LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I ran a single pattern Ultradyne cam some years ago in a 396 (lt1) with AFR 227 heads; had really wicked exhaust flow, ~80% IIRC. This was a Gen3 RX7 with 1-7/8 headers, 3" exhaust and Burns muffler so, nothing too restrictive about the exhaust system. It was the best cam (lap times) out of the 3 others I'd tried in that combination, the other 3 all being dual-pattern.

A single pattern isn't necessarily a bad thing IF everything in the exhaust system flows well... including the exhaust port.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Melkor
I ran a single pattern Ultradyne cam some years ago in a 396 (lt1) with AFR 227 heads; had really wicked exhaust flow, ~80% IIRC. This was a Gen3 RX7 with 1-7/8 headers, 3" exhaust and Burns muffler so, nothing too restrictive about the exhaust system. It was the best cam (lap times) out of the 3 others I'd tried in that combination, the other 3 all being dual-pattern.

A single pattern isn't necessarily a bad thing IF everything in the exhaust system flows well... including the exhaust port.
Exactly.

Single pattern cams are meant to take advantage of a strong exhaust port and will make more torque then a similar intake duration split pattern cam. Isky was a big fan of this, and it makes sense for a street car.

On old SBC heads it makes sense to compensate for the weak exhaust port with more duration, but with a strong exhaust port you can focus on using intake duration to help tweak power and rpm goals, and make more low end by reducing overlap.

While I wouldn't run it on a drag car with a narrow high rpm power range, for a street car or track car that needs power everywhere in the rpm range it makes sense.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to assume the exhaust from the heads out are unrestricted. I know the heads had work, but to what extent I dont really know. The car runs very strong.

Quick Reply: Cam info?