LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stripped Head Bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Cut the head off the bolt with a Dremel, remove the head and the stub that is left.
Sucks but this is what I had to do. Still couldn't get the bolt out after the manifold was out of the way so I had to do heads/cam.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Village Troll

Received 534 Likes on 386 Posts

If you are going to try and torque the bolt out you need to have all the other bolts in place at their torque spec. If you don't that bolt has a massive amount of resistance on it and it will take an excruciating amount of force to get it loose.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill try the bolt remover one more time, if that doesnt work, i guess ill have to lift the engine.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCSWS6
Sucks but this is what I had to do. Still couldn't get the bolt out after the manifold was out of the way so I had to do heads/cam.
This seems the best method if you have enough vertical height to clear the broken stud.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
Lol at u all. Use a turbo socket. I have used them several times even on diesal engines. They work all the time, even in the small spots.
NO ONE is listening!!!!!!! This will do the trick.
You can even buy that socket at Sears. Then put a 3" extension and beat it on the bolt head. THen use a big breaker bar and slowly loosen it. It works everytime.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

You can even buy that socket at Sears. Then put a 3" extension and beat it on the bolt head. THen use a big breaker bar and slowly loosen it. It works everytime.
Those are the same as the bolt removers i was talking about. I didnt know they were called turbo sockets, but theyre the exact same thing. I tried hammering it on top of the bolt, but after maybe less than a quarter turn, it would twist right off.

Im gonna buy a dremel flexshaft attachment to see if i can fit that enough to grind the bolt down a bit, and fit a smaller socket. Ill also use the turbo sockets to get it out, but i need to grind it down first.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Small update, i went out and bought a dremel flexshaft attachment and i managed to fit that in there pretty well. Its a PITA but it slowly managed to grind down only half of the bolt head. There was no room to do the other half, so im gonna buy a smaller grinder tip if i can find one tomorrow.

Ran out of daytime, so hopefully ill update with some good news tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have used these several times when they work great but about as many times when they just chewed the head of the bolt up even more and didn't do anything useful.

Definitely agree on having the other head bolts in and tight. If they arnt all the pressure is on the one bolt your trying to get out.

Quick Reply: Stripped Head Bolt!