LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project is nearly done, need advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Project is nearly done, need advise.

94 Z28 383, heads/cam, supercharged, full bolt-ons, full suspension. Not a max power effort but a solid 11 sec car. I am running Kooks headers which have 3.5 collector. So the question.

Should I run 3.5 duals to twin mufflers dumped at axle or run an aftermarket y-pipe reduced to 3" at flange through a hooker Aero chamber set up with cut out? Any benefit to either or will it not make a difference? I am getting different thoughts about back pressure from buddies.

Which way would you go?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last setup I had on mine, and will put back on, it 2 duals through and x pipe, mufflers then turned down before the axle. Cheap and easy IMO. Sounded good as well. Only problem was is hung low to the ground.
as far as back pressure goes I wouldnt worry about it. Ive ran some of my better times strait out of the long tubes. However others may have diffrent opinions
Old 09-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Weigh the benefits of both and go with whats best for your engine. True duals sounds fantastic, provide better flow, and are generally just plain badass. However going with true duals should be going with the right true duals, you don't want issues with not enough back pressure or unbalanced exhaust evacuation. Now with that being said a y-pipe can also provide the same amount of exhaust evacuation, but over all flow can be less then whats offered by true dual W/cross pipe (whether an H or X pipe) One good thing about single pipe that I don't hear alot of people talk about is weight. A single exhaust uses one muffler and pipe. Comparing apples to apples, if the exhaust system is made of the same materials, true duals can be close to double the weight of a single.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Run 3" duals or a 4" single. The 3" duals will outflow the 4" single and probably sound better but it depends on your 383's top end, how much you're spinning the blower, RPMs, etc. 3.5" duals would be overkill depending on your setup imo.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

FWIW, I'm still running a y-pipe with a single 3" and a cutout before the axle. I tried removing the whole system from y back and put a 3" bullet off the y. No difference in times at the track at all. In good air like this time of year I run high 10's in the low 120's all day long.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
FWIW, I'm still running a y-pipe with a single 3" and a cutout before the axle. I tried removing the whole system from y back and put a 3" bullet off the y. No difference in times at the track at all. In good air like this time of year I run high 10's in the low 120's all day long.
OP is not NA, he has a hair dryer.

I would run as large a diameter Y pipe you can to as large a catback you can. If you can't, run a larger cutout and what not.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
OP is not NA, he has a hair dryer.

I would run as large a diameter Y pipe you can to as large a catback you can. If you can't, run a larger cutout and what not.
Oh,
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx for the replies.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

The only benefit I can see running a dumped exhaust is it will sound FAR better than a full exhaust as well as saving a little weight, however it will be louder. Do what the man-crush say if you don't want as much volume in the exhaust note.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would reduce to a 3 then to an x-pipe then 2.5 out the rest of the way.

Quick Reply: Project is nearly done, need advise.