LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Help on LT1 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help on LT1 Camaro Z28

I have a 1995 Z28 and its been parked for 3 to 4 years. I got it running i thought i had a blown head gasket but it doesnt. I wondering if anyone has experienced the car running on idle and it gets hot you can hear the water boiling the fans turn on, it doesnt blow hot air any suggestions please thank you?
Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water boiling is probably a head gasket. The only other thing that can cause that is the overflow tank has two hoses that look identical in size. If they are hooked up in the wrong order (swapped) they can cause overheating issues/introduce air into the system.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by alaska_guy
water boiling is probably a head gasket. The only other thing that can cause that is the overflow tank has two hoses that look identical in size. If they are hooked up in the wrong order (swapped) they can cause overheating issues/introduce air into the system.
Well its just running hot also the dipstick is a little milky but i have down some head gaskets test and its not thank god. Someone told me i need to do a coolant flush and a engine flush also change the gasket on the jntake manifold. Also reading some other thread are the heat core any other suggestions
Old 05-23-2016, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milky looking oil on the dipstick is a sign of a blown head gasket.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^^ yes it is

what "head gasket test" did you do?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ******
^^^^ yes it is

what "head gasket test" did you do?
I did the one with the radiator that changes colors and it doesnt blow smoke it runs hot. I think i do have a blown headgasket dammit!!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Maybe the thermostat
Old 05-23-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by boydracing
Maybe the thermostat
Someone from Chevrolet dealership told me the LT1s have bad intake manifold gaskets cz it does have a pil leak and it does drip coolant threw there but i dont know. Im doing all that tomorrow. Coolant flush and taking of the thermostate to check tempature
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Teching In

I'm in the process of ls1 swap
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by elferoz1982
Someone from Chevrolet dealership told me the LT1s have bad intake manifold gaskets cz it does have a pil leak and it does drip coolant threw there but i dont know. Im doing all that tomorrow. Coolant flush and taking of the thermostate to check tempature
If "someone from Chevrolet" told you something about leaking coolant and the intake, they obviously know nothing about an LT1. An LT1 has a "dry" intake (meaning no coolant going through it).
Old 05-23-2016, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by shbox
If "someone from Chevrolet" told you something about leaking coolant and the intake, they obviously know nothing about an LT1. An LT1 has a "dry" intake (meaning no coolant going through it).
Yeah thats what im thinking. I just hate it nobody can tell me exactly what it is. I have someone going to look at my motor on thursday and see wassup. I just hope its not my head gasket
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

There's a possibility it's the oil cooler but it's probably a head gasket
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by ElkySS
There's a possibility it's the oil cooler but it's probably a head gasket
If its the head gasket then i will have to rebuild it
Old 05-24-2016, 05:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The other spot for coolant to get into the oil is the radiator and the oil cooler, if the radiator is cracked.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 AM
TECH Veteran

If you don't have an oil cooler and you have milky oil, then it's gonna be a head gasket (or it sat through winters with not enough anti-freeze and the block is cracked).
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
The other spot for coolant to get into the oil is the radiator and the oil cooler, if the radiator is cracked.
No oil is routed to the radiator. The lines for the cooler have coolant in them and heat transfer is made at the filter adapter. Oil could mix with the coolant there, if the adapter was bad.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by shbox
No oil is routed to the radiator. The lines for the cooler have coolant in them and heat transfer is made at the filter adapter. Oil could mix with the coolant there, if the adapter was bad.
Well im only going off the test i did for the block came put negative. The dipstick shows milky oil it runs hot about 240 degrees but just stays there and it doesnt blow no hot air. Doesnt blow smoke it just passed emissions. Do you guys recommend any other tests easy to check it?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No hot air means there is either a clog in the cooling system or air.

Milky oil..... Usually a head gasket. But, as others have stated it could also be a crack in the oil cooler (the oil filter screws onto the oil cooler).

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you live in high humidity it could also be water in the oil from sitting for 4 years.

Did you flush the oil and cooling system? If not, do it. Then run it again. If the oil is milky after flushing both, you know what the issue is.

OR you can drain the oil and leave the oil plug off. Then go get one of those radiator flush kits from AutoZone and put pressure on the cooling system (don't apply full garden hose pressure, it it 50-65 psi and will damage the heater core, radiator, and/or hoses. If you leave the radiator cap on it will vent at ~18 psi so when it starts venting turn it down until its a small constant drip from there). With pressure on for about an hour, check for water coming out of the oil drain plug. If nothing, turn the engine over by hand a few times (with the spark plugs removed) and see if water comes out of the spark plug holes. If all checks out good, it's most likely just water accumulation from sitting for years. If water comes from the drain plug, it's a bad head gasket, cracked head, or oil cooler. If nothing comes out until you spin the engine, it's a cracked head.

Last edited by hrcslam; 05-24-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by hrcslam
No hot air means there is either a clog in the cooling system or air.

Milky oil..... Usually a head gasket. But, as others have stated it could also be a crack in the oil cooler (the oil filter screws onto the oil cooler).

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you live in high humidity it could also be water in the oil from sitting for 4 years.

Did you flush the oil and cooling system? If not, do it. Then run it again. If the oil is milky after flushing both, you know what the issue is.

OR you can drain the oil and leave the oil plug off. Then go get one of those radiator flush kits from AutoZone and put pressure on the cooling system (don't apply full garden hose pressure, it it 50-65 psi and will damage the heater core, radiator, and/or hoses. If you leave the radiator cap on it will vent at ~18 psi so when it starts venting turn it down until its a small constant drip from there). With pressure on for about an hour, check for water coming out of the oil drain plug. If nothing, turn the engine over by hand a few times (with the spark plugs removed) and see if water come out of the spark plug holes. If all checks out good, it's most likely just water accumulation from sitting for years. If oil comes from the drain plug, it's a bad head gasket, cracked head, or oil cooler. If nothing comes out until you spin the engine, it's a cracked head.
Thank you this is very helpful im doing both flushes today hopefully they work thank you so much !!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

You don't have to rebuild the motor because of a blown head gasket. I mean, you can. But you don't have to. Although, I would reccomend Impala SS head gaskets while you're there. They are thinner and will bring you compression ratio up to about 11:1. That is, if you plan to mod it.

Quick Reply: Need Help on LT1 Camaro Z28