and rotor, loctited the rotor screws and siliconed the cap and harness connection..
I've been thru rain ,heat and power washes and still ticking.. Matter of fact ,it's going on my 383 in may..
So **** a $400 Mexican made delco. Lol
Problem with that is changing an opti is not my favorite sunday afternoon activity, Id rather do it once than do it 5 times. I have 45k and 6 years on my MSD and its still doing great.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Really, it's gonna be hit and miss for you no matter what, but certain brands improve your chances like AC Delco, ACCEL, Dynaspark, OEM. Chandlers have some that are DOA. I've heard nothing but bad about Duralast Optis. I've read good and bad about MSD. Maintaining the rest of your engine is gonna have a lot of bearing on its longevity. Some people get leaks in the front and the balancer throws oil up and it gets in the opti. That's what happened to mine. Someone let a leak develop and when I pulled the opti off, oil came pouring out. Contaminated all the coolant I drained. >_<
Yup, GM Delco Opti, Dead out of the box, Rotor shaft was pressed in 180* out..
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

GM OEM / AC Delco.....all the way hands down.....ive replaced many of them with the AC Delcos and have had great luck

Quick Reply: recommended opti replacement?