LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Good tranny for the street/strip on lt1??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good tranny for the street/strip on lt1??

Ive heard the 4L60E is garbage! Witch is what I have in my 94 z28 camaro. Id like to put somthing a little more beefier! Something that will with hold the power I soon to put infront of it. Plans are for a 383 stroker lt1. No turbo. No nos. Just straightall motor power! With a good strong cam. Weekend worrier/street. Strip car.

I did a little bit of searching around an so far ive came up with a TH350..or a TH400 for a good choice. Am I correct or what would you recommend? AND will those trannys bolt right up to my lt1?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Keep the 4l60e that you have and have a reputable shop work their magic on it. I certainly wouldn't take it just anywhere so I'd recommend doing some research and find a forum vendor etc. who specifically specializes in these transmissions.

The 4l60e leaves a bit to be desired in stock trim but they can be made to be quite stout especially with the right person working on it. I had mine built back in 2009. Since then, I've had countless 11 second passes, 1.5 60 foots and burnouts with it, and it's great.

Make sure to run a trans cooler. And not sure if you didn't know but the TH350's and 400's don't have overdrive. You said street/strip so I'd assume you want overdrive. I'm pretty sure there is a way to incorporate od into them but I'm not knowledgable in that subject.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 04-14-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Keep the 4l60e that you have and have a reputable shop work their magic on it. I certainly wouldn't take it just anywhere so I'd recommend doing some research and find a forum vendor etc. who specifically specializes in these transmissions.

The 4l60e leaves a bit to be desired in stock trim but they can be made to be quite stout especially with the right person working on it. I had mine built back in 2009. Since then, I've had countless 11 second passes, 1.5 60 foots and burnouts with it, and it's great.

Make sure to run a trans cooler. And not sure if you didn't know but the TH350's and 400's don't have overdrive. You said street/strip so I'd assume you want overdrive. I'm pretty sure there is a way to incorporate od into them but I'm not knowledgable in that subject.

Well im aiming for the end game. Full strip only car. So if I loose OD its not going to hurt my feelings lol. So your confident in the tranny I have now?...just getting it beefed up?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1J07
Ive heard the 4L60E is garbage! Witch is what I have in my 94 z28 camaro. Id like to put somthing a little more beefier!......
For a serious race transmission that you can also use on the street,
read this wiki entry and especially what it says at the bottom about racing --->> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerglide

Then check the below links.

http://www.bteracing.com/category/po...etransmissions

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...ype/powerglide

http://www.atiracing.com/products/tr...uperglide4.htm

And you really oughtta read this, too. --->> http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/tra...mission-build/

KW
Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Th400, 4L80e, 4L60e, and powerglides are all good choices depending on power goals and usage. The 4L60e is the hardest to build right where as the th400 and 4L80e will be strongest in with the least modification. The powerglides will be the most race oriented. All but the 4L60e will require a new drive shaft and relocation of the torque arm.

Last edited by myltwon; 04-15-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
Th400, 4L80e, 4L60e, and powerglides are all good choices depending on power goals and usage. The 4L60e is the hardest to build right where as the th400 and 4L80e will be strongest in with the least modification. The powerglides will be the most race oriented. All but the 4L60e will require a new drive shaft and relocation of the torque arm.
If he is racing, the TA should not be on the tailshaft anyway. And I have a factory length DS in my 80e car. #magic?

OP, go with a torqueflite
Old 04-15-2016, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't need the Bruce Jenner of trannys for a 383, th400 and 4l80e are strong but heavy and soak up power with their big parts, th350 built right would be a good cheap choice.

What are your plans for the motor and chassis?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
You don't need the Bruce Jenner of trannys for a 383, th400 and 4l80e are strong but heavy and soak up power with their big parts, th350 built right would be a good cheap choice.

What are your plans for the motor and chassis?

As far as a build sheet, im still collecting as much info about what I want to do before I start it. You know for like, what heads are best. What cam, crank, rods, pistons. The whole 9 yards. Bc at first I was just going to get on jegs an click away lol but I found this site an figured I would get some ideals or useful info from guys thats already done it in a car exactly like mine... my "ideal" is a 383 stroker lt1. Good size cam. New or rebuilt Heads that will work best for my application, im prolly going to still use the stick intake, maybe just have it ported an polished or somthing along those lines. New pistons an rods. Crank. An have a good strong tranny to back up the power. As far as the chassis goses, to be honest I didnt really put any thought into the chassis other then getting a suspension kit from jegs or somthing. But I was expecting that to be very last. My first step is motor an trans. I dont plan on running it down the strip the min I get it done. Just a weekend hot rod..but with plenty of power (450-500rwhp is my goal) an if I get a hair up my *** one day an want to take it to the track, an run the dog **** out of it I want components that will handle that. But the end game (few years from now) will be strickly a drag car.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Finish Line Transmissions for 4L60E rebuild. I'm running their level 5 (got it lightly used) and many others have hammered on their level 4 at the strip over the years.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myltwon
Ok..will a powerglide out of a 67 an 66 corvair bolt up to an lt1? If so I have 2 of them just sitting in my dads garage. Never knew they was powerglides -_-
Old 04-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Teching In

https://youtu.be/H2Ew9bXyuxc

Check this video out. Thats what I want!! Lol it shifts soo smooth..theres no jump when it shifts like how my car doses now with the 4l60e. Just cruising leaving from a stop, when it shifts into 2nd it like jumps.. I hate that! This video is exactly what im wanting for my weekend toy.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
If he is racing, the TA should not be on the tailshaft anyway. And I have a factory length DS in my 80e car. #magic?

OP, go with a torqueflite
Whoops didn't mean to include the 4L80e for that part. You has factory pcm and trans brace?

Glides are great racing transmissions but pretty weak in stock form. A well setup glide is a good trans, a stock one is not IMO.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

"factory" PCM, yes
BMR 80e trans mount.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1J07
.........I dont plan on running it down the strip the min I get it done. Just a weekend hot rod..but with plenty of power (450-500rwhp is my goal)..........the end game (few years from now) will be strickly a drag car.
Oooooo-K!

KW
Old 04-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Teching In

GO WITH CAHALL TRANSMISSIONS THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST AT BUILDING PERFORMANCE 4L60E'S.THEY CAN BUILD YOU A TRANNY THAT YOU CAN THROW ANYTHING AT.THEY ARE lOCATED IN DELAWARE BUT THEY WILL SHIP.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A 4L60e is just as strong as a TH350. After doing all the mods necessary to build up and install a TH350, it will cost the same if not more than a 4L60e. But, you loose the steep first gear and OD of the 4L60e.

The 4L60e is not without it's faults though. It seems to have a high failure rate, but that's because there are hundreds of millions of these transmissions out there. That's not an exaggeration either.

It wasn't designed for high horsepower. But it did get stronger throughout it's production run. So, there's factory options available to increase it's strength. And aftermarket, there's a ton available. It will never be as strong as an 80e, but it won't soak up as much power either.

For high RPM applications, the 3/4 pack tends to burn up from centrifugal apply. There's a drill mod for that (you drill a .035" hole in the input drum to bleed fluid during high RPM).

Read this.

What is your target 1/4 mile time. I think that will play more of a role than anything else. In the mean time, I'd say rebuild your current trans, stronger sun shell, drill mod the input drum along with the 3/4 pack upgrade, and adjust the tune for quicker shifts.

Quick Reply: Good tranny for the street/strip on lt1??