LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trouble removing harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble removing harmonic balancer

I've tried everything I can think of to get my harmonic balancer pulley off, without a puller. I've searched everywhere and I don't know how I would use a puller without pulling the whole hub off, maybe I'm misunderstanding something?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

It's not a balancer. It has no heavy side. It's a damper. If you are wanting to separate it from the crank hub you need to get a hammer and tap around it. Rust/corrosion build up and it practically welds itself on. Once you feel some play start rocking it back and forth and eventually it'll come off. Just watch your head if you're under it. There's no warning once it comes off.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It's not a balancer. It has no heavy side. It's a damper. If you are wanting to separate it from the crank hub you need to get a hammer and tap around it. Rust/corrosion build up and it practically welds itself on. Once you feel some play start rocking it back and forth and eventually it'll come off. Just watch your head if you're under it. There's no warning once it comes off.

Any tips on getting around the sway bar? Its in like the worst spot possible it seems, everyone has said just use a piece of wood/mallet/hammer and but it isn't that easy for me somehow I can't really get anything in there.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You can use a 3 jaw puller.

If you have a later model pulley, it has holes in it for using a crows foot (balancer) puller.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Thirdgens88
Any tips on getting around the sway bar? Its in like the worst spot possible it seems, everyone has said just use a piece of wood/mallet/hammer and but it isn't that easy for me somehow I can't really get anything in there.
Socket extension, and just tap around the damper. Don't swing. All you're trying to do is knock it loose so you can rock it back/forth off the crank hub.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What are you trying to do? These are 2 piece units, the outer piece is held on by three bolts and comes off easily, the hub requires a 3 jaw puller you can rent from O;Riley's or Auto zone. There are several YouTube videos on how to remove these..
Old 08-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by cookseyb
What are you trying to do? These are 2 piece units, the outer piece is held on by three bolts and comes off easily, .
It reads as though he's trying to separate the hub from the pulley. If it's been on there for awhile it will not be easy to come off.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Got it off with a 3 claw puller, thanks guys

Quick Reply: Trouble removing harmonic balancer