LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trans Being a PITA!!!

Old 05-03-2016, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Being a PITA!!!

So I got everything ready to go. I have the engine sitting level on a towel and for the life of me I can not get this transmission to slide all the way on. I'm a pretty stout guy so basically I just muscle the damn thing. Anymore suggestions please let the brain juices flow cause I was trying to slide this thing on for a hour before I took it down last night.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like the trans isn't perfectly straight to the engine. Probably binding up on the pilot bearing.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

I have gotten closer, but still not mated...�� this is kicking my @$$!!! How do you know your not messing up the teeth in the clutch; and of your all the way in the pilot bearing?
Old 05-03-2016, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Old 05-03-2016, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Both of the dowell pins are in, the passenger side a lil more then the other...
Old 05-03-2016, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When you are that close, aren't you fighting the PP fingers???

Just make sure to spin the back of the trans (mainly wanting to rotate the input shaft) to allow it to "find" the splines on the clutch disk.

I remember the same thing when I put mine in. I knew the input shaft splines lined up with the clutch disk because otherwise I don't think you can push the trans in that far. I used 2 bolts on either side to criss-cross and pull the trans against the motor.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sometimes the dowel pins can have enough pressure that will not allow you to do it by hand. sometimes i uses 2 or 4 bolts even apart to help draw it in. also make sure the trans is in neutral so the input shaft can adjust to the clutch disc.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smitty2919
When you are that close, aren't you fighting the PP fingers??
That's what I thought. Like I can't be this close and it won't just slide the rest of the way... I'm definitely defeated... when I try to pull the trans back off now it's hard as hell. I don't want to go backwards if I don't have to. I might take it off and take the bellhousing off the trans.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Best way to go about stabbing a new trans is to have the bellhousing on the block first. Doing so with it attached to trans makes it more awkward. From that space it does indeed look like you may be fighting the pilot bearing. Is it a bearing or bushing?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I think it's a bushing, looks like this
Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Well the dowell pins didn't totally fit.... Like stated several times I pulled the bell housing. And little behold the dowell pins were totally **** blocking me... Lol, hopefully the rest just goes right in.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure your pilot bushing is fully seated in the block. Also I agree with SSRRR. It's much easier to put the bell housing on the block FIRST, then put the trans on. Waaay easier. Also make sure your throw out fork isn't causing the issue, make sure it's seated properly.
Your issue is probably the optispark tho.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

I tried everything now the trans is not hooking up...SMH... I been doing this for 7 hours. I needed to walk away before I did something to my newly built engine and transmission I use the alignment tool, I made sure pilot bearing was flush, used all OEM torque specs, I even talked nasty to this thing...lol I think it's better to go watch playoff basketball and come with a level head tomorrow. PISSED
Old 05-03-2016, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Current situation... Lol
Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say the clutch disc is just slightly out of alignment, causing you to bind up on the pilot bearing. Try lifting the alignment tool slightly before torquing down the PP, then look down the TOB and make sure it's prefectly centered. Then it should slide in no problem. Once the trans. guide pins touch the bellhousing, you're safe to suck it in with the bolts.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Right back in here after a couple of hours away. If I was doing this in my drive way it would be impossible... But still no luck, the dowell pins won't line up to save my life. At this point it's almost worth it to crank on screws till I get it on. All I see happening is the pilot bearing gets pushed out. This **** has got my number.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the clutch is aligned then you could be fighting the spring on the slave. Mine fought me for the last part. I used two longer bolts to pull it in the last 1/2 inch or so.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
If the clutch is aligned then you could be fighting the spring on the slave.
LT1's don't have an internal slave, thankfully.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I'd say the clutch disc is just slightly out of alignment, causing you to bind up on the pilot bearing. Try lifting the alignment tool slightly before torquing down the PP, then look down the TOB and make sure it's prefectly centered. Then it should slide in no problem. Once the trans. guide pins touch the bellhousing, you're safe to suck it in with the bolts.
This is exactly what we were thinking too. If that clutch is a multi-disc, one of them may just be slightly off, causing the shaft to not slip fully into the pilot. When you bolt the clutch up, you want to make sure the alignment tool can slip in and out very easily. If it takes pressure, most likely you'll have this same problem. See if anyone you know has a metal alignment tool you can borrow, since they have much tighter clearances and more rigid.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
I used two longer bolts to pull it in the last 1/2 inch or so.
Don't ever draw the trans on using bolts when there should be no resistance whatsoever as it should slide to place. The one thing I have been eyeballing is it seems the gap between the engine block and flywheel is a bit much, at least to me. What brand is it? Put some grease on the end of the TO bearing (pic enclosed), try to mount the trans again. I am wondering if the end of the TO bearing is coming into contact with the trans/input shaft case. Take trans back off and see if there is any grease on the case. If there isn't you need to take the clutch off and make sure the trans input shaft does actually mate with the TO bearing, unless you already tested it before installing it?

Last edited by SS RRR; 11-14-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans Being a PITA!!!