LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 Trans Am Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks real good man. I wish I knew how to weld and do body work, mine really needs it after sitting for so long
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floor boards look so much better!!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys, it's been a lot of work so far but it pays off everyday getting to see it look nicer. Too bad you will never see the floorboards. Did some more work, put a 2nd coat of primer on yesterday and the first coat of white today. I also ordered some fat mat today to install. Hoping to reduce rattles, I also plan to fill the rear wheel wells with some spray foam, as well as areas in the dash that can cause a rattle or vibration.

And a random underhood shot

Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome work so far!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! I am waiting for my fatmat rattle trap to get here, then I will be laying it down, hopefully between that and some foam I can get rid of 99% of the interior rattles in this car. I have been sanding and painting all of the under dash pieces, and restoring my interior panels with a heat gun. I'll post some pics up later today.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In to keep updated. Really good work man.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Today I put the final coat of paint on the front half of the floor. I also went down to harbor freight and picked up a heat gun to test out how well heating the interior panels works for re-finishing them. It worked decently well. I also primed the whole foot pedal assembly, and put the final coat of black on the steering wheel support. Hopefully my rattle trap will be here early next week so I can get to work on that. I am still undecided on what to do with the rear of the floor into the hatch area. I may work it a small section at a time, rough it by hand and put a coat or two of white on it just because the factory paint is pretty light and I don't want to run into any rust problems back there later on. After that it will be time to lay down my heat deadening mat on the firewall and front area of the tunnel, then paint the 6 point and begin re-assembly. I also modified my heat box, I will be keeping heat still, but I plan to run my own ducting instead of the factory stuff to free up some space behind the dash.

Before

After

Last edited by 69gto96z; 11-30-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Washed the car yesterday. She was covered in grinding dust. I also found some leaks inside the car just from washing it. I trickled the water on with a very low pressure. Looks like new weatherstripping is on the list now. I also received my first 50 sq ft of rattle trap yesterday, and began laying it down today.

After I finish with the rattle trap, I plan to cover the firewall, and all the front floorboards with Heat Wave Pro from Second Skin to keep heat and engine noise down.

Last edited by 69gto96z; 11-30-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

How much do you estimate the rattle trap mat is going to add in weight to the car? And the Heat Wave Pro?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Sub'd

Looking forward to seeing this progress. Great work so far!!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
How much do you estimate the rattle trap mat is going to add in weight to the car? And the Heat Wave Pro?
The rattle trap is 23 lbs shipping weight for 50 sq ft. I figure it will take 100-150 sq ft. Maybe 100 lbs after it is all said and done. The motor build will be a 6-700 hp FI set-up, so the Extra weight is not my biggest concern. I'm adding and removing weight at the same time, just trying to keep somewhat of a balance of a full weight car.

Last edited by 69gto96z; 06-13-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

How do you figure its going to take so much? I am looking at it like my bathroom floor I guess, which is 25 sq ft, and that looks bigger than the floor of my camaro. Are you doing EVERY surface on the interior? Excluding the glass I dont see how it could possibly be that much.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am basing my assumption off of this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...02-camaro.html

However, I won't be doubling the rattle trap up anywhere. My original weight assumption of 100 lbs includes the luxury liner too. Which will be two layers on the firewall, and 1 layer on the floor boards.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Layed down some more rattle trap and painted the pedal assembly.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

TRUCKS! did a thing on Lizard Skin this weekend, it took 4lbs to coat the entire underside of an extended cab truck with 2 coats. Granted they were able to lay the cab on its back and had to buy a special spray gun, but it claims 30% reduction in noise and heat.

Everything looks great, keep up the good work. Its nice to see someone restoring one of these redheaded step childs rather than just selling and buying an LS1 or swapping the drivetrain over to another body. There will be alot more of these threads in the coming years.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

I bet Turbo is liking that backyard . Keep up the good work!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just be glad yours floors were still in good shape after lifting the floors! Its a ******* bitch to make patch panels with all the different overlaps and frame structures in the way.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

TRUCKS! did a thing on Lizard Skin this weekend, it took 4lbs to coat the entire underside of an extended cab truck with 2 coats. Granted they were able to lay the cab on its back and had to buy a special spray gun, but it claims 30% reduction in noise and heat.

Everything looks great, keep up the good work. Its nice to see someone restoring one of these redheaded step childs rather than just selling and buying an LS1 or swapping the drivetrain over to another body. There will be alot more of these threads in the coming years.
I saw that episode too. I'm def going to use that product on my next race build where weight is a concern. My Z28 got nice and toasty with long tubes and no carpet and insulation. It got old really quick. The rubber mat that the OP is using should reduce the dBs and thermal radiation well beyond 30%. If heard the Op bitch on many occasions of the rattling and other noises from his car. A 30% reduction won't solve a thing lol. All said and done, I bet his interior dBs from road noise and other sounds will be on par with a Mercedes-Benz

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Just be glad yours floors were still in good shape after lifting the floors! Its a ******* bitch to make patch panels with all the different overlaps and frame structures in the way.
Salt sucks!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard of that stuff. I was considering it, but chose to go with the mat bc I don't have any sort of a spray rig, and buying that big of a compressor to be able to spray is out of the question right now. The added weight sucks, but it's worth it to me not to hear the car rattle every time I hit a bump in the road.

Originally Posted by texas94z
I bet Turbo is liking that backyard . Keep up the good work!
He's loving it! Appreciate it!! Hopefully it will have carpet and a dash in it within the next month, then it's time for a windshield.

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
I can imagine that is a pain! Luckily they weren't too bad, but bad enough that there were some holes in it.

Originally Posted by texas94z
I saw that episode too. I'm def going to use that product on my next race build where weight is a concern. My Z28 got nice and toasty with long tubes and no carpet and insulation. It got old really quick. The rubber mat that the OP is using should reduce the dBs and thermal radiation well beyond 30%. If heard the Op bitch on many occasions of the rattling and other noises from his car. A 30% reduction won't solve a thing lol. All said and done, I bet his interior dBs from road noise and other sounds will be on par with a Mercedes-Benz

Salt sucks!
Yep, the rattles have been my number one complaint about my F-body.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I havent done any work to the car, but I did pick up a new DD! 2007 silverado classic

Quick Reply: 96 Trans Am Restoration