LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dynaspark Gen III

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynaspark Gen III

Okay I am looking to get the LTCC. But I am wondering if the Dynaspark Gen III will be good? They did switch hands so I do not know if the quality will be the same. Also I seen the Gen III and why are they still venting it? All that is left is the optical sensor. Why would you want air moving through there that could potentially have moisture with it? The system you would think be sealed up now.

Thanks for any help
Brandon
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno lately they seem to be having lots of issues from what I read, seems like everyone has had to sent 1 or 2 back but they apparently have good Customer service.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have one i did send the first two back with bad optical sensors. Good CS claims they are using the good ones again. Lifetime warantee is why i went that route. If you dont like it im sure he will give ur money back he gave me that option
Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

See that exacty what Im talking about!^^^ I wanted one so bad but after searching about them I decided to blow up my two delcos before spending that kind of cash on one.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Okay thanks for the replys. I emailed them to order one just waiting for them to contact back.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All distributors need to be vented one way or another. When you create a high voltage electrical arc from one point to another (rotor to cap), ozone gas is created (O3). Ozone is extremely corrosive and over long times can severely corrode the terminals. We've all seen it - you open up the distributor cap and it's full of white junk. Venting the cap removes the ozone which is more corrosive than moisture pound for pound. Sealing the cap would be BAD.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A+ customer service, I had an issue with one I recieved and they went above and beyond what I expected to make it right. I agree for the money you spend you shouldn't have any issues but no company is perfect.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Their customer service is great. I have an older GenII Dynaspark that I wanted to ask them about rebuilding, and got a friendly email back within a few hours with my options, what it would entail, and the steps I would need to take to continue.

It is only 100 bucks for a full rebuild - both the harness and sensor get replaced. That is a hell of a lot cheaper then a new opti.

In my case I will be selling it when it comes back because I need the RPMs of the 24x setup, but if I didn't then I would be running a Dynaspark as my choice of opti...followed by an OEM piece with the stronger MSD cap/rotor.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

I had it out with them last spring and summer with a bad opti. Bought one and it started developing high rpm issues after 6 months. Sent it back only to have it bad right out of the box, sent it back again only to have it get lost in their receiving dept for nearly 2 weeks and then last a day before it was throwing an ses light again. Gave it a third try and after it lasted a week I was pissed. Good customer service or not, its ******* junk especially for $500+. I switched to a delco and haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
I had it out with them last spring and summer with a bad opti. Bought one and it started developing high rpm issues after 6 months. Sent it back only to have it bad right out of the box, sent it back again only to have it get lost in their receiving dept for nearly 2 weeks and then last a day before it was throwing an ses light again. Gave it a third try and after it lasted a week I was pissed. Good customer service or not, its ******* junk especially for $500+. I switched to a delco and haven't had a problem since.
If you went through 4 of ANY opti in a year, let alone a Dynaspark, I would be looking at other things like improperly routed vent lines, a broken check valve, over oiled filter, or corroded harness.

I would find it extremely unlikely to get 4 in a row bad of even the cheapo no name ebay optis that are under 100 bucks each.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I dunno lately they seem to be having lots of issues from what I read, seems like everyone has had to sent 1 or 2 back but they apparently have good Customer service.
Ive sent back 4 .... CUSTOMER service is spectacular though....

FIrst one was a NO START on the CAR...

SECOND one, had a horrible grinding noise when you spun the rotor, but it ran the car.

THIRD one, had an issue where while holding a steady throttle point the car would kill for a milisecond.

4th one in the car since new top end... seems OK...... We will find out when it hits the roller.!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Puck
If you went through 4 of ANY opti in a year, let alone a Dynaspark, I would be looking at other things like improperly routed vent lines, a broken check valve, over oiled filter, or corroded harness.

I would find it extremely unlikely to get 4 in a row bad of even the cheapo no name ebay optis that are under 100 bucks each.
I guess I just don't know what I'm doing then

Dynaspark has issues plain an simple. They'll send you out a opti that they say has been tested and when you send it back they'll swear to you that there is nothing wrong with it but they'll send you another one to install without a problem. Their idea of testing is running the opti with it hooked to an oscilloscope with a hair drier on it. Those are their words, not mine. When they charge people $600 for an opti that has the same sensor that you find on one from ebay, one has the right to pissed. Especially when you've installed 4 in a row with them just shrugging their shoulders.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If doing an LTCC then all you need is a functional optical sensor which is not a "problem" on the stock opti.

Hell if looking to spend the coin on LTCC and Dynaspark I would say consider the 24X setup as it might not be much more money.

Then again I don't know anything other than how to get stock opti's to survive on daily drivers and 7000rpm street/strip setups. Never had an opti failure in more than a decade of daily driven optis high miles, when you total up my cars I put over 25K miles a year combined average on them.

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 04-17-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by popo8
Ive sent back 4 .... CUSTOMER service is spectacular though....

FIrst one was a NO START on the CAR...

SECOND one, had a horrible grinding noise when you spun the rotor, but it ran the car.

THIRD one, had an issue where while holding a steady throttle point the car would kill for a milisecond.

4th one in the car since new top end... seems OK...... We will find out when it hits the roller.!
4 bad optis?!?! lol welcome to LT1 hell! FWIW I bought a lightly used (<500 miles) MSD opti and it has been great....otherwise I would stick with AC delco because $500 is just too damn expensive for any POS opti. If all you want is a lifetime warranty to keep replacing cheap optis all the time , you can get those at autozone a LOT cheaper...
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ahritchie
4 bad optis?!?! lol welcome to LT1 hell! FWIW I bought a lightly used (<500 miles) MSD opti and it has been great....otherwise I would stick with AC delco because $500 is just too damn expensive for any POS opti. If all you want is a lifetime warranty to keep replacing cheap optis all the time , you can get those at autozone a LOT cheaper...
Yeah... its all part of the game.

I also had a billet MSD opti.... gave me a constant misfire at 51oo rpms.... sent it out... had them rebuild it, and traded it to a friend for some work to my vette.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Launching!

I switched to the MSD billet one...put it on and forgot about it. No issues whats so ever. I am surprised that someone has had issues with the MSD unit.

I run MSD 6AL and MSD Coil and MSD opti is running great...spins to 6500 without a miss.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I read that the issue with Dynaspark was from about a year or so of them using the cheap eBay AIP sensors when they ran out of the better quality ones and couldn't get more from their suppliers.

I was told that after too many complaints and failures, they are now back to the higher end, more reliable sensor.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Puck
I read that the issue with Dynaspark was from about a year or so of them using the cheap eBay AIP sensors when they ran out of the better quality ones and couldn't get more from their suppliers.

I was told that after too many complaints and failures, they are now back to the higher end, more reliable sensor.
I was told the same thing.

I was on the phone with BOB a few days ago, because he just sent my Dyna back... freshly rebuilt... FREE OF CHARGE.

Again, Customer Service is EXCELLENT!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

So is it safe to say that these are the more reliable optispark on the market right now. The reason I ask is because I am getting ready to purchase one of these in about 2 weeks.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by starbucks
So is it safe to say that these are the more reliable optispark on the market right now. The reason I ask is because I am getting ready to purchase one of these in about 2 weeks.
Im gonna honestly say to you.... that everyone is going to have an opinion with this one that contradicts someone elses....

Do your own research and find what you like. And roll the dice, because when it comes to an opti.... thats what it is, a roll of the dice. To me... the customer service and non argumentative helping from dynaspark has been worth every one of the pennies I spent for that 600 dollar unit.

Quick Reply: Dynaspark Gen III