LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 builders near houston?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 builders near houston?

I have been searching these forums and others for a while this evening and I have yet to come up with a definitive answer within the last 6 months, lol. Does anyone know of anyone that can do head/cam swap around the houston area? Any info is appreciated, thank you
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably some small random shop would, most the big ones won't touch them because most LT1s and a good majority of the LS1 F-bodies on the road are pieces of beat up **** with owners who can't afford to do things right. That presents an issue because most the people willing to take them on, need the work so you may not get the best quality of work. Best bet is to do it your self or find a time machine.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Probably some small random shop would, most the big ones won't touch them because most LT1s and a good majority of the LS1 F-bodies on the road are pieces of beat up **** with owners who can't afford to do things right. That presents an issue because most the people willing to take them on, need the work so you may not get the best quality of work. Best bet is to do it your self or find a time machine.
wow.... that is how you treat people's questions on here and you are a moderator? who allows this?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firehawk238
wow.... that is how you treat people's questions on here and you are a moderator? who allows this?
Yea ima agree with this. Some ppl do have very nice LT1/ LS1 and have the money but not the time to take on a major motor rebuild. So a shop is the next best thing. Its pretty bad to see a mod calling out ppl for taking there car to a shop like that.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:10 AM
8 Second Club

Pay to play, if they do good work then it isn't going to be cheap.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's right guys, like it or not...
Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 AM

Sorry its the truth, read in to the last part of what I wrote. Not saying his car is but I am saying the majority of them out there are not nice, the cars on this site are not representative of the majority of the cars out there. Does it suck *** for the guys with nice LT1 cars? Sure, because we got lumped in to that category. It's sucked for us LT1 guys down here for years, because locally most the guys who would still tune/work on them stopped because majority of the cars coming in had so many issues, it just wasn't worth it for them. If you want your LT1 to stay nice, work on it your self or find some one who knows what their doing to help you. LS1 Fbodies are a little easier, so more shops work on them. But Crafty, read this and don't be surprised when most the guys here in Houston do not want to mess with it. The guys that do, be very careful because like Flex said it's going to be pay to play, or they are willing to do it on the cheap.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 04-07-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

The only way to get anything done for a reasonable price is to pull it yourself. You can find a shop that can build a SBC, if they can't do that then they shouldn't be in business.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a guy a little NW of Houston... PM if you want his info
Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Launching!

I pulled my motor and took it to Harolds machine shop out towards the Richmond area. Not sure if you have the capability to pull your own motor and reinstall after the build. I picked out the parts though, he just assembled them.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

There's two very good machine shops in Houston alot of people go to and they both work on lt1 /sbc or bbc motors

As for performance shops I know of two but I'm pm you there names. Also post this question in the tx section for better results.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies guys. It has been rather frustrating trying to do this h/c/i, gathering parts and all. In the beginning I never even considered it would be this difficult to find a shop that wants to (better yet, knows how) help me with my build. You have no idea how badly I would love to do this myself but I'm beside myself worried something would go wrong (#7 exhaust manifold bolt?). Anyway thanks for keeping it real, just have to keep looking maybe I'll get lucky. If not, maybe I'll find the time and courage to do it myself.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by crafty211
Thanks for all the replies guys. It has been rather frustrating trying to do this h/c/i, gathering parts and all. In the beginning I never even considered it would be this difficult to find a shop that wants to (better yet, knows how) help me with my build. You have no idea how badly I would love to do this myself but I'm beside myself worried something would go wrong (#7 exhaust manifold bolt?). Anyway thanks for keeping it real, just have to keep looking maybe I'll get lucky. If not, maybe I'll find the time and courage to do it myself.
When we did the H/C swap on my 93, most we ever did prior to that was a couple Long Tube swaps. There was a shop willing to do it at the time, glad I did it my self because every time I would mention what I wanted to run, double roller timing chain, electric water pump, they would bitch about the extra work it would take. In the end I wanted it done a certain way so we had to do it our self. I am glad you see I wasn't trying to insult you or your car, just stating facts. It may be a daunting task, but if you honestly want it done right, your the only person who cares enough about that car to make sure it happens, no one else is going to care as much, well maybe Tupac, he cared, but he got shot.

Quick Reply: LT1 builders near houston?