LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car is missing - logs and pics - SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car is missing - logs and pics - SOLVED!

Ok car has a bad miss
I took a data master log:

http://www.cdntechnologies.com/camaro/1994M6LT1.zip

And pulled the plugs:

http://www.cdntechnologies.com/camaro/plugs/

Is that oil or gas on the threads?

What's next? Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Jason94z; 05-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your coolant temp sensor been replaced. Its coming up with code 14. Also you removed your EGR without tuning it out?

Holy ****, throwing codes like crazy.

13.5 degrees of spark retard.

What in the hell did you do to this car?

Your running so lean on the right bank bank I bet you fried the valves for starters.

Last edited by F0x Slaughter; 04-08-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Is your coolant temp sensor been replaced. Its coming up with code 14. Also you removed your EGR without tuning it out?

Your running so lean on the right bank bank I bet you fried the valves for starters.
Don't say that! No mechanical damage ok?

AFR heads, big valves, CC306 cam, monoblade TB.
No cats egr iac or air pump, modern muscelcar tune.

It was running great for a few years. Then I stored it for a looooong time. Drove it about 20 miles since I took it out of storage trying to find the miss. Bad gas has blown through I think it's only on good gas now. I'm trying to find out what's wrong and don't know my next steps. I will check plug wires now and see if any are cracked/melted.

How do I tune out the EGR? I have the aldl cable and can get tunercats or whatever I need. So far all I have is that datamaster log I took yesterday to help me figure out what to change or replace to get it running good again. It can do 11's when running right. Right now it's a mess from storage and I don't know where to start.

Thank you,

Jason
Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

PS which side is the right side, passenger or drivers?
The plugs on passenger are black
On drivers white

Thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would do a leak down test or a compression test. The right bank is gone crazy. If you haven't done damage yet I would not drive it until its fixed.

You just tune it out by tuning the PCM.

Passenger side is the right bank. Which your o2 says is running extremely lean. So what you could do is fire it up quickly and hold a screwdriver to each injector harness and you should feel it click, hold it to your ear if you have to. This means the injectors are firing.

A spark plug should be tannish. Pure white on it means its burning water (head gasket leak).

Look at your coolant, if its a milkshake or has oil in, head gasket.

In TunerCat go to Tables > ECM Switch > Uncheck EGR Diagnose Error 32, EGR electric failure Error 27. It won't set off the codes anymore.

Last edited by F0x Slaughter; 04-08-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a similar looking set of plugs on the passenger bank with the drivers side looking clean. Turned out to be a false lean due to an exhaust leak.
Whats the fuel pressure look like?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

I would do a leak down test or a compression test. The right bank is gone crazy. If you haven't done damage yet I would not drive it until its fixed.

You just tune it out by tuning the PCM.

Passenger side is the right bank. Which your o2 says is running extremely lean. So what you could do is fire it up quickly and hold a screwdriver to each injector harness and you should feel it click, hold it to your ear if you have to. This means the injectors are firing.

A spark plug should be tannish. Pure white on it means its burning water (head gasket leak).

Look at your coolant, if its a milkshake or has oil in, head gasket.

In TunerCat go to Tables > ECM Switch > Uncheck EGR Diagnose Error 32, EGR electric failure Error 27. It won't set off the codes anymore.
Thank you
I have a compression tester I will do that and leak down after changing the oil.

If passenger is right bank, is that the one reporting crazy lean from the Datamaster log? Why are the plugs on that side all fowled black? I thought lean would be really light coloured plugs not black? The almost normal looking plugs in my pic are from the drivers side, the really dark plugs are from the passenger side.

I did the listen to injector test before pulling the plugs; all injectors were ticking.

I will look at my coolant. Thank you.

I went WOT a couple times logging; hope I didn't actually fry anything it's an expensive setup I have a totally built bottom, splayed 4 bolt etc, AFR heads, etc.

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Had a similar looking set of plugs on the passenger bank with the drivers side looking clean. Turned out to be a false lean due to an exhaust leak.
So the leak might be on the side that is reporting lean? I checked and couldn't see/find any exhaust leaks on either side.

