LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My '96 Six Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '96 Six Speed

A couple of months ago, I traded my C6 for a car for my daughter, plus some cash. The idea was to swap two for one as I have a second daughter who will be driving come February. Now, I don't need to get her another ride until 2014 as her mother & I would rather she drive my '02 Avalanche for a year before she gets a car. The idea is that she's most likely going to get into an accident in her first year as a driver & we'd prefer she is driving the Avalanche.

So I need something to drive. Well, I bought a '96 Z28 back in 2002. It was my daily driver until '08 when I bought a 2005 vette. I kept the Z28, thinking I would "do something" with it one day. It literally sat in my driveway since 2009. I was having opti issues, I replaced it, but didn't take the drive shaft off the old one so it's installed, just doesn't turn... no spark, won't start. After reading mcalus's thread I figured it's time to give it a little TLC.

So, first thing I'm going to do is get this thing into my garage, & strip out the interior. Like I said, it was a daily driver for 6 years & the interior is a bit worn (to put it mildly). I'm going to look for rust & other issues, fix them, then lay down some sound deadening, I'm thinking new carpet, reappolster the seats & replace some of the plastic pieces I've lost or broken.

The engine is stock now, I'm sure it runs, but I'm thinking maybe I should "freshen" it up, maybe stroke it.

Exterior wise, not too bad. Sitting in the Texas sun for 3 years without being washed or moved isn't good for the paint.

I've never done paint work, but I'm thinking I'll just wet sand it & get another shot of clear sprayed on it.

I may have to repaint the bumper covers all together.

& I've got a chip in the hood that needs to be repaired.

Maybe some new wheels...

My plan was to go to sleep early, so I could get up early and get started.... we'll see.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to respray the paint, you cant just re-clear the car. This could be an awesome build to follow tho. Good luck!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by The Batman
You will have to respray the paint, you cant just re-clear the car.
If that's what I got to do, that's what I got to do. But as I said before, I've never done any painting or anything, so can I ask why? I'd just like to know why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Originally Posted by The Batman

This could be an awesome build to follow tho. Good luck!!!
Thanks.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Gotta love all the restoration threads popping up
Old 09-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't get the early start I wanted. Spent the morning getting her in the garage.

First thing I'm going to do is get it running. It'll make it easier to get it in & out & moved around, plus I need to prove to my wife & kids, that I can get it running.

Then I'm going to start on the interior, clean it up some, make list of everything that needs to be done. I remember I was in the process of getting the tint off the windows including the rear hatch so I can re-tint it. Neither window works, I need to change the window motors again.

In the meantime, I need to figure out what I want to do engine wise. LIke I said, she'll run. She's all stock, but she'll run. There was a little valve tapping, but she still had a lot of get up & go till I screwed up the opti install.

I can do a H/C/I & tune and have a respectable car.

I can do a 383 & tune and have a bad *** LT1

I can do an LQ9 swap... I think this will be the most expensive route but I don't know what the benefits will be over a 383 build.

I do not want to put a roll bar in the car. I'll probably never run her at the track but is it a smart thing to run a 10 second car on the street without the proper safety considerations?

Any way... off to work I go.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I could inspire you! If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

The clear coat that is pealing is down to the basecoat (color) so if you sand the clear it will go through the base. Repellency the car will be your best bet. Painting isn't difficult it's all in the prep work and having the correct tools. Go to your library and read up on some how to books, also the Internet is your friend.

A fresh 355 with the right cam setup (advance induction or lloyd eilott) will be your best bet. There are plenty of guys in the 10's na.

Look into ditching the optispark. You can switch over to the 24x or ltcc. It's expensive around $1500, but you will really benefit from it.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Ps, I hate the hood lol

Keep the pics coming!!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mcalus

Repellency the car will be your best bet.
I'm sorry, I don't follow (I don't understand).

