LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Changed water pump, now oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Changed water pump, now oil leak

I changed my water pump for the first time on my own and was pretty proud of myself. It's the 5th water pump for this car in it's 19 year life. I bought a new unit from O'Reilly's with a lifetime warranty and am very pleased with its performance so far. I have driven 750 miles since I installed it and the car is cold as ice.

There are no coolant leaks but about 2 days after I installed the pump, an oil leak appeared. I had only done around-town driving up to that point. On the third day, I drove 320 miles and lost 1/4 quart. This week I just drove another 430 miles and lost another 3/4 quart.

When I took the old pump off, the drive seal was totally dry. Even now I can see the top of the opti and it isn't covered with oil or anything, it's just got droplets on it as does the whole front drivers side of the engine. Checked underneath on day 2 and didn't see any obvious leak but I'll check again now that it seems to have picked up the pace. Did I miss a step when I installed the new water pump?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't imagine so, if the drive seal is dry that is..

I'm my case, I cleaned the the timing cover and front of the intake when I swapped in the new water pump. I must've somehow scraped off a chunk of RTV revealing an intake manifold leak..

Had the same thing going on
Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Front of the intake and valve cover gaskets are my guesses. Clean the engine with simple green, drive it around and then start feeling around the problem areas starting at the very top and working down.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to investigate the oil leak today. Just in case I need to buy new ones, does anyone know where to but the little o-rings and the drive seal?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never mind:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having difficulty finding the o-rings. Does anyone know if I an use universal o-rings instead?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NAPA has a bin of various sized o-rings - no need to mail order.

Just take in an old one and they'll find a pair that fits.

: )
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
I'm having difficulty finding the o-rings. Does anyone know if I an use universal o-rings instead?
just go buy Felpro # TSC45956 timing cover gasket kit for about $10. It has the "O" rings and all the other seals/gaskets you would need to replace the WP drive seal.

you can but just the seals and O rings at the dealer.....and pay at least $10. Just get the felPro kit at just about any auto parts store
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all your help everyone. I've got everything I need to pretty much change out everything having to do with the timing cover. Here's what I saw after removing the water pump:

I expected to see more of an oily mess on the timing cover. Could it still be the seal?

Also how would you go about cleaning all this?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Managed to get the pulley off with the claw puller. I then used a pulley puller to get the crank hub out enough to finally pull the opti. Here's what it looked like. Could this be the source of the oil leak? I've never pulled an opti so I don't know if this oil is normal.

What would you use to clean all this? I was thinking brake parts cleaner and simple green.

I'll be doing searches but in the meantime, how would you get the crank hub back in?

Quick Reply: Changed water pump, now oil leak