LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1997 LT1 Trans Am, The History

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I daily my z06 .... but I take mass transit to work... my job may change locations though and Ill have to drive to jersey city everyday ... 45 miles each way..

if thats the case I may get a 335xi 6-speed coupe.. i cant chance that its gonna snow and have to drive a z06 home
Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xDetroitMetalx
Thanks to everyone else. I'm glad you enjoy the story and that it inspires many of you. I'm hoping once the new gentlemen goes through it everything will be how I want it.
I had a good experience with Performabuilt on here. I think after shipping off my bad core, I got a Stage 2 with largest cooler he had and his shift kit for $1500 shipped

Pretty sure their prices have increased since, but always an option to consider some aftermarket guys
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was highly thinking of them but I kind of like local builders / shops. This guy that is helping me has some very nice experience so I'm hoping. It's all the little details that make these 4L60Es live and he seems to know his stuff, he talks way over my head. If it was just my tranny I had issues with I would have probably went with PB, but there are a few other things that need to be smoothed over with the new set up.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, trans is rebuilt. What failed was coning of the 3-4 clutches due to the weak aftermarket pressure plate. Luckily it didn't put material everywhere, as I inspected was true, the fluid was relatively clean. Not like the first time where it literally burnt every single clutch to the bone. Luckily, I am lucky that the clutches did cone out because the 5 gear palentaries were cheap chinese garbage and were coming apart already. If those blew up the trans would have been toast!

Also the pan was removed and the HV pump was replaced with a nice Melling stock pressure / volume pump. He did run into a snag though because it was hard to find a pick up tube that would fit that specific pan or else I would be picking it up this weekend. He also checked all the bearings of the bottom end and the cylinder walls. Everything looked brand new! This was my first freshly built engine in my life so I had the heebeejeebees! I was extremely happy with that news.

I think I mentioned I had a weird oiling issue and now it seems that the issue may have been a bad pick up screen angle, he said it wasn't level with the pan at all and had around a 20* angle to it. This could have been the reason why my oil pressure was wonkey at 4.5k. I really hope so, because that is the only huge wrench thrown into this build. If that is fixed I will be very happy!

Picking it up Monday, woohoo!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Teching In

An inspirational and great thread Mark!

I own a 97 T/A as well, and I'm just starting my early beginnings with the car. It originally had the stock hood, but I managed to find a OEM Ram Air from a junk yard: then had it painted to match the car.

It's really nice to see someone so dedicated to the car. I'm saving up on upgrades till I convert mine to either a 355 or 383.

Hope for the best for you sir.

-Ilya
Old 08-19-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had my **** since 04 but mine's still sitting lol. Have fun with it!

Quick Reply: 1997 LT1 Trans Am, The History