LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting to bring the Z back to life (IT LIVES)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just realized I had a complete idiot moment... I forgot and never ran the tune through BLM locker after i started over from scratch. Guess I'll reflash it tomorrow and test/log it.

But the WB could be off, as I did just replace the harness from damage. Injectors are the stock ones, in previous logs it's never been near maxing them. I have logged the car prior to my WB install, just not since.

I'll have to wire the WB up to log it from now on.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

even without the locked blm, the afr your were commanding should have driven the injectors static....

but, the logs will show it.

Bob
Old 09-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

it you have cylinders missing at WOT, it will cause your wideband reading to be wrong also.

B
Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

are you still running an open Y ? where is the wideband installed?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still an open Y and it's in the Y right behind the pass collector. I wondered if the air would mess with the AEM but I thought it was supposed to not be bothered by it.

I have my most recent log handy.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, its an "oxygen sensor"....

B
Old 09-26-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

This was just to see if the car did any better with things cleaned up, which .2 and a 1.9 60ft are improvements for sure. Hoping I can get it all taken care of this winter, but we will see. I can safely say, I'm completely over DD'ing a loud as **** car...
Old 12-20-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

This car has surely had one hell of a life, last month I got sideswiped by a drunk driver and they tried to keep going... Thankfully they did not hurt the car that bad, and they drove off to their house 1/2 mile away. One new fender later and it'll look fine, I can't tell you guys how scary it is to see a full sized late 90's dodge ram van coming right at you!

Making a deal with a friend to take the whole car and use his spray booth in the spring. I've been browsing at rear end kits, as my housing is cracked... This coming year looks like gears, new rear end housing, rear main replacement, LCA's, and new engine/trans mounts. I'm 100% set on a Borla catback to quiet the car down, I'm over an open Y pipe...

So my goal will be a 13.0 with a better tune, and the gears/LCA's.

I'm debating taking the heads off, since it has a broken header bolt on one side. Have them cleaned up, and check out the bottom end again. It looked great at 103k when it went in, now it's at 131k and I've ran it fairly hard. Been tossing the idea of a LQ9 around, I can get a block for 200 with hopes of building a 408 with LS3 heads etc

So many damn choices.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a spare 10 bolt laying around. $150 and its yours! Hit me up on mifbody!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mcalus
I have a spare 10 bolt laying around. $150 and its yours! Hit me up on mifbody!
Will do, what gear is in it? Sad to see you sold the car, few times I saw it made me jealous.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
Will do, what gear is in it? Sad to see you sold the car, few times I saw it made me jealous.
It was time for something new.

It has 2.73s but its quiet as a mouse!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

So it is dead, again. Blew a head gasket on the drivers side after about 45k hard miles. Honestly I'm not even mad, for a junkyard motor that sat for 2 years or so.

So now I picked up another 4 bolt main LT1 from a 97 bird, 104k and came with comp ultra pro mag RR's for 325 bucks. Snagged up some comp 918's from Lloyd Elliot for a great price, next is a CC503 while I build a 355.

It does seem sort of backward to build the 2 bolt main motor instead of the 4, but meh. It's what I have to work with for now. Hoping for about 430whp from the 355, it'll be a 12:1 cr LE2 headed little rocket (i hope lol) the cam lloyd spec'd should be perfect to DD and track it, can't wait to get rolling again.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ordered my cam, and other misc things from summit racing today. Need to get my tune from Solomon still. Can't wait to get this thing running again!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it lives again, again. Picked up another complete engine, and ended up rebuilding the entire top end. Cam, springs, locks, lifters, and more were JUNK. That "good running" engine I picked up was junk up top from someone having the wrong rockers on it.

So I've put all of these parts in to take care of things.

Comp CC503
Scorpion 1.6 NSA narrow body rockers
Trickflow pushrods and guideplates
Comp viton valve seals
Comp 918 springs w/795 retainers 10 degree locks
comp lash caps (probably not needed)
GM Performance LSX lifters
New Summit Racing factory oil pan
Canton valve covers
Other misc sensors, and array of ARP bolts, etc etc
New PCM (old one fried)
Solomon tuned
LT4 KM

So after 3 months of work, set backs and all that fun car building things it runs. The tune needs a bit of work still, it died on me at a light going from neutral to drive. Otherwise it idles and runs great. It's only seen a maybe 1/4 throttle 4k pull, but it moves out! I need to pickup a cheap laptop to use to we can dial the tune in more, then maybe some dyno time.

Stock trans, stall, and rear for now. I'll be putting in another 10 bolt with 3:73's around spring, I'm debating a stall or hood to go with it. I want to tidy up my lid install, it looks like ****. I also will be adding a Borla adjustable catback to quiet the car down, it's obnoxious with just an open ORY atm

VIDEO
Old 11-01-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Congrats.

Nice really clean build! I like it a lot actually, rather than an adjustable borla do a summit x pipe with two magnaflow bullets, but rather than dump it at the axle run it out the back!! It'll sound wicked and won't drone. The ram air Set up looked good to me (from what I could see in the video) but if it came down to a hood or a converter... Go with the converter!
Old 11-12-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Found out the fun way how to crack the oil pump drive gear on install. It popped out and dropped oil pressure. Didn't hurt the motor, had my spare in the toolbox thankfully. Car has some cam surge, and a weird little "hiccup" when cruising at low speeds. Like it drops spark briefly. Not sure if that is part of the cam surge, but the tune needs to be dialed in for sure.

I'm very happy with the car though. It's almost scary to drive with the incredible torque it has. Pull hard all the way to 6200 and beyond. Have not really hit it that hard yet, my redline is 6300, I could bump it to 6500 and be safe still.

Spring I'll take it to Milan dragway, should have gears by then. I'll be putting a new hood on, and a new ls1 lid base. As of now the radiator is not held in by anything, and has been fine for 2 years. I just want a cleaner look, and a sealed air filter housing. It's time to make her stop and turn better with more power on tap, walking sideways in 2nd is fun and all...

Quick Reply: Starting to bring the Z back to life (IT LIVES)