LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

End of dipstick broke off... what do I do

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of dipstick broke off... what do I do

Checked the oil and somehow like 3 or 4 inches of the dipstick has broken off... I'm about to go pull the tube off and hope its still there somehow. Is there a screen or anything that would prevent it from falling in the pan?

Do I need to drop the pan to get this out?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:55 PM

Or would I be able to pull the drain plug and fish it out with a telescopic magnet?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never heard of that! but I learn something new every thread. Doesn't the stick go down into bottom of pan? I ask because I've heard that if you change oil pans (like go after market Holley or a different LS pan) the stick depth will need to change. Maybe it's right there at bottom of pan!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only screen is in the oil pump pickup so its for sure in the bottom of the pan. You may be able to drain the oil and take a strong magnet and put up against the bottom of the pan and then drag it to the drain hole. Its gonna be a frustrating adventure so don't get impatient.

Originally Posted by RJDio
Never heard of that! but I learn something new every thread. Doesn't the stick go down into bottom of pan? I ask because I've heard that if you change oil pans (like go after market Holley or a different LS pan) the stick depth will need to change. Maybe it's right there at bottom of pan!
You do know this is the LT1 section right?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will likely have to drop the pan. PITA for sure
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 PM

After looking around it appears this isn't THAT uncommon... and a lot of people will say to just leave it cause it isn't going anywhere. Ideally I would have it removed, but as I have no access to a engine lift it makes dropping the pan enough to get it near impossible.
I just drained the oil and could not find or fish it out. Is there any negative effects of putting high strength magnets on the bottom of the pan in effort to ensure it stays down there?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Just drop ur pan and get it out. Jack it up as high as u can get it put stands under it and get dirty. Our cars dnt have anything that runs directly undder thw pan so dozzen or so bolts a new fel-pro gasket and ur done plus the piece of mind that the part of the stick isn't by some chance going to plug ur oil pick up or get into ur crank u just never no
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cdenu95z28
Our cars dnt have anything that runs directly undder thw pan so dozzen or so bolts a new fel-pro gasket and ur done...
You haven't dropped a pan in a 4th gen LT1 f-body or have been under one, have you? You forgot about that petite and pesky little thing called a k-mamber that sits nice and snug under the pan as well as that other thing that just totally has no reason to be there, I think it's called a bellhousing? I dunno...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, dropping the pan is the biggest PITA like I said, but you can drop the k-member several inches without removing it. If you don't feel like dropping it you can put a powerful magnet on the pan and it won't go anywhere.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You haven't dropped a pan in a 4th gen LT1 f-body or have been under one, have you? You forgot about that petite and pesky little thing called a k-mamber that sits nice and snug under the pan as well as that other thing that just totally has no reason to be there, I think it's called a bellhousing? I dunno...
I was just laying under mine the other day and it didn't seem like it would be that big of a job. I guess if the k-member is in the way that might slow u down lol but about the bell housing how does that get in the way of the oil pan they don't overlap
Old 06-03-2013, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

. . . Smh

Quick Reply: End of dipstick broke off... what do I do