LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The story of my 94 Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.
Over the past week I used a clay bar for the first time. It was pretty straight forward and made the paint feel like glass. Then I gave it a nice coat of wax. Talk about slick! I'm going to have to think about getting some 'actual' pictures taken of it this summer..
Right now though it's at my uncle's shop while he is tracking down the leak in the AC system.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

B U M P.

Just came across this thread and loved it. I'm sure there's been some kind of update since May 31st, 2016.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I really can't believe it's been over 3 years..

Two years ago(?) I had a guy rebuild the rear end, all new bearings throughout and 3.73 gears to replace the horrendously noisy 4.10's. As it turned out, the guy I bought the rear end from had no idea what he was doing when he installed the gears. They weren't set up properly at all and he even had the ABS reluctor ring on backwards, which had been the cause of my weird ABS issues. That's been the one Craigslist transaction I can think of that I've been burned on.. Anyways, the new gears are quiet around town but still whine over 45ish mph, which makes the car pretty annoying to drive. I want to have a shop install another new gear set eventually..

Last year the old opti gave up the ghost, so it got a new Summit brand opti, new wires and spark plugs, a new water pump with the weep hole tapped and a hose to divert any leakage. I also finally installed all new AC components, a new serpentine belt and tensioner pulley.

Then early this year the Pacesetter headers developed a pencil sized hole in the #5 primary tube.. so I swapped them out for stainless steel LLP's that I bought awhile back. Installation was a chore, but all in all I'm happy with the fit & finish of the headers. The driver's side required removing the factory oil cooler in order to refit an oil filter, and I also had to grind down a small area of the K member. The Y-pipe on the other hand didn't fit worth a damn. I got tired of messing with it, so I brought it to an exhaust shop. They managed to make it fit by chopping and welding the hanger, and welding an extension to the end of the Y. Now the problem is that the merge of the Y is too close to the hanger bracket, and I'm pretty sure it hits it.. so I need to get under there and try to get that figured out.

There has always been a lot of play in my steering, so along with the header install project I went ahead and replaced the rack & pinion with a 98+ unit, 98+ steering linkage, and finally installed the other steering wheel. I also replaced one of the pivot pins in the column with an oversized one from Unbalanced Engineering. Now the steering feels tight and direct, a huge improvement.

I think that pretty much sums it up. Thanks for bumping this up, I enjoyed looking back on how far it's come.

Quick Reply: The story of my 94 Z