LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 nightmares, curses, and omens.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default LT1 nightmares, curses, and omens.

**** the LT1. After this weekend, i can't begin to describe how much hate i have formed for this motor.

Obviously this is optispark related. I did everything right, marked my wires, fought them fishing them under the alternator and power steering, and finally triumphed the plugs this morning after starting 9am yesterday, working until 2am, then starting again 830 this morning.

I replaced the entire unit, replaced the water pump, replaced the coil, wires and plugs. Everything ACDelco except the plus. NGK G power platinum. Oh, and a 165* thermostat.

Everything went together fine except the plugs and wires. 80% of the time was spent fighting the passenger side plugs and wires.

So, after everything is together, firing order is right, it runs like dog ****. Misses, bad, backfires, almost seems like i have a short.

Just turning the ignition on, my tach is jumping with the car off. Not much, maybe 1 or 2rpm line then back to zero. I gotta give it gas and hold the throttle open to keep it running.

Timing is off, but I have all the wires in the right spot on the cap and plugs. I think i put the optispark back on right, what's the easiest way to verify this?

I really don't want to remove it unless i absolutely have to.

Help me out before i load the engine bay with Tannerite.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

what year is your car? is the opti splined or has the pin? i know you said you checked, but recheck your wires. you can run the car for a few seconds with the water pump off once you check the opti. and the wire routing. the wires could be arking as well. have someone start it at night and look for any blue sparks. be patient sir. i had to chase down a grounded wire. took bout 2 weeks to find. just take your time. if you are getting frustrated, just stop and walk away lol., you will be surprised how clearing your mind will help when you go back to work. good luck
Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, did you replace the opti too? some coolant could have gotten in the opti and fried it.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by demonsmokr
**** the LT1. After this weekend, i can't begin to describe how much hate i have formed for this motor.

Obviously this is optispark related....
Is it now? How exactly did you come to that conclusion? What troubleshooting steps have you done other than shout obscenities at the engine?

How was it running before you touched it to replace the Optispark?

It's obvious you are frustrated, and that's okay. If you can, you need to walk away from that car, then come back to it with a clear head....and the right equipment/knowledge to diagnose the issue.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When your mind is clear I'd check for cracked spark plugs too..
Old 02-08-2016, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my opti I was 100 percent positive I had it on right until I started it and it sounded like what your describing. Left water pump off re checked the distributor spline and sure as **** it was off a little fixed it and restarted with pump off and it ran like a charm then finished the install. I would stat there
Old 02-08-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT1s are a love-hate relationship. Start with the easy things first and triple check everything.
But yeah, was it running good before? and why did you have to replace the opti in the first place? A bit more info might help
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

96 LT1, bone stock, m6.

I replaced the opti because at 102k, it started running rough, sucking down gas, and would miss sometimes under high load at higher rpms.

My water pump sprung a good leak, so i figured since u was there, **** it and replace the opti. Replaced the entire thing with an ACDelco. It's the pin driven one, not the spline.

Doesn't this only go on one way? I took it off exactly how i put it on, so i think.

I'm frustrated as ****. I was ready to say **** it, junk the car, and buy a beater civic. I was that mad this morning. Done this all alone, on my back with midget jack stands.

Anyways, car is at my buddy's shop. We double checked firing order, but then he fudged up 2 wires trying to get them back in their stupid groove under the power steering pump. He had other cars to work on, so mine gets the back burner because it's free, dammit.

So, i told him to get custom length wires to route them outside of the cluster **** that is the PS, AC and manifolds. He hasn't got them yet, still debating on doing that.

I'm just frustrated as hell. All the front parts and driver side plugs and wires were easy. The passenger side literally kicked my ***. I'm beyond sore from playing circus freak contortionist all weekend.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

I dropped #8 plug while i was trying to install it. Dropped the socket, and it feel to down and needed to be re gapped. That was the only one that got a boo boo. I don't think it was cracked.

I haven't noticed any arcing, but haven't tried starting it at night. I work graveyard shift, so my week is pretty fucked for daylight. Pretty much only have the weekends to work on it.

I get off at 3am, get home about 345, and don't pass out till 5ish. Then wake up around noon to start the grind again at 430. I pick up a coworker, so that eats up more time before work.

Fortunately/unfortunately i gotta wake up early tomorrow because the wife is taking the baby to the doctor. She's dropping me off at the shop, coworker is setting up another ride, so I'll have a couple hours before work tomorrow.

Hopefully i can get it running good.

Then i gotta decide if i wanna stay with the 4th gen, or revert back to what I'm more familiar with and that's the 3rd Gen. This weekend has really did a number on my motivation for this car.

