LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pcm fried?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm fried?

was trying to upload a tune with cats' flash utility and it erased the tune and then it gave me an error message. I switched the key off, unplugged the cord from the car and then tried again and it wouldnt even connect to the pcm. Tried to start the car after and it just cranked like it had no spark...
Old 05-25-2013, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuses, maybe you got lucky....
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

fuses all look good
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need a new pcm. Been there 4 times now
Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is usually a voltage problem. I have actually seen guys at the race track listening to the radio while flashing their PCM! Hard to not ask "Are you retarded?" Everything off, and a fully charged battery. If you aren't sure about the battery, a trickle charger isn't a bad idea. Tunercat won't fry your PCM, but vehicle issues or operator error certainly will.
Btw, if that ever happens again, do NOT shut the key off! Pull the PCM fuses first! Much better chance of "recovering" the PCM. Turn the key off and you can kiss it goodbye.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
That is usually a voltage problem. I have actually seen guys at the race track listening to the radio while flashing their PCM! Hard to not ask "Are you retarded?" Everything off, and a fully charged battery. If you aren't sure about the battery, a trickle charger isn't a bad idea. Tunercat won't fry your PCM, but vehicle issues or operator error certainly will.
Btw, if that ever happens again, do NOT shut the key off! Pull the PCM fuses first! Much better chance of "recovering" the PCM. Turn the key off and you can kiss it goodbye.
Great advice right here
Old 05-26-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
lol no i turn everything off and shut the doors before i start the process so that voltage doesnt drop but maybe my battery is just taking a ****. ill have to get a new one or something.

thanks for the fuse info, good to know

when i was taking my pcm out to get all the info off of it to order a new one, i noticed that the plastic clip thing on one of the connectors that plugs into the pcm is broke off. does anyone make them or should i get out the ductape? lol
Old 05-26-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to a salvage yard and save yourself some money. The Delco ECMs are close to 200$ at parts houses with other brands going for around 120 to 180$. I pick them up from salvage for 80$ plus core!! Remember the B-body computer will work as well (if l99 or LT1).
Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Go to a salvage yard and save yourself some money. The Delco ECMs are close to 200$ at parts houses with other brands going for around 120 to 180$. I pick them up from salvage for 80$ plus core!! Remember the B-body computer will work as well (if l99 or LT1).
yea i think my local salvage yard has a wrecked 95' z28 im going to see if it has a pcm in it. I can use one out of a manual car to right? just as long as i upload my custom tune into it any 94/95 f-body computer would work right?

whats the years of caprice's and impala's that would work?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep just flash it to your car and it will be fine.
You used to be able to get the unflashed ECM from parts stores for under 100$ but those days are past, they were of course not Delco ECMs.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

alright thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pcm fried?