LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got Tuned today...Now need experts help???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The knock sensitivity can be adjusted in the pcm, some reports indicate the LT4 module does NOT work right with the OBD1 pcms.

Far as over-advancing.
If the lack of a module caused it to revert to say lo-octane retard and was pulling max timing and the tuner put in enough to make it run well after max retard then I guess I would be concerned about what putting a module in would do. But in a case like that the commanded timing values would have been high enough to make the tuner stop and wonder why the engine wanted so much. I want to say max retard in stock tuning is like 7 degrees. If it was pulling max timing and the tuner tuned around it he would have noticed or should have at least.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Play with your shift points. I think you are shifting way to early. Mine likes 68-6900... Your 60ft is killing you too. on average, every .1 lower in your 60ft is .15 reduction in the 1/4...
Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u are shifting at 6200, by the time the trans completes the shift u are probably close to 6600.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RJBAILEY84
So to answer a few questions for you... I'm running a sock rear with 3.73 gears and a 275/60-15 MT street tire. Running a Walbro 255 pump with 42 lbs injectors. All the fuel seems good. Psi checks out all the way through the pulls to 6300.

Now since everyone said it and the hard on I had to day.. I went to a local 1/8 mile track.. here's the numbers :-)

8.28 @ 86 mom
2.05 sixty foot

The car felt strong coming out the whole with a little spin, but when shifted to second it falls on its face and feels sluggish as hell. I shifted at 6100 and it would drop second gear to 4000 rpms and slowly pull back up..

This was the first time out on a new motor with a little less than 200 miles on it. However comparing to my came only setup before its only 4mph quicker and 3 tenths of a second faster. Cam only setup also made 318 / 322 with the same rear end, cam only, bolt ons, through a 4l60e and a 2800 converter.

So now what do you guys think?
First of all after looking at your build, it seems like you have the ability to make some pretty good power.... After saying that there are some things that you need to seriously consider... If your motor got "dialed in" your looking at a 500 to 550 FWHP maybe even more.... Your measily little ten bolt the first time you hook that car is going to go blow up like a grenade.... Secondly going out to the track your first time and running a great e.t. is a pipedream... all these 8, 9, and 10 sec cars that you see running on here got there from numerous trial and error attempts and learning... with that being said the best thing you can do is forget dyno numbers! they mean very little as other said especially if your running an automatic. You need to buy a sturdy rear end (s60,9inch,12 bolt), and get your suspension dialed in... From there you need to dial in the motor, theres no sense in getting a motor dialed all the way in, running a ten bolt that i could grenade with a geo tracker lol. Not trying to scare you but most of these guys that are running 10's or even high 9's have roughly 20 to 30 grand into there car... once you get the suspension/rear end done get that motor's tuning dialed in (optimal afr and timing is absoloutely critical to making power)... Take my car for example ran low 11's on motor in a 3715 car and driver with a tune about 90% dialed in, took it to a guy that "claimed" he knew what he was doing and my car lost almost a whole second in the quarter, no joke ( thats from an extremely rich afr and little timing)... now i'm learning the whole tuning thing myself and getting her dialed back in Just my 2 cents
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The knock sensitivity can be adjusted in the pcm, some reports indicate the LT4 module does NOT work right with the OBD1 pcms.
Please cite- this applies to my car and I'd like to know more.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help and suggestions gents. As for the 10bolt I know it will get destroyed once the car hooks well. I biggest thing was to get the motor in and running well before swapping out for a 12 bolt. Plans for it real soon.

So for an update. I found my old Tech1 scan tool and started checking the timing advance. Turns up to running around 34 degrees at idle. Does anyone know what this should be for a good starting point? I ordered the cables and download tuner cats so I should have that up and running as well within the next week or two. I want to try to get ready to get this thing dialed in during the track time on my own. Can anyone provide a little advice concerning my timing and where to start? Thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so last night I decided to to check some things out and turns out that i had a code 33 on the DTC. So with that I picked up a new connector and map sensor and put on the car. After changing that out started checking the spark advance and such again. The knock retard was at 0 until throttle was applied during throttle it would range from 0-12 degrees of retard and the advance was idle around 28-29 with a increase to 39 or so during throttle. Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to look for with this or what I should do to ensure the timing is correct or close at least. Is this safe or not? Anyone with advice or experience? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Well now back to square one.. I recently installed the LT4 knock module which seemed to help out a ton.. No according to my Tecch1 scan tool, I'm reading 0 retard at idle and under throttle it seems to be pulling about 1-2 degrees.. Car feels much better in the seat, so my question is should this be retuned again to max the timing for performance or should the PCM correct for the timing on its own?

What do you guys think?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Proof? I've had the LT4 KM in my 94 Firebird in both the old cam only motor and new 383 with no issues at all.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Judging by your torque curve I was going to guess ignition. If the lt4 knock module helped, great! If you return to the dyno and still can't seem to remove the fluctuations and get the torque curve to at least look the way it should here are a couple other things to look at.

I'd like to know more on the top end. Cam specs, spring specs, hydraulic or solid. Also what is the chamber volume on the afr's. From what I remember theyre usually larger than stock.
11.6:1 compression may not be high enough for your cam choice and your desired shift point.

Also I've had springs play riddles with a motor because of certain characteristics, resonance or just not right for the app.

I had an opti that ran smooth as silk and the car would cut out at 6200rpm. I changed a bunch of stuff and found out that one of the plastic buttons that holds the rotor on broke off and the rotor was fluttering.

Hope some of this helps. Let me know what you find.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by matt_paco2010
Judging by your torque curve I was going to guess ignition. If the lt4 knock module helped, great! If you return to the dyno and still can't seem to remove the fluctuations and get the torque curve to at least look the way it should here are a couple other things to look at.

I'd like to know more on the top end. Cam specs, spring specs, hydraulic or solid. Also what is the chamber volume on the afr's. From what I remember theyre usually larger than stock.
11.6:1 compression may not be high enough for your cam choice and your desired shift point.

Also I've had springs play riddles with a motor because of certain characteristics, resonance or just not right for the app.

I had an opti that ran smooth as silk and the car would cut out at 6200rpm. I changed a bunch of stuff and found out that one of the plastic buttons that holds the rotor on broke off and the rotor was fluttering.

Hope some of this helps. Let me know what you find.
Should be hitting the dyno again soon. As for the heads they are the older 210's and the can is a 242/246 on a 110 577/593 lift. As for the particulars I have no clue, I left that to the build to decide due to my lack of knowledge of what works the best.

As for the opti, weput lock tight on the bolts and sealed before install so that should be a problem. Thanks for the help and please keep it coming so I can learn some more from you guys....lol
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

loose the opti go to a distributor and get a 411 ECU, it will be way easer to dial in. and might run a little better. definatly cheaper than 2 Opti No Sparks, I know, I did it, runs like a beast.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The OP's setup isn't that radical, anyone competent should be able to make an opti live on his setup. As covered in at least one recent thread opti problems are more often owner incompetence than anything else. Yes there are guys pushing high rpm and high current hurting them but those are the exception not the rule.

Not to mention the clearance issues of a rear mounted distributor in an f-body.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

my car is in the ball park of 700whp and its fine on the opti spark... opti is fine if you keep the revs under 7K...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did not read all of this just till the dyno graph

Your heads and intake are killing you pull 388ci of air through them and are all done. look at the dyno sheet and it is plain as day. You might crutch around it a bit but you need more air. I played with this issue years ago and got around it but it was not cheap. Probably one of the few setts of stock casting with 210cc intake runers and 300CFM flow at .600 lift

Quick Reply: Got Tuned today...Now need experts help???