LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bought 95 trans am H/C/I LT1. Running ROUGH. Need help from you LT1 guys!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 long hoses on the pass side go to the heater core and water pump. SOmeone hacked up the original hoses and made their own.

THe small red connector on the driver side goes to your evap purge solenoid. That is deleted with the egr valve and other vac lines and electronics

The long wire that is near the rear with oil all over it, tucked near the two injectors is the ac compressor plug

blue and gray plug near the egr valve should be the egr valve plug in.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 vac ports on pass side of intake 1 is for the fuel psi regulator and the other is for the blend door motor
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Boosted Firehawk
2 long hoses on the pass side go to the heater core and water pump. SOmeone hacked up the original hoses and made their own.

THe small red connector on the driver side goes to your evap purge solenoid. That is deleted with the egr valve and other vac lines and electronics

The long wire that is near the rear with oil all over it, tucked near the two injectors is the ac compressor plug

blue and gray plug near the egr valve should be the egr valve plug in.
Thanks a ton! Now just the connector resting near the steering column cover (originates further from front) and figuring out how im going to re run the long hoses.
Ohh! Car has MSD dist. Does that mean vacuum going to dist. Should b capped? Bc it is.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Boosted Firehawk
U can find 30s for 160 obo. I would get those over 32s all day
Sgged a set and some msd 8.5 wires for $180!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, iv got a couple more concerns now, on the injector lines that run from the driver side wheel well, there are 3 lines, 2 run to the fuel rails, and one is not hooked up or clamped.
Also when i pull the heads, to install new head gaskets, can i change the piston rings from there? And i forgot to ask, on the way home, under acceleration, hard and mediocre, it would miss, and lag hard, almost as if the rear end locked up for a second? (its the motor, that just a comparison to show how hard it misses, then it pops really loud out the exhaust (one pow) and motor comtinues accelerating fine! Any guesses as to what that is?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Scratch the fuel line questions. Thanks to shhbox
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet your intake manifold is leaking oil. It's SO easy to mess up the seal doing an install.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep rear of the manifold as it mates to the block , also look over the oil pressure sending unit, if the diapham in it is shot it could pour oil out.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
I bet your intake manifold is leaking oil. It's SO easy to mess up the seal doing an install.
Originally Posted by WS Sick
Yep rear of the manifold as it mates to the block , also look over the oil pressure sending unit, if the diapham in it is shot it could pour oil out.
And that is causing the miss?
I plan on buying a complete top end gasket kit, bc my head gaskets need replaced, and i am not sure if i can get to the piston rings from there but was at least hoping i could inspect them. Do you guys just use the gaskets? Or do you use the gasket sealer as well?

And were u refering to the oil pressure sensor?

Last edited by Numba20; 02-19-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not the miss, but the oil leak, just mentioning some notorious spots for oil leaks on LT1s.
I am not about to diagnose a miss on the internet.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you cannot change or inspect the piston rings by just removing the head....

Last edited by 93M6Formula; 02-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM

This should help. < http://shbox.com/1/harness.htm >

Last edited by FirebirdLT1Speed; 02-20-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: trying to post a picture from shbox.com/1/harness.htm
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
No you cannot change or inspect the piston rings by just removing the head....
I figured. Love direct answers tho, thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Well i got antzy and decided to start tearing down the motor this afternoon. Got the coolant drained from the block. And from the air filter to the bottom of the intake manifold has been cleaned, and throttle body and intake manifold has been painted. The exhaust headers has been disconnected. I wouldve taken the heads off today, but im workin outside and it started getting dark. I will be doing a gasket match port job on intake, intake side of heads and exhaust side of heads and also polishing exhaust side of heads. I used shbox as a reference for making sure i dont forget or misd or damage anything. Everything is going smoothly, but valve covers are still on. Lol heads are what im most worried with. I wanted to know if there is any special process i meed to approach it with, or if i just back the bolts out and yank them off? Also, how can i tell if any of the valves are bent, or if the seats are bent? Do i have to replace retainers when i pull the heads? I assume i can just slide them up off the pushrods, and the ROcker arms and springs can stay put?

