LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 smoking like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 smoking like crazy

This weekend I changed my spark plugs (fun job), cleaned my air filter, and changed my oil and filter. When I was putting the new oil in, I accidentally put just a tad too much in. I did not think it was a big deal because my intake manifold leaks anyway. After the plugs, before I did the other two things, the car ran great. After I did the oil change and air filter cleaning, my car now smokes like crazy. It is like a cloud following me down the highway and there is oil all over the back of my car. You can also smell oil when i come to a stop. It runs fine and nothing else is wrong. Please help, I have no clue what could be causing this.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
This weekend I changed my spark plugs (fun job), cleaned my air filter, and changed my oil and filter. When I was putting the new oil in, I accidentally put just a tad too much in. I did not think it was a big deal because my intake manifold leaks anyway. After the plugs, before I did the other two things, the car ran great. After I did the oil change and air filter cleaning, my car now smokes like crazy. It is like a cloud following me down the highway and there is oil all over the back of my car. You can also smell oil when i come to a stop. It runs fine and nothing else is wrong. Please help, I have no clue what could be causing this.
Well first I have to ask, how much is a "tad" too much? What does your dipstick show? I would do the obvious and drain some of the oil.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Well first I have to ask, how much is a "tad" too much? What does your dipstick show? I would do the obvious and drain some of the oil.
I don't know exactly how much, but it wasn't a lot. I did the oil change Saturday. As of this morning, it was below the fill line. But it still smoked.

Last edited by 1995_maro_z; 03-17-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

The strangest thing about the whole situation is that after I drained the oil and installed the oil filter, I only put 5 quarts in and it read that it was too much. That is the other reason that I didn't think that it was a big deal. It is supposed to hold 5.5 quarts, isn't it?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your oil filter..

My vote goes to double stacking oil filter o-rings, thus oil is leaking from the filter onto the exhaust

ding ding ding how much do i win?

edit: (more info) Sometimes when you remove the filter the o-ring from the old filter will stick to the oil filter adapter so when you install the new filter you double stack the o-rings and you will never have a oil-tight seal. When oil leaks from this location the chances of it hitting the exhaust and causing your cloud of smoke is high, along with it being swept back and covering the back of your car.

Thats about the only thing I can think of that could cause your issues immediately after changing your oil

Last edited by 1994Z28Lt1; 03-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The strangest thing about the whole situation is that after I drained the oil and installed the oil filter, I only put 5 quarts in and it read that it was too much. That is the other reason that I didn't think that it was a big deal. It is supposed to hold 5.5 quarts, isn't it?
Did you check the dipstick before or after you started the engine to fill the oil filter?

You will read high before the oil filter gets filled, if you have the short filter it holds about a half a quart, if you have the tall filter it could hold 3/4 quart

if I remember correctly with my stock pan and a long filter I would add about 5.5 quarts and after starting it and filling the filter I would end up right at full
Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

yee olde double gasket?

Sounds like if it just happened after the oil change then its something to do with the oil change lol. If it is sitting still and you rev it does smoke come out of the exhaust pipes? Does it come out of the engine bay? does it just leave a puddle on the ground?

We need to know where the smoke is coming from, it sounds like its coming from the engine and burning on the exhaust. The intake gasket leak could have gotten larger and is now dripping onto your exhaust. The fact your car is coated means its probably not piston rings, that smoke should only come out of your tail pipes.

I would check the filter for a double gasket or its just leaking. Drain plug could be leaking. This shouldnt be that hard to diagnose.

Were your valve covers ever off?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Angry

So it turns out that the smoke is actually transmission fluid! My car is absolutely pissing it out onto the exhaust. The damn thing was just rebuilt in November!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it turns out that the smoke is actually transmission fluid! My car is absolutely pissing it out onto the exhaust. The damn thing was just rebuilt in November!
Where is it coming from? The lines? Rear shaft seal?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Ouch, lots of auto trans shops are shady as hell...

Perfect excuse for a T56 conversion! Manuals are just cooler! (Significantly more rare (3 autos built for every 6spd), and might actually add value to the car, I know the factory 6spds pull a good premium price over autos and the market is slowly getting better as these car's value has pretty much bottomed out and supply is slowing shrinking daily.

Rated for 450lb/ft stock, super tall .50 6th gear for running 4.10's, closer non-OD ratios 1-4, makes car autocross/road course not pointless, manlier, 10X more fun, takes much more skill and practice to be good at (can be good or bad for you ), the women love it!

^What's not to love?

I'm fully aware I'm fighting a losing battle here, SAVE THE MANUALS! Few appreciates the link between man and machine that only comes with driving a manual transmission as the take rate on them is only 7.2% of the US auto market last year Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond, 80% of mainly girly European cars sport a manual; while they chuckle away at our laziness/unwillingness to change gears for ourselves. Everyone on here needs to go buy a new manual trans car ASAP, or convince a friend or loved one to at least drive one before they just stop offering them period here!

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-headquarters

Old 03-18-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Where is it coming from? The lines? Rear shaft seal?
It's coming from the front pump, the pan, and maybe some other places. The shop that I took it to to have it looked at today said that it looks like the person that rebuilt it didn't use any gaskets or o rings, and that they just used silicone.

Quick Reply: LT1 smoking like crazy