LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Short belt length for bypassing A/C and P/S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I hadn't thought of that, I am in the minority I guess, I have the biggest EverStart battery that is listed to fit and mounted in the stock location, think it is like 42lbs.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You're only really eliminating the parasitic loss of the PS pump by going beltless. Your AC compressor has a clutch in it so the loss is negligible.

You can either run without a belt and risk killing your battery... or you could just go ahead and delete the AC, PS, and run a lighter battery for some decent weight savings.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
You're only really eliminating the parasitic loss of the PS pump by going beltless. Your AC compressor has a clutch in it so the loss is negligible.

You can either run without a belt and risk killing your battery... or you could just go ahead and delete the AC, PS, and run a lighter battery for some decent weight savings.
Reducing the parasitic loss is what im looking for. Not going to delete the power steering. I want to have to be Hulk Hogan to guide my car around a Walmart parking lot. But I will take it off for one pass just to see a back to back difference. Im sure it will be negligible but it will be something.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Power steering? Do you even lift??

I was under the impression that regular rack and pinion isn't that bad and if you run beltless you'll have to fight the pump.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

beltless is a lot more effort than a purpose built manual steering system.
Far as gain by going beltless those who think it meaningless are forgetting the MASS of the accessories being accelerated. It is rotating weight that has to decelerate and accelerate again at each shift.

Beltless has been proven good for a solid tenth sometimes more for a LONG time and is free, all you really need is a decent stock/replacement battery and not get carried away trying to make a bunch of passes before putting the belt back on or otherwise charging the battery. It is a LOT less effort than skinnies and likely near the same gain and again free.

Sure a light battery and rack and pinion setup will shed weight and not hurt driveability but the cost of those things is substantial, they are not the only option for a little gain at the track.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
beltless is a lot more effort than a purpose built manual steering system.
Far as gain by going beltless those who think it meaningless are forgetting the MASS of the accessories being accelerated. It is rotating weight that has to decelerate and accelerate again at each shift.

Beltless has been proven good for a solid tenth sometimes more for a LONG time and is free, all you really need is a decent stock/replacement battery and not get carried away trying to make a bunch of passes before putting the belt back on or otherwise charging the battery. It is a LOT less effort than skinnies and likely near the same gain and again free.

Sure a light battery and rack and pinion setup will shed weight and not hurt driveability but the cost of those things is substantial, they are not the only option for a little gain at the track.
Im just going to bring a battery charger with me. I think that is a cheaper alternative than a lightweight lithium battery + manual steering setup. I will also say that I wont be hot lapping by any means. Maybe as much as an hour between passes. Id like to get my oil temp to within 5 degrees every pass to eliminate any variations with my changes.

Quick Reply: Short belt length for bypassing A/C and P/S?