LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Heads have Four outside bolts instead of centerline. Any suggestions for LT1/ALT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Heads have Four outside bolts instead of centerline. Any suggestions for LT1/ALT

Broke out the new AFR 210s I sent to Lloyd, straight from the seller, to port and set up and, it turns out that they have the bolt locations along the side, instead down the center.

Anyone have any suggestions for a set of outside bolt LT1 Valve covers, using the standard Acc. setup?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My AFRs are setup for both center and perimeter bolt...I plan on going perimeter cuz it gives more clearance for my shaftmounts...and looks badass. I don't know of any that will clear the stock alt out of the box though...but it shouldn't be hard or expensive for a shop to chop a small piece the corner off and weld it inverted - just trim the alt as much as you can and measure, then let em know how much you need.

I know you can convert from center to perimeter, but not sure if its possible for it to be done the other way and have them drilled for centerbolt VCs, or if it'd even be worth it.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
My AFRs are setup for both center and perimeter bolt...I plan on going perimeter cuz it gives more clearance for my shaftmounts...and looks badass. I don't know of any that will clear the stock alt out of the box though...but it shouldn't be hard or expensive for a shop to chop a small piece the corner off and weld it inverted - just trim the alt as much as you can and measure, then let em know how much you need.

I know you can convert from center to perimeter, but not sure if its possible for it to be done the other way and have them drilled for centerbolt VCs, or if it'd even be worth it.
Thanks Puck... I found an old set of M/T side bolt covers in the shop and might send them out for some fab work and powder coat ... I appreciate the input, as always.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Just plug the top holes and drill holds on the sides for perimeter.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Hmmm.... It seems so simple. Could it be that easy?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

My AFR head have both, I used the outside bolts, short alluminum covers and ordered a smaller chrome ford alternator from summit. Looks good and worked great.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OVA1
Hmmm.... It seems so simple. Could it be that easy?
In theroy all you have to do is say take a perimeter valve cover gasket as a templet, mark the holes, drill the holes, and then install.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DUDCOUPE
In theroy all you have to do is say take a perimeter valve cover gasket as a templet, mark the holes, drill the holes, and then install.
He already has perimeter bolt cylinder heads, he is looking for valve covers to match that clear that alt - which AFAIK there are none pre-made.

I would just run the perimeter ones and notch them for the alt, grind the alt, or get a smaller alt.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Or run the alternator down low.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Or buy a valve cover for a lt1 and do what i said. Or do what snm said n run a low hung alternator

Quick Reply: New Heads have Four outside bolts instead of centerline. Any suggestions for LT1/ALT