I either gotta take this as a need to invest in more tools, or switch cars.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Proper Tools Always make the Job go Smoother but if You didnt hold the Opti Rotor & it got rotated one way or the other Your Off a notch!!! When I built the 355 LT1 for My S10 ext cab solid axle 4x4 I took the Guys Word that the Opti was New & of Good Manufacturing... A/C Delco or Delphi... Well it Wasnt & I had to pull it because the Guy bought the Cheapest Cap & Rotor AutoZone had & the thing burned threw on every cylinder/spark path in the sonofbitch LoL I was Pissed!!! But I forked out the Cash for a Good 1 that I knew would Work &,when it got there Yeah it was a little more work than all the 3rd gens Ive owned But I held the rotor so the dots/hash marks or whatever You wanna call em Lined Up & also put a lil assy lube on the seal so it would slide in a bit easier & never had 1 problem The S10 with solid axles 4.10 posi units & 35s is Way more Fun than any 3rd gen I had LoL & they prolly Weigh about the Same LoL
It takes Some Guys a few go rounds before they get it But its Worth it Otherwise Spend a chunk of change & get rid of the Opti with a 24X conversion...Its Way more Work & Money Though!!!
Just pull it back off & line the dot up with the dowel pin!!! Also dont gap them plugs at .060 or .055 even do .045 Your Coil will thank You later LoL My junk Runs Way better with Less Gap & If I remember right theres a GM Tech Bulletin somewhere bout it...
Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 AM
TECH Resident

Oh and Unless Your Tuned for a 165 or 160 thermostat Get the Stock 185 Itll run better!!! With a 160ish thermo itll run Fatter than it Already Does!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fuel pressure.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

96 LT1, bone stock, m6.

I replaced the opti because at 102k, it started running rough, sucking down gas, and would miss sometimes under high load at higher rpms.

My water pump sprung a good leak, so i figured since u was there, **** it and replace the opti. Replaced the entire thing with an ACDelco. It's the pin driven one, not the spline.

Doesn't this only go on one way? I took it off exactly how i put it on, so i think.
the pin driven ones have a notch that the pin goes in.
https://www.google.com/search?q=1995...YnF9l6RZmGM%3A the index grove is the one the pin goes in. see the pointer in the pic
Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Launching!

I had to change out my opti a couple times to get running well, i decided to get the over the valve cover length wires, which made that job exponentially easier. It ran better after as well...must have had some arcs i couldn't see
Old 02-09-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
the pin driven ones have a notch that the pin goes in.
https://www.google.com/search?q=1995...YnF9l6RZmGM%3A the index grove is the one the pin goes in. see the pointer in the pic
I believe that's the one i put it in. That's the one i tried. What are the mistakes that can be made there? Is it possible i got it in one of the other 2 keyways? Or possible i missed it all together?

I just got to the shop, he ran the wires again by removing the power steering and alternator. Firing order is correct.

We're about to test everything
Old 02-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I replaced the entire unit, replaced the water pump, replaced the coil, wires and plugs.
Why? Had you confirmed all of those components were bad?
Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Why? Had you confirmed all of those components were bad?
Water pump yes, plugs yes, burnt to hell, passenger side wires were original, was original opti, after taking it apart, i found it was burnt to. I'll get pictures later, that's at the house.

Coil i changed just because.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

P1371

After rewiring it, it ran a little better. He said i had #4 and #6 swapped. Which makes sense, i got those 2 crossed in the groove, but we're the same length wire, so i switched them at the opti, and i *thought* i got them right at the plug. I did not.

But still runs rough. Seems like one try it struggles really bad, then the next it fits up but stalls.

I'm hoping it's just the harness, and not the unit. The box was not in the best of shape when it arrived from FedEx.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Any backfiring?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P1371

After rewiring it, it ran a little better. He said i had #4 and #6 swapped. Which makes sense, i got those 2 crossed in the groove, but we're the same length wire, so i switched them at the opti, and i *thought* i got them right at the plug. I did not.

But still runs rough. Seems like one try it struggles really bad, then the next it fits up but stalls.

I'm hoping it's just the harness, and not the unit. The box was not in the best of shape when it arrived from FedEx.
So did the second optispark "die" or did you just replace it ***** nilly with a new one as maintenance after it got wet? It might be possible your new opti is the root of the issue....AC Delco no longer makes new ones, 99% the AC delco opts on the market now are remanufactured is my understanding...correct me if wrong. Maybe try the old opti with a new cap and rotor, but don't hook up the water pump to see if it runs normal for a few seconds.

Last edited by ahritchie; 02-09-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 nightmares, curses, and omens.