LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Calling all Bolt On Cars!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Im driving out on street tires and bringing my big n littles, so if that really is legal to have a tire loose in the back of the car I will just do that. Otherwise the front sway bar will go on with only 1 end link plus the back seat and a full tank of gas and I should be good. Valvesprings pushrods and guideplates came in today, gonna start the install tomorrow. Also cheaped out and bought a new prebled slave and master for $93 on rockauto (flame suit on)
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah you can't do that any added weight can't be loose in the car. but im sure you will be fine with a full tank and rear seats. best places to weigh your car are at highway weigh stations when they are closed and no one is around they are always the most accurate. i haven't done a thing to my car and made weight perfectly last year so im not worried.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Im driving out on street tires and bringing my big n littles, so if that really is legal to have a tire loose in the back of the car I will just do that. Otherwise the front sway bar will go on with only 1 end link plus the back seat and a full tank of gas and I should be good. Valvesprings pushrods and guideplates came in today, gonna start the install tomorrow. Also cheaped out and bought a new prebled slave and master for $93 on rockauto (flame suit on)
You aren't allowed to have anything loose in the car. Last year I had my charge box sitting behind my seat because my battery was real weak. The worst case scenario is that you cut a tire down and roll, and now you'll have a heavy loose projectile inside of your car that could hit you and injure you. That is why they want stuff bolted down. The suggestion I made is an easy one that can be very adjustable. There is a scale at the track right next to the timeslip station. It is very accurate. Make a time trial pass and pull onto it. Adjust the weight accordingly.

Here is Kyle Kline's winning pass from last year. Watch at the 2:08 mark as he pulls into the timeslip booth. You can see the scales on the right. There is a digital readout right in front of you.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

That's just like MIR where I weighed my car last week. If the seat and full tank of gas and sway bar are not enough I'll do the dumbbell idea, thanks.

How long do we have to make shakedown passes before the events start? I plan on getting to bg between 4 and 6am and taking a 2 hour nap in the car or on the parkinglot before setting up.

Tony, I hear you are a pro at icing down between passes, what kind of ice bag do you use that doesn't leak water or melt on the intake manifold? Or is that a trade secret you arnt willing to give up? You only lost 2/10 from your pb to your winning time last year in 3500 DA, so whatever you did obviously works.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 08-21-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That's just like MIR where I weighed my car last week. If the seat and full tank of gas and sway bar are not enough I'll do the dumbbell idea, thanks.

How long do we have to make shakedown passes before the events start? I plan on getting to bg between 4 and 6am and taking a 2 hour nap in the car or on the parkinglot before setting up.

Tony, I hear you are a pro at icing down between passes, what kind of ice bag do you use that doesn't leak water or melt on the intake manifold? Or is that a trade secret you arnt willing to give up? You only lost 2/10 from your pb to your winning time last year in 3500 DA, so whatever you did obviously works.
we new england guys know how to be coolllllll
Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

I was born and raised in Fairfield county CT, soon as I turned 18 I was GONE, too damn cold up there and too many kids with the feeling of self entitlement and no desire to leave their home town to strike out on their own. Not that Maryland is much better, voted the rudest state in the country and I believe it. Alright time to step off my soap box. Looks like I should have stayed a little longer to learn how to keep my car cool haha

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 08-21-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

haha tricks of the trade my friend! I actually improvised and filled plastic bags with ice from the hotel ice machine. I also bought a few bags. No special bag just threw it right on there. Didn't leak too much.

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
we new england guys know how to be coolllllll
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

I just read on a few forums that guys just put a trash bag over the bag of ice and then put a towel down on the intake manifold to catch any sweat from the bags. Has anyone tried dry ice?

*edit* heres a place I found that sells it in BG

438 State Street
Bowling Green‎ KY‎ 42101
United States
http://www.homecityice.com/

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 08-21-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Tony doesn't ice down. He disassembles his entire car like a top fuel team. Zero heat soak with everything spread out.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
Tony doesn't ice down. He disassembles his entire car like a top fuel team. Zero heat soak with everything spread out.
heads and bottom end come apart and are dipped into giant coolers full of ice between rounds.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read on a few forums that guys just put a trash bag over the bag of ice and then put a towel down on the intake manifold to catch any sweat from the bags. Has anyone tried dry ice?

*edit* heres a place I found that sells it in BG

438 State Street
Bowling Green‎ KY‎ 42101
United States
http://www.homecityice.com/
Many moons ago when third gens where not few far and between I knew a guy that fab'd up a box that bolted to the top of accell pizza box intake ( tpi system fyi just in case ) and he would fill it with ice. Not a 100% sure but I think he tried dry ice also.
I remeber picking up a solid .2's on my L98 tpi car just from ice and running without the two air filters. Yes I do know the dangers of running sans filters. lol
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Removing the pistons and rods to soak them in a cooler seems like too much work for me, I think Ill just put dry ice underneith the intake manifold after each round and then bolt the intake down on top of it. Or I could just put some ice water in my windshield washer fluid container and run the windsheild nozzles in front of the blades of my throttle body.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Removing the pistons and rods to soak them in a cooler seems like too much work for me, I think Ill just put dry ice underneith the intake manifold after each round and then bolt the intake down on top of it. Or I could just put some ice water in my windshield washer fluid container and run the windsheild nozzles in front of the blades of my throttle body.
that should do the trick....

in all seriousness though I thought about rigging up a cooler full of ice distilled water and hooking up a pump and hooking it to the radiator and pump ice water through the motor in between rounds.... but thats too much work lol
Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

Ive already wired my electric waterpump and my fans to run any time the key is turned to the "on" position, so normally in the pits Ill just open the hood and let both fans run with the waterpump circulating the distilled water with Water Wetter and that cools the motor pretty fast with the motor off. I think Im going to try bags of ice on top of a towel on top of the manifold this time though in between rounds.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

<<< stock water pump here still
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

I only have the electric because I got it for free.99, the stocker is sitting in the garage and will probably go back on when I leave the boltons only world, although it is nice to be able to cool the motor so easily.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

from what i have heard an electric water pump frees up 5-10rwhp. I'd keep it if i were you.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

yea but I definitely notice when im really driving the car hard on a hot day the temps will climb over 210 which it NEVER EVER did with the mechanical pump. With the fans wired to run all the time and the stock pump it sits at 185 constantly.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

I was just reading through the Street Stock rules and just want to make sure I am good on a few things:

1. Are LS1 lids allowed?

2. I have LTs, ORY, and an 18" magnaflow glasspack which exits behind the front seats. Is this legal? It flows less than true duals or a cutout, so I dont see why it wouldnt be, and its not that loud.

3. I have FORD factory drum brakes on my 9", it says "factory drum or disk brakes allowed", they are factory, just not F body factory. Is this ok? They are heavier than stock so I dont see why it would be an advantage.

4. I dont currently have a driveshaft loop, do I really need to buy one right now? NEED THIS ANSWER ASAP

5. I lost/threw away/buried in the attic the plastic things that go at the top edge of the door frames, its part of the interior, but you wouldnt notice they are missing that easily. Also am missing my plastic sills that go on the bottom of the door frame. I have "Carpet and interior panels required forward of the package shelf. Must have headliner, sun visors, instrument panel, vents, heater controls, etc." Is this a problem?

GIZMO, are you the one who makes these decisions? Will any of these things be a problem? THE WORST THING EVER would be to drive 12 hours out there and be disqualified for missing some stupid plastic sills.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

do you have a 160 t-stat?

Quick Reply: Calling all Bolt On Cars!