LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My '96 Six Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really much of an update, but just to keep you in the loop. I haven't messed with the car much. I know I said I made up my mind a week ago, about what I want, but in reality, I'm far from it.

Instead of working on the car, I've been shopping for a second gen body. I think, I want to build a second gen. I was hoping to find a nice shell around 2grand. I've seen a couple, but I think I can find better.

Lately I've been looking at $3G to $4G cars & they appear to be closer to what I'm looking for. Still haven't pulled the trigger, I'm still trying to figure out what I want.

I used to think the drive train was the only concern, but after sitting in a couple of these cars & remembering driving my '78. These cars have come a long, long way. Yeah, I'm a sissy & I like my creature comforts, I like the feel of the stearing, the reduction in wind noise, the power windows & locks, etc... and a bunch of little things.

I know I can upgrade all of that on a second gen. & I'd like to. I just don't think I'm ready for that kind of investment now. So I'm leaning towards altering the parameters of my '96 rebuild. Won't be as extensive as I originally planned. Then get a second gen & start working on it.

Time is the issue, to get a second gen like I want, it's going to take a lot of time & money, a two or three year build.

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
an ls buy would give you better bang for your buck. For the prices of these cars now, doing a restoration doesn't make much sense to me. You can get that running, sell it and buy an ls car and still come out cheaper than an lt1 rebuild, repaint, and replacing interior stuff. Totally up to you, but I think you would come out with a better DD if you went with an LS
I agree.

The problem with that is the six speed. One way or another, I'd like a six speed to be part of my second gen project. They go for at least $1600 if you can find one outside of the car. Probably won't get much more than that for my '96 as it sits, or even running. So I'm thinking I might as well keep it & sell the body.

But the LT1 six speed won't fit an LSx if I decide to go that route for my second gen, which most likely is where I will end up.

You're right, I won't get the money or time back that I invest in the LT1 car. However, If I do like I planned, & drive it till I get the second gen going, I think it'll work out.

Like I said, I'm much earlier into the process than I thought I was. Thanks for your comments as you (& everyone else here) are helping me think this thing through.

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
It looks to me like you just want a nice reliable cruiser with some good power? In that case, fix up the ol' LT1 and call it good. Since you don't really plan on going to the track, A good 355 with LE2 heads and matching cam will suit you just fine. That's 390-400 HP on tap that will run 12s all day and be reliable as long as it's built correctly. On top of that it's fairly inexpensive. You have a T-56 so get a Competition Stage 2 clutch and be done. You could do the 24X setup and have benefits of better tuning and no Opti issues. And since you have a '96, you already have the timing cover needed for the swap. But that's up to you. Although a properly installed Opti will suit you just fine for your setup if you wanted save some coin.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you truly want a 2nd gen then get one. But if you are worried about this being too big of a project, non sense.

Either way do what YOU want to do. Personally I would keep this. I would assume parts will be more readily available. Again, it's up to you. Just my opinion.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalus
If you truly want a 2nd gen then get one. But if you are worried about this being too big of a project, non sense.

Either way do what YOU want to do. Personally I would keep this. I would assume parts will be more readily available. Again, it's up to you. Just my opinion.
Nah, not too big. Just won't fit my February deadline. I'm thinking (now) I will continue what I started, then start on a second gen sometime next year.

Quick Reply: My '96 Six Speed