LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best Mild Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Comp XE 224/236 on a 112 lsa. 1.6 RR's, springs, etc.

I picked up 63rwhp over the stock cam with the only changes being cam, valvetrain and a tune. Fat torque curve too. Easy driveability, pulled 6th from 60mph willingly with stock 3.42s. I had the pill set at 6500, but that cam peaked at about 6100 or so. The numbers were 352/365 SAE through shorty headers and full catback.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be happy with the cc503. The only thing you'll need is the cam and the valve spring kit that I got from alex's parts. Don't be fooled, hardened pushrods, new lifters, etc etc are not needed for the cc503, BUT if it gives you extra peace of mind, then get them. I've been running my cc503 and LE heads for a good while now with no problems and no complaints. The cc503 and spring kit should run you about $400, and a tune will run about $150 which you can get a mail order tune if you cant find anyone over there to tune it. Also, If you're an automatic, you'll eventually want to get a stall.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KyleW707
You'll be happy with the cc503. The only thing you'll need is the cam and the valve spring kit that I got from alex's parts. Don't be fooled, hardened pushrods, new lifters, etc etc are not needed for the cc503, BUT if it gives you extra peace of mind, then get them. I've been running my cc503 and LE heads for a good while now with no problems and no complaints. The cc503 and spring kit should run you about $400, and a tune will run about $150 which you can get a mail order tune if you cant find anyone over there to tune it. Also, If you're an automatic, you'll eventually want to get a stall.
What stall would be most suitable in heavy traffic? I never go to tracks, very rare drag racing, but that's during nights, just for fun. And i've read that email tune sometimes get rich, just in the thread, where you answered. To make it clear, i don't want to spend money, if i'm not sure that it will be tuned, and working properly.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Launching!

for daily driving you should be fine with a stall somewhere between 2800-3200. I have a vigilante 2800 and it does fine. A lot of mail order tunes are a little on the rich side, but that's to be expected as it's hard to get the tune perfect on the first try. However, I believe most mail order places will not charge you for a retune if you need one
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Banned

Default I thought u wanted a mild cam?

U need to elaborate what u expect in a "mild" cam Swamp. Myself i don't consider the "Hot" cam mild let alone the CC503 as "mild".

Keep in mind the stock LT1 head stops increasing flow at 0.5" lift - so higher lift cams gain u nothing (even with better vlv springs) but may even lose charge velocity. Yes they may make even less power. Just google for any stock LT1 flow bench numbers. The LT1 stops at 0.5" (or maybe even less) with 'bout 215-220 cfm intake flow. No more at 0.6" on intake or exhaust.
Now using the "stock" LT4 cam with 1.6 rockers adds lift while keeps it less than 0.5". Or the "Hot cam" without the 1.6 rocker arms would be <0.5" lift but even tighter lobe separation angle and more duration and work fine with the stock LT1 head.

Let us know what u expect for "mild".
cardo
Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KyleW707
for daily driving you should be fine with a stall somewhere between 2800-3200. I have a vigilante 2800 and it does fine. A lot of mail order tunes are a little on the rich side, but that's to be expected as it's hard to get the tune perfect on the first try. However, I believe most mail order places will not charge you for a retune if you need one
So it's possible that i will need several attempts for mail tuning, after i get the best one?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Moscow
So it's possible that i will need several attempts for mail tuning, after i get the best one?
Not likely. Typically a mail-order tune is good enough. I drove my 383 around with a mail-order tune for a year before I had a chance to get it dyno-tuned. When I DID get it tuned it put down 1HP more on the dyno showing that the mail-order tune was spot-on.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have ram air, pacesetter LT's, and 3'' exhaust. I plan on getting a tune once i get the right cam. When I mean mild, I meant something that will flow with stock heads without making serious internal upgrades. I have a spare motor that I am going to have stroked for a 76mm turbo. My engine builder said it was ok to install the cc503 for the street without spending a lot of money upgrading everything else. But he did also say a larger cam would call for more internal upgrades.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im assistant manager at a transmission parts store in St. Louis, so if anyone needs performance clutches and hard parts for auto's, performance converters and standard clutches by Exedy send me a message. Let me know, Im willing to help anyone out!!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
U need to elaborate what u expect in a "mild" cam Swamp. Myself i don't consider the "Hot" cam mild let alone the CC503 as "mild".

