LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My Chinese Opti experiment ended this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Chinese Opti experiment ended this weekend

So after lots of tinkering with my '93 wondering why it was shutting down I finally decided to swap the opti just to see if it made a difference. I had a barely used MSD in the garage that I fixed up for the job, installed it and varoooom, it started right up and...hasn't stalled since.

I can't even remember who I bought the Chinese opti from (someone on eBay), but for the record it had around 1500 miles on it before the stall-outs began. Up until then it ran perfectly. There was no 24x, no codes, just complete loss of ignition when the engine got hot. Funny thing is, it would always start right up afterwards. This was the opti with the black cover.
I had to know how long a cheap opti would last. I guess I know now.

I originally took out the MSD because the housing kept rubbing on the rotor and causing a 24x. I glued the housing down and I'm hoping it will last the summer until I can shell out the $400 on a Delco.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

I read the title and already knew where this thread was going.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Speedy
So after lots of tinkering with my '93 wondering why it was shutting down I finally decided to swap the opti just to see if it made a difference. I had a barely used MSD in the garage that I fixed up for the job, installed it and varoooom, it started right up and...hasn't stalled since.

I can't even remember who I bought the Chinese opti from (someone on eBay), but for the record it had around 1500 miles on it before the stall-outs began. Up until then it ran perfectly. There was no 24x, no codes, just complete loss of ignition when the engine got hot. Funny thing is, it would always start right up afterwards. This was the opti with the black cover.
I had to know how long a cheap opti would last. I guess I know now.

I originally took out the MSD because the housing kept rubbing on the rotor and causing a 24x. I glued the housing down and I'm hoping it will last the summer until I can shell out the $400 on a Delco.
Speedy - Would you mind taking apart the eBay opti and posting a couple pics of what the failed optical sensor looks like? Thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

I took a chance and bought an opti from Autozone, for which I can only assume was of Chinese craftsmanship because with one revolution of the rotor and all the scary noises that came out of it, I had to tell the parts counter person, "Oh hell no!" and got a refund.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, here's a pic of the Chinese optical sensor (on the right) compared to an old Mitsubishi sensor from the AC Delco unit that came with the car (that still worked at 85,000 miles). Disregard the green paint dot on the Delco sensor. The two are very similar, but note the Mitsubishi logo on the Delco unit.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Well I am having the same exact problem you described speedy, the car randomly dies when hot and immediatly starts back up with out giving any codes. But the strange this is I have been using ac delco optis, I just now sent my recently bought delco unit back to summit for another ac delco unit hopefully this works. It's just wierd the you described the same exact problem that I have been dealing with since november
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by starbucks
Well I am having the same exact problem you described speedy, the car randomly dies when hot and immediatly starts back up with out giving any codes. But the strange this is I have been using ac delco optis, I just now sent my recently bought delco unit back to summit for another ac delco unit hopefully this works. It's just wierd the you described the same exact problem that I have been dealing with since november
Are you sure that your problem is the optispark?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

I have literally checked everything at least twice if not three times. Alot of people have told me to check the ICM but since I run Bobs LTCC and It does not use one.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Get yourself an AC Delco opti off of Amazon...it was much cheaper then 400 dollars! Been working great ever since install!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by reservoirdogs12
I read the title and already knew where this thread was going.
beat me to it

Knowing is half the battle. Stick to just there food from now on and even that can be

Quick Reply: My Chinese Opti experiment ended this weekend