A fresh 355 with the right cam setup (advance induction or lloyd eilott) will be your best bet. There are plenty of guys in the 10's na.
Really? 10s on a 355?? That's wild.
Look into ditching the optispark. You can switch over to the 24x or ltcc. It's expensive around $1500, but you will really benefit from it.
Will do.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I meant- repainting will be your best bet (dang iPhone)...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did a "rebuild" on an lt1 car as well once upon a time .. after spending a bunch of money on a 383 build i realized i should have just bought an ls based motor and done the swap. Just a little food for thought. In the LT1's defense its still a fun ride, Im just saying..
Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry dude gotta agree with Mcalus on the hood!!! Find a stock one or a factory ram-air, the do a ls lid.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

In defense of your hood... It really benefits from stripes, in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails My '96 Six Speed-redalert.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderkyss
I've never done any painting or anything, so can I ask why? I'd just like to know why I'm doing what I'm doing.
The paint is damaged as well. Through a new coat of clear you will still be able to see the areas where the paint has faded.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SchaefZ28
In defense of your hood... It really benefits from stripes, in my opinion.
To each his own. I love my hood, it ain't going anywhere. Your stripes are the best I've seen on these hoods, maybe I'll do that, but I like it without the stripes.

I meant- repainting will be your best bet (dang iPhone)...

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The paint is damaged as well. Through a new coat of clear you will still be able to see the areas where the paint has faded.
I see what you mean.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Another late start today. Something about me & weekends... Any way, got it on stands, removed the radiator, evaporator (it started leaking around the high pressure side), fans, hoses, all that crap.

Got a little peeved, the leaking freon (wasn't planning on doing AC work), coolant leaking all over me as I removed the hoses, can't find my pry-bar to pull the pump off.

I needed a laugh, so I decided to watch the Cowboys.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28hustle
i did a "rebuild" on an lt1 car as well once upon a time .. after spending a bunch of money on a 383 build i realized i should have just bought an ls based motor and done the swap. Just a little food for thought. In the LT1's defense its still a fun ride, Im just saying..
Yeah, I still don't know what I'm going to do about that. All I care about is having a respectable ride y'know. I won't be a regular at the track & I don't care to brag about HP numbers.

I'm thinking high 11s are respectable, low 12s since they're selling 12 second cars at the local dealership.

On one board, I've got people saying they were running 11s on a stock bottomed head, cam, & header package.

On another board I've got guys saying I'll be close with a built 383.

But no one denies I can do it with an LS swap. Doesn't matter if we're talking LS3, LQ4, or LS1.

So I don't know.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

A cam only AI or LE setup can get you high 11s low 12s. If you had them port your heads it would be that much easier. You also have to have the supporting mods too, a sticky tire and suspension so you can get it out of the hole. (although I'm sure you know this)
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After a ton of research on here, and a bunch of help from the regulars, I am planning to do the AI 200cc kit. Not cheap at $3k, but add a set of LTs and I will go from a high 13 second car to potentially a mid 12 second car.

For 5 grand with bigger injectors (assuming I need them) and a tune, I can't think of a bigger bang for the buck. I don't think an LS swap would give you the same bang for the buck.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

an ls buy would give you better bang for your buck. For the prices of these cars now, doing a restoration doesn't make much sense to me. You can get that running, sell it and buy an ls car and still come out cheaper than an lt1 rebuild, repaint, and replacing interior stuff. Totally up to you, but I think you would come out with a better DD if you went with an LS
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks to me like you just want a nice reliable cruiser with some good power? In that case, fix up the ol' LT1 and call it good. Since you don't really plan on going to the track, A good 355 with LE2 heads and matching cam will suit you just fine. That's 390-400 HP on tap that will run 12s all day and be reliable as long as it's built correctly. On top of that it's fairly inexpensive. You have a T-56 so get a Competition Stage 2 clutch and be done. You could do the 24X setup and have benefits of better tuning and no Opti issues. And since you have a '96, you already have the timing cover needed for the swap. But that's up to you. Although a properly installed Opti will suit you just fine for your setup if you wanted save some coin.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

First thing I'm going to do is get it running. It'll make it easier to get it in & out & moved around, plus I need to prove to my wife & kids, that I can get it running.
haha, i got a laugh out of that!

good luck to you, should be a fun process.

Quick Reply: My '96 Six Speed