LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need some urgent help fellows...need inspection!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some urgent help fellows...need inspection!

Guys I have a 97 z28 that had been sitting for 2 years. Put a new engine in it and just about everything under the hood is new. Runs great but has the Service Engine Soon light on and I am in North Carolina and in order to pass inspection the light needs to be off. Well problem is NC will only give you a 10 day temp tag just one time, and saturday mine expires. I called and I CANNOT get any kind of extension.

The codes the car is showing are....

PO400... which is the EGR. I replaced the solenoid and it still shows the code

P1371......CKP Sensor

P1153...... Bank 2 Sensor 1 Heated Oxygen Sensor

The idiot at autozone told me that the Bank 2 Sensor 1 Heated Oxygen Sensor is probably setting off the other 2 codes. I am running out of time so I need you guys opinions. What do you guys think? I had my converters gutted years ago but I purchased the O2 adapter that fakes the cars pc into thinking every thing is okay. Is that the Bank 2 Sensor 1, could that have went bad? I am running out of time.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

P0400 means your EGR system is not sensed to be working up to snuff. Perhaps your valve is bad, stuck or carboned up. P0403 would have come up for and electrical fault in the solenoid. Sounds like you need to do some testing instead of just replacing parts. A free flowing exhaust can sometimes also cause the code, so the gutted cats may be working against you.

P1371 is a low resolution opti code. It must be intermittent, since the engine won't run with it active. Could be your opti or opti harness.

P1153 B2, S1 is the front O2 on the passenger side. The code is for a "lazy" o2. If all wiring and connection is ok, the O2 may be ill.

Looks like you have some work ahead.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Darn!! The opti is brand new. So how do I do the "testing" without replacing the parts? This is stressing me out.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since the cats are gutted (why ??) your back pressure sensitive EGR is failing it's diagnostic test. That is a really dumb thing to do, unless the cat is badly clogged, there is no power gain. Tried that with my '96. John that worked for me tied it down, made a couple of pulls, drove it forward to the lift, knocked the guts out of the cats. Backed up back onto the dyno, tied it down, two more pulls. Lost 8 RWHP. Had to be due to turbulence. Took it next door to the muffler shop. Put tubing in place of the gutted cats. Back to the dyno, made the same power as before tearing up the cats. Final gains: zero. I had to program the PCM to show the OBD2 cat & EGR diagnostics as run & pasts. Louder, but not one bit faster.
No "sim" you plug in place of the rear O2s will cure the EGR code. Headers will often set that code. Loosing the cats most always will.
If the cats are melted inside, and you won't just replace them, have them replaced with new tubing.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Was dumb back 15 years ago when I gutted them. I put the "sim" on after I did it to knock out the service engine soon light, but I am wondering could the sim have gone bad.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Your trouble code is not for the sim. It is for the other O2 before the cat.

I included a link in post #2 for EGR testing.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

It will be Friday before I can do anything with everything being closed tomorrow. This is ridiculous, I seriously may have to buy another car this week just to have a car to drive if I cannot some how find out what is wrong and get it to pass inspection before Saturday.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

OP

previous actions/mods have put you in the situation you are in now. Mr Wright & Shbox outlined the "why".

even if you put new CATS on, replace front 02's (assuming you need to as you have sims in now) and even replace the EGR the PCM will not show "readiness" until x driving cycles. EGR takes quite some time to show "ready" in the PCM.

Here in Calif you are allowed 2 "not ready" functions and still pass. don't know what in your area is required

If you delete codes or disconnect your battery it will take at the very least a few driving cycles to show most of the readiness functions to actually show ready on the emission scan
Old 11-28-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How the hell is it going to pass emissions with the cats gutted, anyways?
Old 11-29-2014, 06:36 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it doesn't have to go on the rollers, or use a sniffer, I can make all that pass in the PCM.

Quick Reply: Need some urgent help fellows...need inspection!