LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Slow cold starts after power washing LT1

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow cold starts after power washing LT1

Takes about 3 seconds on the starter to get the engine to fire when cold. Started doing this immediately after first cold start since power washing engine. Car used to start at like .5 seconds every single time.

Idles and runs good cold or warmed up. Starts much quicker when warm.

Hoping the Opti isn't going out on me now LOL.

I was careful to not spray around the water pump area. Just cleaned off the strut towers and valve covers and intake. Might try checking out the temp sensor on the water pump. Wanted to get some opinions on here. I read many threads about the LT1 opti and engine cleaning woes so far. All indicated misfiring or no start condition. Glad I waited until after my date to power wash the engine. LOL
Old 12-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

my car does the same thing but it's not consistent like yours is and i've never washed my engine bay. it just takes a while to start up cold every once in a while. i attribute it to a 20 year old fuel pump..
Old 12-26-2014, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow..pressure washed an engine covered in electrical connections and immediately you have issues

Op, I think you have answered your own question

will the problem eventually fix itself...maybe..or moisture building corrosion between electrical connections become worse...also possible
Old 12-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Getting a little better today. Starts in 2 seconds instead of three LOL. Hope the trend stays this way
Old 12-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
Wow..pressure washed an engine covered in electrical connections and immediately you have issues
Unless the rubber seals on the connectors are corroded or missing then pressure washing should not be an issue. I used to wash my engine bay at the car wash at least twice a week or more before owning a house.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Unless the rubber seals on the connectors are corroded or missing then pressure washing should not be an issue. I used to wash my engine bay at the car wash at least twice a week or more before owning a house.
you and several people have gotten away with it. The Op was not one of those.

These cars are 20+ years old now so the integrity of connections and wiring are not pristine anymore. The rubber grommet in connectors don't make them water "proof". Using dialectic grease on them certainly helps. There are connectors that do not have that rubber grommet (injectors for example)

Bottom line pressure washing modern engines that are covered in electrical connectors of various types let alone a distributor that is beyond sensitive to moisture exposure, IMHO, is not recommended.

Like playing Russian roulette......1 in 6 chance you die playing that game
Old 12-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Village Troll

I dunno, I still play "russian roulete" and have been real lucky, I reckon. Dozens and dozens and dozens of times, no less. Who knows, with the symptoms supplied by the OP it would seem to be more of an ignition issue rather than some electrical gremlin caused by moisture. JMHO.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 AM
Teching In

Yea, car started acting like the timing isn't right. Went hard on the throttle and it was like a two stroke, slow to pull, then hit the power band. Going to do some checks. Betting the opti is shot. Probably not a bad thing to get it replaced now. It looks older, along with the plug wires. Going to install the opti and a clutch this coming week now LOL. Just got the car sound deadened and power washed the carpet. Good thing I'm off work for a while.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Village Troll

If you don't mind the work I'd take the original apart and see if it needs to be dried out. I had an opti exposed to coolant for over a week from a waterpump leak. Dried it out and it is still in working order.
If you are going to get a new one, don't go with anything from Autozone. Do a search on this forum for optis to stick with and those to avoid.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Banned

This is the first time i have read anything bad about a GM weather pack connector. I dont know how anyone could improve on those.

As far as the opti staying dry i have to suspect that since it is under lower than atmospheric press inside - due to vac source from intake - any water outside its seals would be tested to enter the lower press area. FWIW i used to place some plastic bag over the opti before washing the engine but ya know i lost an opti sometime after that and that opti had a short life so i discontinued the practice of washing the engine bay. And anytime i install a new opti i plan to smear RTV around the edge were the pancake sandwich seals. I noticed the PCM connector at the top seemed to have gaps on 1 opti i installed - yep sealed that w/RTV.

And i know it will make someone here happy to know i have 5 more books on their way to me from Amazon.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Almost two full days with normals starts. Haven't noticed any ign problems. Fingers crossed. Could use that $350 to get my leather fixed
Old 12-31-2014, 03:03 AM
Village Troll

Probably just got wet and is fine now. To avoid this again it'd probably be a good idea to use a garden hose w/out a sprayer, or lots of Simple Green and paper towels.

Quick Reply: Slow cold starts after power washing LT1