LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What to do to go faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do to go faster?

So I own a 96' z28 383 stroker paxton supercharged sn2000, I'm pushing around 4 to 6 lbs non cooled. I've got a mild cam bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors. 700r4 built tranny with a shift kit. The car is badass it will turn the tires over in 2nd gear. But it feels like it is wasting power aftet 2nd gear, as the car will shift at 6500 rpms everytime... 6500 can not be the optimum shift point for every gear? The supercharger was just rebuilt and so I think it's due for a dyno tune again, and when the guy before me owned it he was the one who did the bigger fuel pump and it's still not been tuned since then. I believe the last tune it's had was around 1998 lol.... And also I'm burning realllyyyyy rich so much so you can smell it from inside the car, and I'm sure everyone behind me can too lol. I also know for sure it's burning rich because of the black smoke out of the exhaust when reved. And the exhaust i have i believe is to meet cali restrictions so i think it's restricting my flow badly, and could my cats be clogged from running so rich for sometime now?

Anyways i just feel this car can be running sooo much better and a lot faster than it is now. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is that rich it could hurt the shortblock.

Does it have a 700R4 or a 4L60E? The shift points are controlled differently between the two.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If it is that rich it could hurt the shortblock.

Does it have a 700R4 or a 4L60E? The shift points are controlled differently between the two.
700r4
Old 03-15-2015, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would it have a 700R4?
Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Why would it have a 700R4?
Because that's what the original owner wanted?
Old 03-15-2015, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch the catalytic converter and get it on a dyno. No point in speculating until someone has had a deep look at the tune.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wheelman916
Ditch the catalytic converter and get it on a dyno. No point in speculating until someone has had a deep look at the tune.
Trying to get it dynoed soon.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't understand people that come in and say their car is doing this or that but yet still keep hammering on the motor, you say it's so rich, black smoke is coming out then quote Lol, we'll my friend you won't be laughing when you have to rebuild the motor due to ring wash.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

How many threads are you gonna make about the basketcase you bought?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I was in your position I would fix your rich/tune/whatever-it-is problem first.

When you want to make some power I'd get rid of that blower unit. It is old, internally belt driven and won't push any more air than it is already. Even an old Vortech S trim would be a big leap. I don't know for sure but you might luck out and a newer Paxton head unit might fit on your kit. At the same time I would get some 60# or larger injectors and get it tuned by a pro.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
I don't understand people that come in and say their car is doing this or that but yet still keep hammering on the motor, you say it's so rich, black smoke is coming out then quote Lol, we'll my friend you won't be laughing when you have to rebuild the motor due to ring wash.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. No where did I say I was hammering on the motor? And I've actually been getting the car fixed? I just got the supercharger rebuilt, a housing seal replaced, the exhaust leak fixed. So you saying "black smoke is coming out then quote lol"? Ya you don't make sense.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Whips
. I also know for sure it's burning rich because of the black smoke out of the exhaust when reved. .
Originally Posted by moehorsepower
you say it's so rich, black smoke is coming out then quote Lol, we'll my friend you won't be laughing when you have to rebuild the motor due to ring wash.
I believe MoreHP was referring to your statement of it running rich as you have black smoke out the tail pipe

OP, as advised you need to get the tune right for the larger injectors as running excessively rich can cause significant engine damage

does your oil smell like gas?

Since you had your SC rebuilt sounds like you are staying with that power adder so get a good tune for the set up you have, especially with the larger injectors that if I understand you right the motor has not been tuned for yet
Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

So you've spent lots of money so far on blowers and what not and have still neglected to get the PCM tuned? It was tuned last nearly 20 years ago?? And no telling how many mods have been added since; or if the original tuner was a hack and it's got a shitty tune to start with. At the very least get a halfway decent mail order tune with the mods you have; it's a little over $100.....that would help your issues quite a bit until you can get it to a good dyno tuner.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly like I stated in one of your other threads, I would be ditching all that outdated stuff and start fresh. A lot of that stuff is holding you back IMO.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Honestly like I stated in one of your other threads, I would be ditching all that outdated stuff and start fresh. A lot of that stuff is holding you back IMO.
I'm not going to be changing things out now, I'm probably looking into selling it, there's something else I want. It's a fun car and worth updating but I'm going to tune it and do a few other things to it to get it in great running shape and then sell it.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
So you've spent lots of money so far on blowers and what not and have still neglected to get the PCM tuned? It was tuned last nearly 20 years ago?? And no telling how many mods have been added since; or if the original tuner was a hack and it's got a shitty tune to start with. At the very least get a halfway decent mail order tune with the mods you have; it's a little over $100.....that would help your issues quite a bit until you can get it to a good dyno tuner.
I spent around 1.3k rebuilding the supercharger, it was sent off to the place that does the older paxtons now and they completely rebuilt it, it was done right. I'm going to get it dyno tuned real soon.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3Whips
I spent around 1.3k rebuilding the supercharger, it was sent off to the place that does the older paxtons now and they completely rebuilt it, it was done right. I'm going to get it dyno tuned real soon.
Hopefully it will push more than 4-6 #s of boost now....that's barely worth the extra hassle and expense of a SC. I believe the old crappy non-intercooled Powerdyne superchargers would make that much boost and they only add like 50-60hp.....enough to keep up with a stock LS1! LMAO

An intercooler would be a worthwhile investment if you do keep it.

Quick Reply: What to do to go faster?