LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for info on Eagles 3.25 stroke 1 piece crank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on Eagles 3.25 stroke 1 piece crank.

I picked up a 92 LT1 4 bolt block several months ago, that has been cleaned and magnafluxed for cracks. Bore is STD and will clean up at .010. I was looking for info on Eagle's forged 3.25 stroke 1 piece crank. My plan would be build a high winding 327 4 bolt with forged internals, AI 200cc heads on a big shot of juice for my Vette. Any help or opinions on parts? Cam size, compression ratio **** like that. I've got a set of old school .030 Forged TRW flattops on forged pink rods with ARP bolts but their not I or H beams.

I also plan on stepping up to 3600 stall and 3.73 gears. The Vette currently tips the scales at 3080 pounds so Tq isn't my major concern. Just thinking about doing something a little different.

Thanks Brian
Old 04-22-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not a high winding 350 and use the stock crank... that's still different.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Mechanically no reason, other than the 3.25 stroke and forging instead of cast. But right now I'm on a stock bottom end running 125 to 150 shot to run with Pullied Cobra's, Gen 5 Camaros and bolt on C5's. Plus over the past several mornings, I'm hearing what I think is some piston slap or rattle in the lower end. Oil pressure has not changed or the water temp but I think it is the beginning of the end. I would like to build something that can handle a fair amount of nitrous, good strong running and be a little different.

I know alot of buddies gave me a tough time when I built a destroked 400 for my Nova and they were right. The 377 spun a crank spacer and bearing less than 6 monthes after being built.

I'm just looking for a forged bottom end and because I've got some **** like those 327 TRW's in the garage it seemed like a good idea.

Last edited by 93 LT1 Vette; 04-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you want to destroke it?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock crank can not be considered the same as the aftermarket cast cranks.

I an not aware of anyone overpowering or over reving a stock crank, just use the stocker and if you really want to wind it high put what we save you on the crank purchase towards a computer system upgrade. I believe the 93 system will turn higher than the 94+ systems but comes with other drawbacks.

In the 60s and 70s metallurgy and manufacturing were not what they were in the 90s, way back then they destroked stuff to keep things in one piece. These days it is not necessary.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
In the 60s and 70s metallurgy and manufacturing were not what they were in the 90s, way back then they destroked stuff to keep things in one piece. These days it is not necessary.
Nope. They destroked to meet class requirements.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I an not aware of anyone overpowering or over reving a stock crank, just use the stocker and if you really want to wind it high put what we save you on the crank purchase towards a computer system upgrade. I believe the 93 system will turn higher than the 94+ systems but comes with other drawbacks.

Don't tell that to the pioneers of Pro Stock who would spin stock cranks to 8k.

P.S. The Trans-am series had a 5 liter displacement cap, which is why the Z/28 was a 302 and Ford had a BOSS 302.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Seems destroking is as popular now in 2012 as it was back 20 years ago. LOL So just run a stock crank and rods with some good forged pistons and balance the rotating assembly is what I'm getting.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Class rules certainly did cause destroking but many old timers I have talked to over the years liked the shorter strokes because they broke too many cranks with the longer strokes even just on the street.

If you don't have to meet class rules and the a stock stroke is reliable to the rpm you want/need why spend money for less displacement.

I don't think displacement is the key to power but at the same time I don't see any point in spending extra to reduce it without some specific reason like class racing.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Class rules certainly did cause destroking but many old timers I have talked to over the years liked the shorter strokes because they broke too many cranks with the longer strokes even just on the street.

If you don't have to meet class rules and the a stock stroke is reliable to the rpm you want/need why spend money for less displacement.

I don't think displacement is the key to power but at the same time I don't see any point in spending extra to reduce it without some specific reason like class racing.
Makes sense cubic inch wise. So are the AI or LE 200cc heads I'm planning, the wrong way to go or are aftermarket heads a better choice for a build. I've seen several LT1's wearing AI and LE's pushing some impressive horsepower and TQ numbers with .560 or .580 lift cams.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you've heard this a thousand times, 'there's no replacement for displacement".
Also wouldn't nitrous work better with a longer stroke...more lever arm to push.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

A 327 with AI's 200cc heads, good cam, and the rpms you would want to spin it to would be well over the rpm limits of the computer... add nitrous and you have made the limitations of the stock computer look even more foolish.

1 sell the pistons...
2 buy a decent set of rods/pistons for the stock crank.
3 Add a great set of heads (AI/LE/equivalent)
4 make a smart cam choice
5 add all the nitrous you can run through your particular set of heads
6 have lots of fun
7 plan on replacing everything else......lol

Quick Reply: Looking for info on Eagles 3.25 stroke 1 piece crank.