LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bolt on WS7 vs Bolt on 01 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on WS7 vs Bolt on 01 Cobra

Well i got my pc lt's, ory, and texas speed rumbler on the other week. Talk about a job...geez. Also did all poly mounts while i was at it and added an lt4 knock module to compensate for the extra noise. Anyways i deleted the egr/air crap and its got the car in limp mode evidentally cause it feels just the same before i even did the parts. Not exaggerating, sometimes i wonder if its a lil slower. lol Need a tune too say the least.

Well i ran into a friend who was cruising in this 01 cobra. Has a programmer, intake, bassani cross pipe and exhaust. Stock headers though. We ran a couple times, 1 of which i had him by a car and the other he had me by a half car. Seems to pretty much be a drivers race or simply who slightly gets the hit 1st wins. I was impressived with my car too say the least so i'm pretty excited too see how well it runs once its tuned. Didn't think it'd stay that close to a cobra while in limp mode. lol

I'll post the vids later. They're on the wifey's cell.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Can't find anyone reputable too dyno tune the bird though. Bluecat and James Short have sworn off LT cars so there's no one within a reasonable drive that i know of. I know alot of you have done well with mail order tunes but they can't be as good as a detailed dyno tune and i don't wanna waste time/money if i can have someone tune it 1st hand. Anybody know of a reputable tuner in the surrounding states of WV?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI "limp mode" is a condition which rarely ever occurs - when the PCM loses most of it's critical input. Deleting the EGR/AIR even without tuning won't cause the car to run any different.

Also I'll assume you meant WS6 because the WS7 is an appearance package for V6 birds.

You should give a mail-order tune a try considering you aren't heavily modded - they are pretty good nowadays. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RhizzleDizzle
Can't find anyone reputable too dyno tune the bird though. Bluecat and James Short have sworn off LT cars so there's no one within a reasonable drive that i know of. I know alot of you have done well with mail order tunes but they can't be as good as a detailed dyno tune and i don't wanna waste time/money if i can have someone tune it 1st hand. Anybody know of a reputable tuner in the surrounding states of WV?
There's several shops here in NC that still mess with them...a bit of a drive for you though. Mine's getting dynoed at PCM for less right now

PCM for less
RPM motorsports
Mayhem motorsports
Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years, many tunes with WWW.madtuner.com on different cars......NOT 1Complaint
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
FYI "limp mode" is a condition which rarely ever occurs - when the PCM loses most of it's critical input. Deleting the EGR/AIR even without tuning won't cause the car to run any different.

Also I'll assume you meant WS6 because the WS7 is an appearance package for V6 birds.

You should give a mail-order tune a try considering you aren't heavily modded - they are pretty good nowadays. Good luck.
well thats what i thought too. I had never heard of a car running any differently from deleteing egr. But after there being no gain at all and knowing how these cars respond too full exhaust i know something was up. When i researched ls1tech i found many many threads of people in the same situation and many members posting that it did happen sometimes when deleting all that.

I don't know if its so much the deleting as it is the pcm not working well with the new mods. But again thats whats kind of contradictive because my 96 TA last year responded like a mad crazy horse with full exhaust. It runs so much better then my current TA and its not that this one is weak. This one ran 8.8 @ nearly 82mph which above the average so i know its healthy.

I had questioned if the header welds on the flanges were too large because they were extremely thick and covering a decent portion of the ports it seemed. I actually grinded them down a bit. It was truly that bad. I don't remember pacesetter long tubes ever looking like that.

Who knows. Regardless i know the ole girl needs a tune so we'll see how she does after that. Oh and yeah i meant too put ws7 because i was told that was kind of a nick name code for a TA converted with all ws6 parts. Guess i was told wrong??? lol

Originally Posted by ahritchie
There's several shops here in NC that still mess with them...a bit of a drive for you though. Mine's getting dynoed at PCM for less right now

PCM for less
RPM motorsports
Mayhem motorsports
Kinda far yeah but i've been to NC many many times. Doesn't seem like too long of a drive anymore. I may have too do that. Where is pcm for less and how much they charging you for a hands on tune rather then mail order?

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Many years, many tunes with WWW.madtuner.com on different cars......NOT 1Complaint
i'll have too check that out sir. Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are the videos lol
Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Where are the videos lol
lol she's still not off work. Should be home in about a hour.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol she's still not off work. Should be home in about a hour.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Kinda far yeah but i've been to NC many many times. Doesn't seem like too long of a drive anymore. I may have too do that. Where is pcm for less and how much they charging you for a hands on tune rather then mail order?

i'll have too check that out sir. Thanks
They are in "NASCAR country" Mooresville. They are charging me $600 for full street and dyno tuning, but mines a "built" 383. I'm sure it's less for a stockish setup...they are selective with LT1's however, Alvin is the tuner and you need to talk to him or be recommended to him...if you call them they tell you "no lt1 tuning anymore" lol....they prefer the LS jobs it seems.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You may have a code for your O2 sensor if you installed the harness extensions. I had a similar problem and it turns out the sensors were taking too long to heat up

Quick Reply: Bolt on WS7 vs Bolt on 01 Cobra