Ive found a top end gasket kit for $125 with everything i need. I could buy throttle body, intake, head, valve cover, exhaust gaskets, and o rings for injectors for $65. Is that everything ill need? Also should i use the silicone tube gasket sealer with the gaskets? I know i need to with the intake gaskets, but other than that is it needed or necessary?

Im sure ill have a few more questions when i get into this, i think ive got more now, but cant remember? :/??? Anyway, you've seen my shitty lookin motor, but heres the intake manifold and throttle body refinished

Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just loosen the rocker arms and turn them off of the pushrod. Sometimes they get in the way of the headbolts so just remove them if you have to. Pull the pushrods out.

You have to unbolt the steam crossover tube on the back of the heads. Be careful because they are flimsy and will not seal worth a **** when you put it back on. I believe they still make new seals for those? someone else can chime in.

Just remove the headbolts and toss them. Thats assuming they are stock style Torque to Yield head bolts, they are NOT reusable. I would just get a set of ARP bolts. Or if you want to save cash, the stock ones are cheap.

Thats pretty much it after you have removed the intake and headers.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Found a black oring for the injector underneath where the injector was sitting, orings on injectors were blue, and all accounted for. But i have this random black one. I removed it. But im not sure if the couldve been more that mightve fallen down into the heads. Could they cause damage? And could this one's presence cause a problem with the way the motor runs? (contributing factor to the way it RAN)?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Numba20
Found a black oring for the injector underneath where the injector was sitting, orings on injectors were blue, and all accounted for. But i have this random black one. I removed it. But im not sure if the couldve been more that mightve fallen down into the heads. Could they cause damage? And could this one's presence cause a problem with the way the motor runs? (contributing factor to the way it RAN)?
It was probably just left in there when whoever cobbled this thing together put the injectors in.

A little piece of rubber isn't going to cause catastophic engine failure. it would have just been sucked through the intake valve and most likely burned away or shot out the exahust. Not a big deal.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought you said the heads were already ported? Did you pull the intake off and find they lied to you? Post a picture of the ports, particularly around the valve guide. I would not use a stock thickness gasket, I would go with a 0.026 to bump the compression up a point. Now is the best time to really really inspect everything and make sure as you put it all back together you run your fingers over every wire and pull at every connection to make sure everything is tight. Something as simple as a bad connection on the map sensor could be causing all of your frustration.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I thought you said the heads were already ported? Did you pull the intake off and find they lied to you? Post a picture of the ports, particularly around the valve guide. I would not use a stock thickness gasket, I would go with a 0.026 to bump the compression up a point. Now is the best time to really really inspect everything and make sure as you put it all back together you run your fingers over every wire and pull at every connection to make sure everything is tight. Something as simple as a bad connection on the map sensor could be causing all of your frustration.
Yeah they lied. Nothing is ported. I doubt the chambers in the heads were milled either.... But im kind of running out of money here, lol so im piecing together decent gaskets as cheaply as i can. I want to get this thing on the road. Bc im going to explode the next time i am forced to drive my show worthy ls1 car in the rain... >
Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Port matching actually hurts horsepower because you are causing the flow path to go from small, to big, to small again, so the air becomes turbulent. Either do around the valve guide and the roof and touch up the short side just a touch or dont touch it. There are a ton of writeups on how to properly hand port a head, Lloyd elliot posted a nice piece about it on here somewhere. Either way, I would just swap in the 0.026 head gaskets and put it all back together. You are not getting out of a DECENT port job, on all 16 holes, in less than 8 hours. Look at a bunch of pictures of what a good cleaned up valve guide looks like, like on some LE2s, and compare it to stock, I think it would be pretty hard to **** up unless you actually hit the valve stem.

Quick Reply: Bought 95 trans am H/C/I LT1. Running ROUGH. Need help from you LT1 guys!