LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Would you replace this rear main seal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would you replace this rear main seal?

Ok, doing a clutch install and debating whether or not to put in a new rear main seal in while I'm at it. I'm nervous I'll get it back together and it will leak! Car has 50k miles. The oil pan seal was a tad "damp" with oil under the rear main seal, which I smeared with my nitrile glove before taking this pic. It was hard to tell where it was coming from. I did find the oil pan bolts to be a bit loose, so a torqued them down appropriately. Here's a pic:

Whatcha think?!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure. Their $15 and easy to change. You've done the hard part...pulling the trans. Remember to grease the rubber of the new seal.

Last edited by 94FBIRD; 11-05-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-05-2015, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You're asking, so in your mind the seal is questionable. You're right there. No better time than now.

Would really suck to not change it and then have to pull the trans back out to change it.

That's what I'd do.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I'll go ahead and do it. Seems like there is now a rubber one and a Teflon one. Is there a preference? This may be a dumb question, but should I expect any oil to come out when I pull the seal? Sounds like if you use the Teflon one, it goes in dry. Not sure how that's possible if the area is oily by nature?

Thanks for the advice, guys!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

Buy the rubber one hands down. Never had a Teflon seal. And yes that one is leaking.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DO NOT DO TEFLON! I put one in new rebuild and it leaked from minute one. It was a Fel- Pro. Went back to a stock GM. Really, I am pretty sure it was under $20.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, guys. I got the rubber one and installed it today. Really pretty straightforward. Not sure what would make one leak vs not leak in an install, so I guess we'll see when I start her up! As always, I appreciate the advice!
Old 11-07-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by germ79
Thanks, guys. I got the rubber one and installed it today. Really pretty straightforward. Not sure what would make one leak vs not leak in an install, so I guess we'll see when I start her up! As always, I appreciate the advice!
most seals fail on the first 5 revolutions, because of lack of lubrication, ALWAYS, ALWAYS lub the lips of the seal and the "shaft that it seals to. I use STP of Lubber PLate lithum greese
Old 11-08-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
DO NOT DO TEFLON! I put one in new rebuild and it leaked from minute one. It was a Fel- Pro. Went back to a stock GM. Really, I am pretty sure it was under $20.
Originally Posted by Tinbender59
most seals fail on the first 5 revolutions, because of lack of lubrication, ALWAYS, ALWAYS lub the lips of the seal and the "shaft that it seals to. I use STP of Lubber PLate lithum greese
Just curious, "94FBIRD", did you oil it before you installed it?

If you choose to go with the Teflon seal, you DO NOT oil it before installation! There is a plastic "installation sleeve" that is in place on the seal, when it comes out of the package. You install the seal over the crank, using this sleeve to protect it during the install. After the seal is in place, the sleeve slides out.

If you use a rubber seal, then yes, you oil it before installation. GM switched to the Teflon seal on the '97 model year.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just curious, "94FBIRD", did you oil it before you installed it?

If you choose to go with the Teflon seal, you DO NOT oil it before installation! There is a plastic "installation sleeve" that is in place on the seal, when it comes out of the package. You install the seal over the crank, using this sleeve to protect it during the install. After the seal is in place, the sleeve slides out.

If you use a rubber seal, then yes, you oil it before installation. GM switched to the Teflon seal on the '97 model year.
I did not lube the Fel-Pro Teflon seal. I learned that before install. I argue the greased stock GM seal has not leaked a drop. Sticking with stock rubber... 21 years, I'm fine
Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, I don't use oil on my rear main seals. I use axle grease. Really, helpful tip for day.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
I did not lube the Fel-Pro Teflon seal. I learned that before install. I argue the greased stock GM seal has not leaked a drop. Sticking with stock rubber... 21 years, I'm fine
I wasn't arguing....a lot of people install the Teflon seal, but do oil it first, then wonder why it leaks. I was just passing on a "helpful hint".

Personally, I've used both types of seal, with good results.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I ended up using the rubber seal, as I wasn't confident I would be able to get the area oil-free for the Teflon one. So far so good! The install was really pretty straight forward. It went in easier than I was anticipating it would. Now, if I could only figure out where the leak in the FRONT is coming from...😩

Quick Reply: Would you replace this rear main seal?