Keep in mind the stock LT1 head stops increasing flow at 0.5" lift - so higher lift cams gain u nothing (even with better vlv springs) but may even lose charge velocity. Yes they may make even less power. Just google for any stock LT1 flow bench numbers. The LT1 stops at 0.5" (or maybe even less) with 'bout 215-220 cfm intake flow. No more at 0.6" on intake or exhaust.
Now using the "stock" LT4 cam with 1.6 rockers adds lift while keeps it less than 0.5". Or the "Hot cam" without the 1.6 rocker arms would be <0.5" lift but even tighter lobe separation angle and more duration and work fine with the stock LT1 head.

Let us know what u expect for "mild".
cardo
Your mistaken about the lift deal. We always use more lift than where our head flow peaks. That way the valve spends more time in it's peak flow range, thus flowing more air per cycle. On my flow bench I haven't seen stock LT1 heads "back up" (flow less) as lift is increased past where they peaked, which is around .500". That exact point depends some on the valve job. Even with heads that back up past flow peak lift do not slow down when a cam with more lift is used. That is just another Internet myth.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hotcam all day.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Cardo you do realize there's more to a cam then its numbers right? The hot cam is old tech. I would search for some of Alan's(aba383) old threads, that car was a beast with the baby cam he listed...

A lot of these other cams aren't exactly mild too imo, if mild its what you want check out the crane 227.

TA Moscow: a lt1 tuning legend is in this thread, pm Ed Wright, I'd link you to his site but I'm on my phone. Hit him up tho, he'l cut you a tune n then you can datalog it, send Ed the info and he'll tweak the tune as needed.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak

TA Moscow: a lt1 tuning legend is in this thread, pm Ed Wright, I'd link you to his site but I'm on my phone. Hit him up tho, he'l cut you a tune n then you can datalog it, send Ed the info and he'll tweak the tune as needed.
Man, thanx. I realise that Ed knows much about lt1, he has already answered many of my questions, i don't want to buy the 58mm tb anymore got the cai and the trick elbow instead of spending money for nothing next i think will be Mac mid headers and the 2400 stall. And only after those upgrade i will be thinking about cam and heads with ported intake.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have emission or sound regulations over there? Just wondering why not long tubes? Also I'm no auto guy but I think your gonna want to go larger on the stall, somethingaround 3k? I'm sure an auto guy will chime in
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not waste any money with a 2400 stall as that is only slightly better than stock. Even for a DD a 3200 is the bare MINIMUM I would use.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TA_Moscow
Man, thanx. I realise that Ed knows much about lt1, he has already answered many of my questions, i don't want to buy the 58mm tb anymore got the cai and the trick elbow instead of spending money for nothing next i think will be Mac mid headers and the 2400 stall. And only after those upgrade i will be thinking about cam and heads with ported intake.
I DD a 3600 rpm stall. i will never trade down to a lower rpm stall... i think you should be looking at a 3000 rpm+ stall

and if your looking at mild cams... the cc 304 is almost unnoticeable... many people mistake my car for stock
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
The hot cam is old tech.
What does this even mean?

There is NOTHING wrong with the hotcam. For a GM made kit, its perfect for a large number of people. What does old tech have to do with anything? It makes less power by 10 than a new tech cam?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

Neither emission nor sound checks it's Russia man! There are two troubles - fools and the roads, i'm afraid that i will loose them on the road. They are really bumpy.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I would not waste any money with a 2400 stall as that is only slightly better than stock. Even for a DD a 3200 is the bare MINIMUM I would use.
I just wonder how it will look like it really heavy traffic. Like a jump when i hit the accelerator? One guy in Moscow told me that it wasn't easy for him to drive 3200 stall in the city. That's why i'm thinking about 2400. The stock stall is around 1600?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by englundjd
I DD a 3600 rpm stall. i will never trade down to a lower rpm stall... i think you should be looking at a 3000 rpm+ stall

and if your looking at mild cams... the cc 304 is almost unnoticeable... many people mistake my car for stock
I'm afraid that without a cam 3200 would be much more for the engine. I mean i have to add power to buy such a stall. And the heat that such a stall makes, should i get trans cooler with the fan? I've already have one, without it, and even in heavy traffic after a big stuck car drives not like when it's cold, so i understand that even stock stall makes enough heat to make it loose power. Hope you understand me, english isn't my native language, and i try my best to translate my thoughts into the words lol

Quick Reply: Best Mild Cam?