I pulled the wires and tested them, they are MSD 8.5 and reading between 80 and 170 ohms, no cracks or burns.

Ok so my list is now

1) check coolant
2) ?

Thank you everyone, it's been a decade since I worked on these things.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

No idea I will have to get or borrow a gage.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check fuel pressure.

A compression test will tell you if you have shot the rings, or valves. Leak down test will tell you whats shot, if you hear it in the

Oil: Rings
Intake: Intake valve
Exhaust: Exhaust valve
Coolant: Head gasket

You will usually hear an exhaust leak as its sucking air in.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Check fuel pressure.

A compression test will tell you if you have shot the rings, or valves. Leak down test will tell you whats shot, if you hear it in the

Oil: Rings
Intake: Intake valve
Exhaust: Exhaust valve
Coolant: Head gasket

You will usually hear an exhaust leak as its sucking air in.
Ok good - I will do a compression test, and hopefully no need for leak down test.

Thank you,

Jason
Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it holds compression that means everything is good no damage.

If it doesn't build compression or bleeds off compression you have some problems then its time to go to the leak down test and see what is fried.

Remember to pull the plug wires off so it can't start when doing the compression test. Just pull all the wires, hook up compression test, bump the starter for about 2 - 3 seconds then stop, check gauge. Also if you squirt about a cap full out oil into the cylinder and the compression bumps up, rings are bad.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it holds compression that means everything is good no damage.

If it doesn't build compression or bleeds off compression you have some problems then its time to go to the leak down test and see what is fried.

Remember to pull the plug wires off so it can't start when doing the compression test. Just pull all the wires, hook up compression test, bump the starter for about 2 - 3 seconds then stop, check gauge. Also if you squirt about a cap full out oil into the cylinder and the compression bumps up, rings are bad.
Couldnt he just unhook the injector/fuelpump relay/fuse to keep it from firing, would also keep unwanted fuel out of the cylinders?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a much better option. I am use to working on my Saturn haha.

According to Shbox, just remove the ignition fuse and it will cut the spark and fueling.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

You sure the O2 sensors are ok?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chas010
You sure the O2 sensors are ok?
No not sure.
Car as been in storage for 10 years, anything could be wrong

I will check more things and post back. Thank you everybody!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jason, Matt over on TFBM.

There could be many reasons why its lean on the one side. Sitting for so long can plug up the injectors and not spray properly. May need a good cleaning. If its still running lean on the one side it could be a bag regulator.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jason94z
No not sure.
Car as been in storage for 10 years, anything could be wrong

I will check more things and post back. Thank you everybody!
Wow, that's a LONG time for a car to be sitting! Practically a "barn find" lol. Mine sat for 3 years before finally being resurrected; then promptly blew a head gasket within 100 miles Was is stored somewhere moist/damp? Maybe your opti is full of condensation or rusty after sitting so long or messed up some sensors I would replace plugs and wires and take it from there.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

check fuel pressure. If the regulator is bad it can actually be passing fuel through the vac diaphragm and into the intake causing low pressure and running lean but dumping fuel in the intake where the vac line is hooked up on the passenger side. You can pop the vac line off and see if fuel comes out when the fuel pump is running.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

check fuel pressure. If the regulator is bad it can actually be passing fuel through the vac diaphragm and into the intake causing low pressure and running lean but dumping fuel in the intake where the vac line is hooked up on the passenger side. You can pop the vac line off and see if fuel comes out when the fuel pump is running.
Awesome thank you.
The plenum was full of wet and fuel smells when I popped the TB off yesterday.

Question: My right 02 is reading under 10mv if you look - maybe this is all just a bad 02? Did anyone else notice that from my log? The right bank is also the bank that is dumping fuel at 160

I will check the fuel pressure and that vac line, seems like everyone is saying to check fuel pressure so I better do it.

Since the plugs are our I will to a comp test to see if it's washed or still sealing.

Then I will put fresh plugs, put the good wires back, fresh 02, and take it from there.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dood...lol

Quick Reply: Car is missing - logs and pics - SOLVED!